The Rapley Report...

Derwent

So, the Rapley Report into RL in West Cumbria has now been published.

You can read it here   http://media.therfl.co.uk/docs/THE_FUTURE_OF_RUGBY_LEAGUE_IN_WEST_CUMBRIA.PDF

Frankly, its a complete and utter waste of money - it does nothing but state the bleeding obvious, tells us nothing we didn't already know and, worst of all, makes absolutely no recommendations at all as to what should happen. It simply states there are 3 options, all of which we have all recognised and discussed previously, but does not suggest which one the RFL should try to make happen.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I've read it right through and I think it's a rather good in depth report, n yes it doesn't offer solutions but all the data collected gives the clubs the information and areas in which to strengthen and improve. It also states that there is a massive scope for crowd increases. So it just backs up every idea and suggestion that we put on the marketing thread! With the right person or persons leading that aspect of the club we can grow an increase crowds

It's simple really. 1. Stay as we are and accept what we are and the diehards will still come but it will be a continued struggle financially but enjoyable for the diehards.OR 2. Merge and move forward with the times. A new club alongside keeping haven and town wouldn't work due to cost. It's all down to opinion.

Whilst not having time to read it all in depth yet, it does seem a bit bland and lightweight, it does not give any real insight into some of the data provided, and at times (as Derwent has said) states the obvious. I got to page 20 (out of 71) and thought when is something going to be stated that has depth and food for thought?

We have some real RL knowledge and experience on this board alone without even considering the wider RL community - I wonder how many were consulted, and interviewed in-depth rather than fillng in a bland one-size-fits-all questionniare, which is all I can remember

Time has moved on since 2014 - the Academy is different for example. What are the attitudes of young players, their families and pro-semi-pro clubs to this arrangement for example. Its a subject on its own, never mind a couple of paragraphs in an out of date report

I've read it in depth. It states the obvious,

It also states about a demand for rugby what it doesn't state is the level of rugby the demand is for.

As I originally assumed, it isn't worth the paper it's written on. A good A level student could've produced that and for the RFL to waste good money on it is shocking.

We all knew there were 3 options before it came out and nothing's changed on that score.

Well I have finally got through reading this report and it has left me totally non-plussed.   Much of the report is taken from RFL objectives, rules, etc and then most of the figures are taken from the 2011 census.   Many assumptions are made based on the percentages of local authority populations in SL club areas and then compared with the same in west Cumbria with a lot of IF's therein.

I was told several months ago that there had been quite a number of 1 to 1 interviews with many people in the area but when I look at the list in the appendices quite a number of those are RFL people not the fans of west Cumbria.    I was also told that the consultant had had two meetings with both club's full boards of directors and yet this came as a surprise to one or two of those people!!!

Looking at the questionnaire 198 were completed and if you look at the figures of those completed 160 (81%) came from Whitehaven and 19 (10%) came from Workington which might explain why people at Workington have been saying on here and elsewhere that they were never consulted.   Reading the responses from fans in the appendices you do not have to be a genius to note that most responses have a Haven slant to them which is to be expected on the numbers of questionnaires at the consultants disposal but probably not a true reflection of the whole west Cumbria area.    

The limited contact with fans seems to be only with current fans of the clubs with no thought given to seeking the views of people who have walked away from the game here over a number of years except those that bought a World Cup ticket.   If this was to be the in depth study that the RFL claim then interviewers would have been in each town centre seeking out these people and getting their views.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Well everyone who waded through every word of that needs a pat on the back . I couldn't manage it! Looks like the usual management speak waffle and using many words without saying much for a big fee ! I'm good at that ( no charge ) but I tip my hat to those guys ... Who are all these interviewees , where were we at ?

Apparently a paper questionnaire was handed out at one Haven game and one Town game in May2014.   Now I attend every Town game at home and I can honestly say that I never got a questionnaire nor did I see anyone else with one.    How many on here got one?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

We were probably at the ZC Watching a game at the time.

Didn't see a single representative at any Town match standing talking to fans asking opinion so it begs the question did they really want to consult the people who matter?

I wonder if there's anyway of finding out how much it cost to produce this pile of rubbish?

They could have given us our half of whatever if was as their best contribution to Workington RL and we could have used it to buy Sammut and maybe more star players to push the club on ... Winning games , more fans , more prize money etc etc .!! Better than this use of the Amazon rain forest will produce !

I agree but the stats don't really back it up. The catchment percentages for the highest and lowest clubs could make both a merger and each individual club in SL either viable or unviable. 5% of the population of allerdale and/or Copland could make it sustainable or unsustainable. Therefore based on 5% we could have 2 viable west cumbrian teams or based on 1.6% of the population a joint SL team would be unviable.

What I'm trying to say is the stats can be twisted to make whatever outcome anyone could want at any given point in time so it's inclusion is pointless - other than to add to the cost of the report and try to make it look more professional.

They've even disregarded the London star altogether.

Interesting to read that if a 'joint' west cumbria side were to play super league. Based on percentage watching super league at the moment against the towns population. They expect a crowd of 5,500 would watch. I very much doubt this. However, why not try a one off exhibition game? Players picked from both teams to play a wigan, leeds or saints to actually see how many turn up. Rather than take a 'best guess'.

Atleast this way we will all know that a merger is out of the question?

One of the most interesting pieces of information in the report was where the tickets were purchased from for the world cup. However even that was flawed. 4% came from Lancaster presumably that was anyone with an LA postcode which includes Millom and not close to Lancaster at all.

Interesting to read that if a 'joint' west cumbria side were to play super league. Based on percentage watching super league at the moment against the towns population. They expect a crowd of 5,500 would watch. I very much doubt this. However, why not try a one off exhibition game? Players picked from both teams to play a wigan, leeds or saints to actually see how many turn up. Rather than take a 'best guess'.

Atleast this way we will all know that a merger is out of the question?

i see your point of a sort of trial but I don't think the new team would just be a mixture of both clubs current players and that also wouldn't wet the appetite enough of potential new fans.

I can get that point. But surely something needs to be trailed to give us a definitive answer regarding a merger? Otherwise we will be another 5 years or so down the line wondering the same thing?

Im under no illusion that if it were the way foreward, the team would need to be a darn bit stronger than what we could murge between town and haven. Just an idea to see if the demand is actually there?

I know some lads at work who have stopped going to watch Haven because there's now too many out of county players. One has told me he would rather watch a merged team made up of Cumbrians than watch what Haven have become now.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

Archived