Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Grand Final: Wigan Warriors v St. Helens

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

Poll: Grand Final: Wigan Warriors v St. Helens (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan (27 votes [58.70%])

Percentage of vote: 58.70%

2. St Helens (19 votes [41.30%])

Percentage of vote: 41.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

Was meant to be in Italy for my sisters wedding, but the M4 fiasco yesterday = missed flights.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Off to the final.

1 question, just bought a ticket online, doesnt seem to mention how I will get it? Is there a ticket office open at OT?

#62 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (BBR @ Oct 2 2010, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was meant to be in Italy for my sisters wedding, but the M4 fiasco yesterday = missed flights.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Off to the final.

1 question, just bought a ticket online, doesnt seem to mention how I will get it? Is there a ticket office open at OT?

There is usually an RFL office outside of the ground.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#63 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

Where's the best place to watch the game in Wigan ? Someone has recommended Sam's Bar but last time I was in there it was a bit of a dive (was a couple of years ago so it may have improved).

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#64 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

Wigan by 6 for me.

#65 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

Well Grand Final Day is here.

I'm off out early to get a pub to show it for me, hope all the Wigan and Saints posters here enjoy their day, as well as all the neutrals from here, gutted I'm not going now, hope it's a classic.

Also, hope it is a perfect minutes silence for Terry Newton.

#66 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

hopefully my web stream will hold up. as for a winner, i don't really care, although a crushing anti-climax for cunningham would be mildly amusing but then so would a wigan choke.

pies by 10.
foxes or poor people?

#67 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Oct 1 2010, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please concentrate those derogatry comments here biggrin.gif
Tha' thread has nowt to do wi' t'rugby anymore.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#68 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

Having left Exile far behind, am buzzing with excitement. Will be sititing by my 86 year old auntie who is the ideal companion for a tense game, drawing on 80 years of Wigan watching. If only Sullivan, Boston and Hanley were playing this evening...
I am holding nerves at bay, and have tried to stick to my normal game day routine, doing some light singing to warm the voice up - trying out a There's only 1 Wigan Rugby/Sam will tear you apart medley. I think this has all the ingredients of a classic, as the teams are well matched.
A few random reflections...
Big game experience - should be pretty even, with Wigan maybe edging it - we have NRL, World Cup and Grand Final winners, and they have a fair few players for whom the experience is new, or who can vividly 3 GF defeats. Our Coach knows what is required and our young players are used to beating Saints year after year in the Reserves final, so can draw on that.
Tactics - I am no expert, but Wigan have a better the better back 5, and Saints the better front row, so I expect more flair from us, as against close range barging from Saints. Wigan have to keep the penalty count down and spend as little time on our line as possible. I read somewhere that KC* is playing his last gane, though I might have wrong, Let him play the game trying to bring the ball out of defence. One thing which strikes me about Wigan's last 2 games is that they seem to have been pacing themselves much better. Rather than trying to blitz the opposition and trying (and failing) to defend a good but not massive lead, we have played well at the end of each half, even scoring the last try in both games, which is far more of a rarity than you would expect for the season's most successful team (where is Clarkey when you need for a random fact?).
Atmosphere - in the flesh and in the virtual world, I see no reason why the minute's silence and game can't be enjoyed in an atmosphere of mutual respect. Now the teams are evenly matched for once, there isn't the need for bitterness/taunting that characterised the eras in which first Wigan and then Saints were massively dominant. That may be wishful thinking and we may get Choker threads aimed against us if we lose (I was particularly amused by the folk who accused Pat of choking - this a man who has scored the winning try in the NRL Grand Final...).
International implications - I hope all the English players come through unscathed. You could make excellent cases for Wellens, Foster, Graham, Roby, Wilkin, Sam, Joel, Goulding, Gleeson, Fielden and Lockers being in the 4N squad. Having read Open Rugby's article on that Comp we will have an enormous task to trouble NZ or Oz so we need all our talent fit and well.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 02 October 2010 - 10:37 AM.

#69 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Oct 2 2010, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read somewhere that KC* is playing his last gane, though I might have wrong,

i shouldn't...but

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
foxes or poor people?

#70 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 963 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

Mrs D and I will be watching in a bar in downtown Kassiopi with a few bottles of Mythos and maybe the odd cocktail.

Not really bothered who wins. Maybe Wigan because they've been the best side over the season and haven't won it in living memory. Then again I'd quite like our new coach to join us with a Grand Final win behind him.

Either way, let's hope it's a cracking game. I see no reason why it wouldn't be.
And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#71 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

From a RA&B perspective it's a tricky one...

Fielden, Deacon, Pryce

v

Potter, Hargreaves, Pryce

I'm not that fussed who wins, and this GF is 'so last season', but I reckon it would be good for the Warriors to come up trumps. Having said that it would be good if Potter proves himself to be a better coach than Anderson after the all the negativity he's had from the home support. On the other hand do we really fancy Saints to do a number on the NRL winners? But then again Noble put that team together and Deacon looks to be the final piece... I can't decide.

Oh, hold on a mo. We was robbed twice by Saints, and they've let the whole RL world down for the last three GF's! Wigan it is then... Pies and Mintballs all round.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#72 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (saintsbird @ Oct 2 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woohoo...not only is it GF day its also DERBY DAY biggrin.gif

Bloody Hell, you've got me nervous now. When does the Hull v Hull KR game start?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#73 daz

daz
  • Coach
  • 550 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

Saints to win by golden point - oh hang on SL has its own rules and thinks it a poor way to decide the winner.

ok ill go for Cunningham to plough over for the winner, the script is written. they must of learnt summut by now loosing for the last 3 years, oni thing is Rhinos are not there this year so they have a chance.

Saints 26 - 16 Pies

#74 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

Hmm, the last time Wigan made a Grand Final an exceptional hooker in the opposition was making his farewell appearance. It didn't quite go to plan then...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#75 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

great defence.
foxes or poor people?

#76 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

hmm..this could be a lot.
foxes or poor people?

#77 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

10-0 pies
foxes or poor people?

#78 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

It seems odd to have;

a stand-off on the wing,
a winger in the centre,
a centre in the second row, and
a second row at stand-off.

I know Meli has done well at left centre and Soliola is getting back into the game, but something needs to change. It looks like St Helens are sometimes playing to a more conventional pattern, however this is not enough.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come from Potter...

In Potter we trust. biggrin.gif

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#79 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

It seems the Man of Steel's gone rusty. Hopefully it's Deacon's time to shine and slot over the winning touchline conversion! biggrin.gif

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#80 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

Never mind Potter, St Helens need Gandalf, Merlin, Roy Wood and the fella from Oz to sort them out.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users