Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford and Odsal

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 19 2010, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mean blame the RFL because Bradford have a poor stadium or because they weren't "in the mix" with Cas etc?

These days what do Bradford bring that Cas don't? Is it because they are named after a city and won SL a few years back?

Sky games at Cas have far more atmosphere, and they have more than one song wink.gif

One rule for some another rule for others

Its a licence issue, and you can rant all you like tongue.gif

The RFL released the grading of each of the 14 clubs on 23 July 2008.[10]

A licence

Hull FC
Leeds Rhinos
Warrington Wolves

B licence

Bradford Bulls
St Helens
Wigan Warriors

C licence

Castleford Tigers
Catalans Dragons
Celtic Crusaders
Harlequins
Hull KR
Huddersfield Giants
Salford City Reds
Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

So there you have it, and thats why Cas, Wakey and Salford are turding it.

Now can this thread be put to bed.

#22 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

In the words of Lilly Allen and the voice of Lobby,

" it's not fair and I think you're really mean
I think you're really mean
yes I think you're really mean"

#23 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 19 2010, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[

The date is quite important there - do you feel nothing has changed since then?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#24 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Aug 19 2010, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The date is quite important there - do you feel nothing has changed since then?

You'll need to ask the RFL

Richard Lewis, the RFLs Executive Chairman, said: The three clubs that received A grade licences deserve special commendation as they are impressive both on and off the field. Of course we hope these clubs maintain these high standards over the licence period.

The goal for the other 11 teams is to look at the detailed feedback they have received this morning from the RFL on their licence application and work out what they need to do to achieve an A grade next time round. The hard work for many starts here.

For clubs who have ambitions for new stadiums, they need to ensure by 2010 when the next licence application process starts, that they are more than just plans. The clubs that have missed out this time round will be even more determined to win a licence in the future.

#25 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

A licence

Hull FC
Leeds Rhinos
Warrington Wolves

B licence

Bradford Bulls
St Helens
Wigan Warriors

C licence

Castleford Tigers
Catalans Dragons
Celtic Crusaders
Harlequins
Hull KR
Huddersfield Giants
Salford City Reds

D Licence
A small town in Wigan
biggrin.gif

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#26 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

A licence

Hull FC
Leeds Rhinos
Warrington Wolves

B licence

Bradford Bulls
St Helens
Wigan Warriors

C licence

Castleford Tigers
Catalans Dragons
Celtic Crusaders
Harlequins
Hull KR
Huddersfield Giants
Salford City Reds

So there you have it, and thats why Cas, Wakey and Salford are turding it.

Now can this thread be put to bed.

Bradford go a "B" last time largely on the fact that their attendace before was not too bad (despite the obvious downward trend) and because they had finished consistently high in SL. That is no longer the case and now stadiums are coming much more under scrutiny. Even Saints had rightly had a scare and they were a grade B, but why not Bradford? Their stadium is utter ##### #### for modern day RL. My original thread was to question why Odsal is not in the mix this time around.

#27 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 19 2010, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something that is really making my blood boil at the moment is seeing all the ground status's of Salford, Wakey, Cas under pressure on Boots'n'all and SLS yet Odsal is never mentioned despite being far worse than Salford and Cas due to the sheer lack of cover and poor design for RL. Yes I know it is because the RFL did not mention it as an "at risk" ground. However why is that exactly? It is the worst ground to watch on telly by a country mile and completely unsuitable due to the threat of getting wet thru

Ange Powers said last week that a ground had to have 10k people under cover, yet Odsal does not have this so again surely it is time that this ground was put at risk too

It is the weakest link - goodbye

i would presume that there is more to the ground being a premier stadium than angela powers has commented on or than you can see from the tv..

just a guess of course..

plus not only that but yes they have been succesful and so they are not an at risk club with all the other crietria where as cas, wakey and salford all have issues and the stadium is on eof hte big dividers.. who ever doesnt have one is in trouble.

#28 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 19 2010, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bradford go a "B" last time largely on the fact that their attendace before was not too bad (despite the obvious downward trend) and because they had finished consistently high in SL. That is no longer the case and now stadiums are coming much more under scrutiny. Even Saints had rightly had a scare and they were a grade B, but why not Bradford? Their stadium is utter ##### #### for modern day RL. My original thread was to question why Odsal is not in the mix this time around.

Ok, They are currently "B", I agree with the decline etc etc, so when the next lot of licences are out we can agree we expect to see a "C" grade.

Bradford will then have to react in the same way as Cas, Wakey and Salford are currently doing.

and that my friend is the end of the matter. tongue.gif

#29 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

In the last licensing round, Bradford were a strong club and got a B licence. This time round, they have failed to reach the play-offs in 2009 and 2010, so they are weaker there. I don't know what their juniors are like (junior development is supposed to be one of the criteria), but their ground is a cause for concern. It is quite conceivable that Bradford will be seen as weaker this time and that will put them under real pressure for the next licensing round. Lobby, I think you are 3 years ahead of your time! wink.gif

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#30 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (tonyXIII @ Aug 19 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the last licensing round, Bradford were a strong club and got a B licence. This time round, they have failed to reach the play-offs in 2009 and 2010, so they are weaker there. I don't know what their juniors are like (junior development is supposed to be one of the criteria), but their ground is a cause for concern. It is quite conceivable that Bradford will be seen as weaker this time and that will put them under real pressure for the next licensing round. Lobby, I think you are 3 years ahead of your time! wink.gif

SPOT ON 100%

Gobby Lobby is three years ahead of his time wink.gif wink.gif
He is as bad as Paris ohmy.gif

When the next criteria is out, Bradford will have to react accordingly ( as Cas, Salford, Wakey & Saints have /are)

#31 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,570 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Aug 19 2010, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whatever you say he makes a very valid point - Brafords succes over the years is still fresh in peoples memories so they are seen as one fo the bigger clubs buit are they really?

