Jason Taumalolo chooses Tonga over NZ

It probably says a lot about Kidwell's leadership more than anything else.

Will do Tonga a lot of good, NZ not so much... their forward pack is tragically average.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

44 minutes ago, B rad said:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-world-cup-why-jason-taumalolo-chose-tonga-over-new-zealand/ar-AAsSkoh?ocid=spartanntp

Taumalolo gives his reasons. Basically for the good of the game. Well done sir, much respect. 

For the good of the game? You must be joking! He'll be back with New Zealand for their UK tour next season, collecting his 20grand per game, how the hell is any of this BS for the good of the game?

The constant switching is not only damaging to RL but also hugely disrespectful.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

For the good of the game? You must be joking! He'll be back with New Zealand for their UK tour next season, collecting his 20grand per game, how the hell is any of this BS for the good of the game?

The constant switching is not only damaging to RL but also hugely disrespectful.

Stronger international squads is good for the international game. He is taking a huge pay cut to play for a nation outside the big 3.Its a little step that will help create a stronger competition. The Reason the NRL is so strict with its salary cap and part of the reason it is so interesting is because the competition is strong with fairly equal teams. 

When you got guys like Craig Wing (Australian born with Filipino Parents) playing for Japan in the last Rugby Union world cup and no one blinks an eye I'm not to concerned that a guy who has played for Tonga in the past plays for them again. Our eligibility rules are similar to most international sports. I don't see why Rugby League should shoot its self in the foot while others strive and are well recognised as strong international sports. 

Yep, great for the tournament good for the game internationally in my opinion. 

39 minutes ago, B rad said:

Stronger international squads is good for the international game. He is taking a huge pay cut to play for a nation outside the big 3.Its a little step that will help create a stronger competition. The Reason the NRL is so strict with its salary cap and part of the reason it is so interesting is because the competition is strong with fairly equal teams. 

When you got guys like Craig Wing (Australian born with Filipino Parents) playing for Japan in the last Rugby Union world cup and no one blinks an eye I'm not to concerned that a guy who has played for Tonga in the past plays for them again. Our eligibility rules are similar to most international sports. I don't see why Rugby League should shoot its self in the foot while others strive and are well recognised as strong international sports. 

Yep, great for the tournament good for the game internationally in my opinion. 

No, they are not the same. No other sport allows players to switch between countries from one week to the next.

Craig Wing only ever played for Japan in union.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I'm surprised that he forgot about Tonga in May this year instead playing for NZ. Probably means that the international game was in a better state then. That's a worrying on the eve of the WC.

Good on him though, his life, his choice (within the current rules). That's fine. But this switch (for once in the right direction Major => Minor) will mean a lot more if he actually sticks to it for the rest of his career.

However, I have no doubt that he will be back in a Kiwi jersey as soon as Kidwell is sacked, although I'll happily eat my hat if proven wrong.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

7 hours ago, nadera78 said:

This

Tonga could end up like this:

1. Will Hopoate
  2. Daniel Tupou
  3. Konrad Hurrell
  4. Solomone Kata / Michael Jennings
  5. David Fusitu'a / Manu Vatuvei / Sosaia Feki
  6. Tuimoala Lolohea
  7. Ata Hingano
  8. Addin Fonua-Blake
  9. Siliva Havili / Sione Katoa
  10. Leilani Latu
  11. Manu Ma'u
  12. Sio Siua Taukeiaho
  13. Jason Taumalolo
  14. Sione Katoa / Siliva Havili
  15. Joe Ofahengaue / Peni Terepo
  16. Siosaia Vave / Sika Manu
  17. Leivaha Pulu / Tevita Pangai Jnr

I just stole that from another site. Fusitu'a was in good form at the back of the season so he's in a fight with Vatuvei, Tupou and Feki for the one spot. If he goes into the centres, who do you drop, especially if Jennings turns up. Kata and Jennings were both good this year.

Archived