Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4789 replies to this topic

#1581 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

It's been said before that the proposal was 2 up, 7 (or 6?) down from SL2 to Whatever-Div3-or-is-it-4?-is-called.

But it's only a proposal.   It can change.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#1582 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Being a York fan, I'm glad there is route straight back into 'SL2' or whatever it will be called. But if I was a fan of the many teams that now seem likely to get relegated from the championship next year, I think I would feel very hard done to.

It's time to park the camels.

#1583 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Being a York fan, I'm glad there is route straight back into 'SL2' or whatever it will be called. But if I was a fan of the many teams that now seem likely to get relegated from the championship next year, I think I would feel very hard done to.

Why? It is better to get relegated in a vibrant complete pyramid structure, than be stuck in NL 1 with no promotion. You could in theory be in SL with 2 successive promotions

#1584 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

Why? It is better to get relegated in a vibrant complete pyramid structure, than be stuck in NL 1 with no promotion. You could in theory be in SL with 2 successive promotions

Well it's like when they expanded the championship to 14 teams. They relegated 0 and promoted 4, not relegated 2 and promoted 6, which is what this sounds like. It would be like relegating 4 from SL and promoting 2 from the championship instead of just relegating 2 and promoting 0.

#1585 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

On a related note...

York City Knights are eagerly planning for life in Kingstone Press Championship One next season with assurances from the RFL that there will be a route in to Super League 2 for next years Championship One Champions.

Posted Image

#1586 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

Well it's like when they expanded the championship to 14 teams. They relegated 0 and promoted 4, not relegated 2 and promoted 6, which is what this sounds like. It would be like relegating 4 from SL and promoting 2 from the championship instead of just relegating 2 and promoting 0.

How short-sighted does that 4 and 0 look now ?   If only they'd stuck with 2 up, 2 down ......

#1587 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Do the RFL know yet if Toulouse are going to be in SL2? If they are in then the 12th, 13th and 14th teams next year would be relegated and the 9th, 10th and 11th plus the Championship 1 winners would be in the play-off to make way for them.

This just gets sillier!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#1588 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Do the RFL know yet if Toulouse are going to be in SL2? If they are in then the 12th, 13th and 14th teams next year would be relegated and the 9th, 10th and 11th plus the Championship 1 winners would be in the play-off to make way for them.

#1589 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

Don't know how you work that one Keith.  If Toulouse are in, you need to reduce the top 29 clubs to 24.  You need to relegate 5 more than you promote.

#1590 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Don't know how you work that one Keith.  If Toulouse are in, you need to reduce the top 29 clubs to 24.  You need to relegate 5 more than you promote.

If Toulouse get in and we (York) win the playoff, that would be 6 relegated!

#1591 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

If Toulouse get in and we (York) win the playoff, that would be 6 relegated!

Yes, I know.  If it's one up it must be six down.  That's what I said.

The thing is - one up isn't decided yet.

#1592 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm struggling to believe they will relegate 6 clubs next season

#1593 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

I never thought they would promote anyone at all next season, so has come as a surprise to me.

#1594 lionwolf

lionwolf
  • Facebook
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

Would 2016 be better given that Sky had signed a four year deal with 14 teams the licences are for three years so the TV deals should have been for three years like the licences and on the championship the Premier deal ends at the end of next season 

#1595 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

They won't.  It'll be billed as promoting 8.  Or 7.  Or 9.  Or whatever.

Struggle to believe it or not, you have to reduce the clubs by at least 4 - that's not counting Toulouse.

#1596 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Championship 1 is gonna be big in 2015 init. (that is of course I haven't missed anything about that league on here)

Edited by YCKonstantine, 02 September 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#1597 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

They won't.  It'll be billed as promoting 8.  Or 7.  Or 9.  Or whatever.

Struggle to believe it or not, you have to reduce the clubs by at least 4 - that's not counting Toulouse.

Thanks i never thought of it like that

#1598 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

Championship 1 is gonna be big in 2015 init. (that is of course I haven't missed anything about that league on here)

North and South sections is the proposal.

#1599 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Thanks i never thought of it like that

You're welcome.  It's not unknown, of course.  $uperleague was formed in that way. 

#1600 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

Is this system the answer?

Thinking about it i came to this conclusion. ..

The worst 2 SL clubs would drop down a division and be in the second 12, they would remain pro but make cut backs...
They would be certs for the middle 8...

Looking at Sheffield and crusaders momentum they would also be strong contenders for the middle 8?

That would mean the middle 8 would consist of 6 current SL club's and two current championship clubs,

Lets presume sheff and crusaders make up the 8 would this create a glass ceiling as the extra revenue would in essence create a financial second tier? (Presuming two clubs would gamble and turn fully pro)

Where would that leave fev, fax,leigh, etc stuck in the third tier of the game? Even further from super league?

(For arguments sake you could change sheff/cru for any current championship club)

As a side note if leeds and Hunslet both qualified for the middle 8 would Hunslet be allowed to field half the leeds team to take points off leeds rivals?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users