Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Kiwis should be favorites for the Four Nations

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 scotthouston2008

scotthouston2008
  • Coach
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

what a fool! shenton is not as good! look at the tries on youtube that someone posted earlier! shenton couldnt do that in sl nevermind nrl!!!! he did nothing in the four nations apart from get p****d all over by folau, inglis, morris twins etc!

#22 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (scotthouston2008 @ Sep 3 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what a fool! shenton is not as good! look at the tries on youtube that someone posted earlier! shenton couldnt do that in sl nevermind nrl!!!! he did nothing in the four nations apart from get p****d all over by folau, inglis, morris twins etc!

You were going great until you mentioned Folau. He didn't feature in the 4 nations.

So on second thoughts not so great.

Shenton's departure from the final due to injury allowed the flood gates to open down the side he'd defended up to that point.

#23 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (scotthouston2008 @ Sep 3 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excuse me, but if you want to masturbate in public about Australian RL, then please go to the correct forum.

Happy to help.

Thanks.

#24 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 2 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Several games are being played in New Zealand.

Australia are only playing the game against NZ outside Australia. As the Aussie players are used to travelling to Auckland to take on the Warriors, I doubt it will be a massive disadvantage.

#25 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Sep 3 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excuse me, but if you want to masturbate in public about Australian RL, then please go to the correct forum.

Happy to help.

Thanks.

Masturbating in public? I'm not sure there is a correct forum for that. Not on this site anyway... wink.gif

#26 jim_57

jim_57
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (scotthouston2008 @ Sep 3 2010, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laugh.gif what a load of (insert appropriate word here)! You must be Kenny-Dowell's uncle or something, he's good but nowhere near being an elite centre, IMO Shenton is better... to say he was "p****d all over by folau, inglis, morris twins etc!" is laughable considering one of those didn't play a 4 Nations game and two were on the other side of the field. Shenton was superb in defence last year and it was no coincidence that when he went off in the final the floodgates opened. Infact I remember all the 26 points Australia scored against England in the first game, first half were down the side Lee Smith was defending.

You're too far in Australia's pocket mate, you're delusional.

#27 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

I'm not a dreamer I don't think we can win the G4N but I think the Aussies & the NRL lovers really underrate our Backs. It may take England 5-10 years to get up to the fitness & stamina levels of the Kangaroos & Kiwis but I think we're up their skill-wise. I think it could be a Aussie Vs NZ final if they are as good as the Kiwis will be as strong as they may be but I think the games between the full strength NZ squad playing a full strength England squad may be fairly close. I might be possible that the weaken Aussies may only beat us by 10 - 15 points (maybe?).

I just hate how people who drool over the NRL really underrate England even after how well we played in the G4N 2010 & even though the French 'Test' was a non-contest we still showed our class. People on here talked about how Briscoe wasn't a strong enough FB last year it seems we'll have 2 fantastic FBs this year.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#28 bendyas

bendyas
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

I'm a massive massive fan of the NRL. However, i'm a fan of their structure and their media presence, too.

If we played the same amount of games and had the the same 'ethos' we'd be laughing. Until we do we'll continue to gallantly lose. This does not make the Aussie/Kiwi/Polynesian players better it just makes them the players in the better place at the right time. Good on 'em.

#29 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

The Polynesians/South Pacific Islanders are better than he English players?... Not likely. What percentage of the PNG team (the Kumuls?) play in the NRL? I'd imagine they're an excellent squad but don't seem them being that much better than the French.

As I say I don't think we (England RL) are that far off the Aussies & New Zealanders skills-wise. As I say I just think they're fitter (faster) and have more stamina to play at a higher intensity. However, unfortunately I do think their climate is a factor. Is there anyway our players can get vit D supplimentation? laugh.gif
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#30 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

can you all stop putting the kiwis up there with australia!!!!

they beat australia as often as we do...and england & kiwi games are generally 50/50 games

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#31 TheObserver

TheObserver
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (bendyas @ Sep 4 2010, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a massive massive fan of the NRL. However, i'm a fan of their structure and their media presence, too.

If we played the same amount of games and had the the same 'ethos' we'd be laughing. Until we do we'll continue to gallantly lose. This does not make the Aussie/Kiwi/Polynesian players better it just makes them the players in the better place at the right time. Good on 'em.

I agree with this sentiment. If England's test stars were limited to playing about 18 regular round SL & CC games for their club, plus finals (rather than the 29 SL & CC games they play), given time to recondition before the test season, give time to train together as a group and some decent warm-up games, you could beat us and the Kiwis with the talent you already have at your disposal. Unfortunately, as it is, England will fall at the final hurdle.

#32 East Coast Tiger

East Coast Tiger
  • Coach
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:46 AM

Looks likes Matai will be out for at least some of the tournament after his effort yesterday.

