What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it?

I think I want one.

It's the baby of the Krell range - the S-300i. I got an ex-dem one, so £600 off the list price. 

It certainly sounded better than my old amp straight out of the box, but 24 hours solid play* later things started to get a bit magical and continued to improve. It has got great reviews from everyone except What Hi-Fi, so I assume they didn't let their review sample warm up properly. 

*music and TV in the evening, Test Match Special through the night. Don't underestimate how good TV sound can be through a proper amp and speakers instead of the built-in audio hardware.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's the baby of the Krell range - the S-300i. I got an ex-dem one, so £600 off the list price. 

It certainly sounded better than my old amp straight out of the box, but 24 hours solid play* later things started to get a bit magical and continued to improve. It has got great reviews from everyone except What Hi-Fi, so I assume they didn't let their review sample warm up properly. 

*music and TV in the evening, Test Match Special through the night. Don't underestimate how good TV sound can be through a proper amp and speakers instead of the built-in audio hardware.

What are you using for a phono stage? Given that it's a modern amp, I'm assuming that it doesn't have one. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

What are you using for a phono stage? Given that it's a modern amp, I'm assuming that it doesn't have one. 

Correct; it's line level only. I'm using the Musical Fidelity V-LPS Mk.II, which is actually pretty good. Definitely a step up from the Cambridge phono stage I had before. Room for improvement, though.

What I would have liked on the Krell is a headphone socket. I can get round that, as I have a combined DAC/headphone amp, but not everyone has something of the sort, and headphones are big business these days.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I see your brothers band are playing Rebellion this year.

Although I aren't sure why I quoted that in the reply! !

Are they? I think that might be the third year on the trot. From what I remember, they enjoy that one.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Correct; it's line level only. I'm using the Musical Fidelity V-LPS Mk.II, which is actually pretty good. Definitely a step up from the Cambridge phono stage I had before. Room for improvement, though.

What I would have liked on the Krell is a headphone socket. I can get round that, as I have a combined DAC/headphone amp, but not everyone has something of the sort, and headphones are big business these days.

Cheers, the reason I ask is because I'm thinking of getting one. My old NAIM amp has phono but from what I've read and been told, a separate phono stage can improve the sound considerably. 

The NAIM doesn't have a headphone socket either. Not sure whether that's a bad thing really. I'm sure the only outcome would be the early onset of deafness.

Cheers, the reason I ask is because I'm thinking of getting one. My old NAIM amp has phono but from what I've read and been told, a separate phono stage can improve the sound considerably. 

The NAIM doesn't have a headphone socket either. Not sure whether that's a bad thing really. I'm sure the only outcome would be the early onset of deafness.

Well, there's never been a better time to buy one. There's a plethora of good stuff at pretty much all price ranges. I notice the one I have is now discontinued, though, and replaced by a new model.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm looking to replace my power amp to match my Cyrus Pre but my arcam power amp has a headphone socket. I want to upgrade the power as I need to step it up as it now doesn't come up to same level as my new Avid turntable and B&W speakers but finding a power amp with a headphone socket is not easy these days, I don't know why.

I'm looking to replace my power amp to match my Cyrus Pre but my arcam power amp has a headphone socket. I want to upgrade the power as I need to step it up as it now doesn't come up to same level as my new Avid turntable and B&W speakers but finding a power amp with a headphone socket is not easy these days, I don't know why.

You'd normally find a headphone socket in a pre-amp, not a power amp. If your pre-amp has a tape loop out, line out or spare pre-amp output socket, you could attach a dedicated headphone amp to that. More of those on the market than ever before, too.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

You'd normally find a headphone socket in a pre-amp, not a power amp. If your pre-amp has a tape loop out, line out or spare pre-amp output socket, you could attach a dedicated headphone amp to that. More of those on the market than ever before, too.

The problem is I budget busted on my turntable so I may have to sit in my Arcam for a bit yet. If I did mange to sort out a new power amp a dedicated headphone amp would be out of the question.

Free Sandwiches down the Castle in Bradford. Inspired and humorous folkie renditions of rock and pop standards. 

Hard to believe that  sort of wit and exuberance could be developed in Lancashire.

;):biggrin:

Great set, boys.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The problem is I budget busted on my turntable so I may have to sit in my Arcam for a bit yet. If I did mange to sort out a new power amp a dedicated headphone amp would be out of the question.

Pete, did you know this was coming up at Fruit? (I'm assuming you'd be interested given your avatar.)

1488644_562313327184204_1357107214_n.jpg

Well, there's never been a better time to buy one. There's a plethora of good stuff at pretty much all price ranges. I notice the one I have is now discontinued, though, and replaced by a new model.

I've been doing a bit of online research and I'm even more undecided than ever. From reading a few forums the amp I've got (Naim Nait 2) seems to already have a much better than average phono stage (it's always sounded good to me). I'm a bit wary of spending a lot of money for a very marginal improvement. I suppose the only thing to do is ask the nice chaps at the local hi-fi store if I can road test one. 

I've been doing a bit of online research and I'm even more undecided than ever. From reading a few forums the amp I've got (Naim Nait 2) seems to already have a much better than average phono stage (it's always sounded good to me). I'm a bit wary of spending a lot of money for a very marginal improvement. I suppose the only thing to do is ask the nice chaps at the local hi-fi store if I can road test one.

There's not much better than Naim Dave I think you would have to spend a lot more to show any significant improvement in what you have. I would stick with what you have it's still a superb piece of kit. The only reason I'm looking to upgrade my power is as I said I have seriously upgraded my turntable. Hi fi upgrading is like an itch you have to scratch.

There's not much better than Naim Dave I think you would have to spend a lot more to show any significant improvement in what you have. I would stick with what you have it's still a superb piece of kit. The only reason I'm looking to upgrade my power is as I said I have seriously upgraded my turntable. Hi fi upgrading is like an itch you have to scratch.

I think I probably will stick with the current set up until it packs up. I've had the Naim twenty three years now and it's still going strong. As you say, a superb piece of kit.

I think you'll be fine with the Naim, to be honest. Save the money to upgrade something else.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cheers for that.

Mind went blank. It was 1.40am when I posted and I'd had the odd libation.

The band is Free Sandwiches, and I've amended the original post.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police