The stadium IS rubbish, fact
The true depth of Bradfords support is now being shown as not that much greater than Cas or Wakefield

I think Lobby has a point as well.
Odsal is plug ugly, it's vast and depressing, and he's right about the under cover accommodadtion.
but the actual facilities in themselves are quite good(apart from, again that cover). The main stand is fairly modern and conforms to standards, there is a modern almost new sponsors complex at one end, and massive, reasonably well maintained terracing at the other.
It is a white elephant these days and must cost a fortune to maintain. Odsal is vastly superior to Belle Vue and the Jungle.
That true depth still surpasses what they achieved in succesful years pre SL
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#32 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

Not to mention the pre-match entertainment.

cool.gif

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#33 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (tonyXIII @ Aug 19 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last time round, Bulls scored 7 out of 10. You needed 5-7 for a B Licence. See below. Might make interesting reading for the pathetic fekkwits who seem to think its all about the newness of and facilities at your ground (clue: its one of TEN criteria)

Capacity of 12,000 YES 1
Premier competition standard ground NO 0
Average crowd of 10,000 YES 1
Operating at 40 per cent full YES 1
Turn over 4million YES 1
Solvent YES 1
Contribution to competition YES 1
Junior development YES 1
No salary cap breaches NO 0
No club within 20 miles NO 0

GRAND TOTAL 7
LICENSING GRADE B

If the same criteria apply this time round, then you would expect worst case 1,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,0 = 5 = B Grade still. Even now. It could be better depending on crowds and what years are used, and how "contribution to competition is actually judged i.e anything wider than just finishing in the play-off.

Of course, if the criteria change then so could the gradings. But maybe once and for all Gobshte will shut up about the ground being the be-all and end all???

Incidentally, for the avoidance of doubt, Bulls junior development is beyond question now and the club is one of the few that is solvent (although I gather they are softening the rules on solvency this time round...)

We'd only have to close the Rooley Avenue terrace and thereby reduce ground capacity to earn another point...

#34 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 19 2010, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It needs a serious overhaul over there at Bradford, the days of them having 20,000 crowds and regular final appearances is long gone, and the fans have gone with it! I don't think they are in danger of losing their superleague licence, but its job on for those in charge to get them moving forward as a club because in every depatment from marketing to player base they are failing.

Maybe we can get a new stadium pretty well given to us by Tesco to solve the problem at modest cost? Maybe you can give us some tips there?

We DID try that, of course, but local politics killed it off. Others, who were in a much worse state than us, were rather more fortunate, were they not? There but for the grace of God...

Incidentally, Bulls are most definitely NOT "failing in every department". Are we "failing" in junior development, for example? I rather think not.

Edited by Adeybull, 19 August 2010 - 03:48 PM.

#35 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Adeybull @ Aug 19 2010, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last time round, Bulls scored 7 out of 10. You needed 5-7 for a B Licence. See below. Might make interesting reading for the pathetic fekkwits who seem to think its all about the newness of and facilities at your ground (clue: its one of TEN criteria)

Capacity of 12,000 YES 1
Premier competition standard ground NO 0
Average crowd of 10,000 YES 1
Operating at 40 per cent full YES 1
Turn over 4million YES 1
Solvent YES 1
Contribution to competition YES 1
Junior development YES 1
No salary cap breaches NO 0
No club within 20 miles NO 0

GRAND TOTAL 7
LICENSING GRADE B

If the same criteria apply this time round, then you would expect worst case 1,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,0 = 5 = B Grade still. Even now. It could be better depending on crowds and what years are used, and how "contribution to competition is actually judged i.e anything wider than just finishing in the play-off.

Of course, if the criteria change then so could the gradings. But maybe once and for all Gobshte will shut up about the ground being the be-all and end all???

Incidentally, for the avoidance of doubt, Bulls junior development is beyond question now and the club is one of the few that is solvent (although I gather they are softening the rules on solvency this time round...)

We'd only have to close the Rooley Avenue terrace and thereby reduce ground capacity to earn another point...

Well put Adey and as for some of the pathetic fekkwits on here continually critising our club we are best just ignoring them because we are safe from the chop till at least 2018, maybe even 2021.

The RFL would do best to dump both Castelford and Wakefield out as there grounds are shambolic when compared to Odsal and promote Widnes and Halifax.

#36 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

The point you make about contribution to the competition is actually judged over a five year time span.

So in 2012 we will have:

2007: Play-Offs and Challenge Cup Semi-Final
2008: Play-Offs and Challenge Cup Quarter-Final
2009: 9th place finish and Challenge Cup 4th Round
2010: ?? place finish and Challenge Cup Quarter-Final
2011:

That to the RFL will get us a point for contribution to the competition.

#37 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

I'm sorry Lobby but Leigh playing Blackpool away in the Northern Rail Cup isn't going to get you in Super League.

#38 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Adeybull @ Aug 19 2010, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe we can get a new stadium pretty well given to us by Tesco to solve the problem at modest cost? Maybe you can give us some tips there?

We DID try that, of course, but local politics killed it off. Others, who were in a much worse state than us, were rather more fortunate, were they not? There but for the grace of God...

Incidentally, Bulls are most definitely NOT "failing in every department". Are we "failing" in junior development, for example? I rather think not.

I've been nice today and I'm a wire wink.gif

#39 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 19 2010, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been nice today and I'm a wire wink.gif

Most Wires are - good lot in the main. We all have a few Fekkwits though!

#40 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (Adeybull @ Aug 19 2010, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most Wires are - good lot in the main. We all have a few Fekkwits though!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Talking of Fekkwits, wheres gobby lobby gone, looking for his licence dry.gif