#33 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,041 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

Kiwis preliminary squad named. Obviously early days, and will be pruned down over the next few weeks, but there's a fair few new names included:
  • Alex Glenn, Antonio Winterstein (Brisbane)
  • Bryson Goodwin, Ben Roberts (Canterbury)
  • Bronson Harrison (Canberra)
  • Greg Eastwood (Leeds)
  • Kieran Foran, Steve Matai, Tony Williams (Manly)
  • Adam Blair, Sika Manu (Melbourne)
  • Junior Sa'u, Zeb Taia (Newcastle)
  • Krisnan Inu, Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta)
  • Sam McKendry, Frank Pritchard (Penrith)
  • Nathan Fien, Jason Nightingale, Jeremy Smith (St George Illawarra)
  • Roy Asotasi, Issac Luke, Eddy Pettybourne, Fetuli Talanoa (South Sydney)
  • Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Joseph Leilua, Mose Masoe, Frank-Paul Nuuausala, Sam Perrett, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Sydney Roosters)
  • Lewis Brown, Aaron Heremaia, Lance Hohaia, Kevin Locke, Simon Mannering, Ben Matulino, Russell Packer, Sam Rapira, Jerome Ropati, Ukuma Ta'ai, Manu Vatuvei (New Zealand Warriors)
  • Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
  • Thomas Leuluai (Wigan)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#34 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (jim_57 @ Sep 3 2010, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif what a load of (insert appropriate word here)! You must be Kenny-Dowell's uncle or something, he's good but nowhere near being an elite centre, IMO Shenton is better... to say he was "p****d all over by folau, inglis, morris twins etc!" is laughable considering one of those didn't play a 4 Nations game and two were on the other side of the field. Shenton was superb in defence last year and it was no coincidence that when he went off in the final the floodgates opened. Infact I remember all the 26 points Australia scored against England in the first game, first half were down the side Lee Smith was defending.

You're too far in Australia's pocket mate, you're delusional.

Firstly if I may: Hannibal ; shut up! You are embarrassing.

Jim, SKD would certainly be in the England squad where he elegible and thats a fact?

You are absolutely correct on Shentons defensive efforts in the 2010 4N, he was superb and yes it was only after he left the field that OZ began to make any inroads in the final.
Not many have given Inglis a start, chased him down and made the tackle, once he was in the clear! Let's not forget Shenton did that and did it well.

I absolutely concur with your comment on Lee Smith: never at centre!!
I would not even allow him to carry the boots for the other's as his positional sense is pathetic. Strong on the wing and a pretty impressive finisher too but International class, well diplomatically, I reserve that judgement.

On your last comment; there's nothing at all delusional about praising both the Aussies and the Kiwi's players, they are in general, individually and most certainly collectively, with a few notable exceptions, superior to ours, its possible that even Hannibal would find it difficult to argue that point?

I don't hold with the supermen accolade, but I can recognise better when I see it.
Their entire game is much better structured and more entertaining, the defence over there is so consistently solid and easy matches are almost nil,N/Queensland apart possibly.

Whereas we have at least 7 of the 14 S/L sides that cannot be relied upon to turn up consistently.

#35 scotthouston2008

scotthouston2008
  • Coach
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

http://www.smh.com.a...0904-14v1l.html

SKD in nrl team of the year ahead of inglis, jennings, lyon.............

terrible player.

#36 bendyas

bendyas
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

So Dugan is a better player than Slater?

#37 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (scotthouston2008 @ Sep 6 2010, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.smh.com.a...0904-14v1l.html

SKD in nrl team of the year ahead of inglis, jennings, lyon.............

terrible player.

good to see the two Poms in there

There's no dignity in plastic seats

#38 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:25 PM

In answer to Bendyas, yes.

Dugan has and is quite outstanding and going off one statistic alone : tackle-breaks, he has completely overshadowed every other this season player in the NRL, not just Billy Slater!

I don't know if you have been watching MSK and the NRL but Dugan really is something special and is second to no other player in Oz, in practically every aspect expected, not simply of a F/B but for that matter any R/L player regardless of position.

#39 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:39 PM

only been able to see NRL highlights but Dugan seems to be a stand out player for the Raiders every week, looks like a hell of a player.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#40 bendyas

bendyas
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Sep 6 2010, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In answer to Bendyas, yes.

Dugan has and is quite outstanding and going off one statistic alone : tackle-breaks, he has completely overshadowed every other this season player in the NRL, not just Billy Slater!

I don't know if you have been watching MSK and the NRL but Dugan really is something special and is second to no other player in Oz, in practically every aspect expected, not simply of a F/B but for that matter any R/L player regardless of position.

He's very good but you're getting carried away aren't you.

I'd be surprised if he makes the Aus squad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users