Gareth Widdop to play for NSW Residents...hmmm

England full-back Gareth Widdop will represent New South Wales Residents in the curtain-raiser to Wednesday's final State of Origin clash.

The Halifax-born Melbourne full-back, who made his national team bow in last month's win over France, is to play at stand-off for Jason Taylor's men.

Melbourne view the 21-year-old as a stand-off rather than a full-back, and are looking to promote him to the number six shirt next season in place of Brett Finch, who is considering an offer from Hull KR.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/ne...BYL_Widdop.html

Two things.

1) Are the Aussies pulling a fast one here and trying to pinch Widdop off England?

2) Is he a full back or stand off? England are crying out for a full back more and I was hoping the Storm would make him full back and offload Slater.

i noticed his while watching one of the NRL games over the weekend.. he must be the first English player to play for an NSW residents side.. if he's not, he must be the first for 50 odd years!..

have also heard him being mentioned in commentary as someone who can also play centre or stand-off..

you'd have thought he would have played more games for the storm if he wanted to be a centre or stand-off though.. wherever he plays cant help but think he's gonna be great for England.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

i noticed his while watching one of the NRL games over the weekend.. he must be the first English player to play for an NSW residents side.. if he's not, he must be the first for 50 odd years!..

have also heard him being mentioned in commentary as someone who can also play centre or stand-off..

you'd have thought he would have played more games for the storm if he wanted to be a centre or stand-off though.. wherever he plays cant help but think he's gonna be great for England.

Why bother picking him?

But surely he cant he play full Origin for NSW if he has already played a full Test for England?

Full back or stand off?

There is a chap I know of named Lockyer who does both those positions pretty well. Another one is named Todd Carney, who plays full back, stand off and scrum half, and was being mentioned as possible stand off for the NSW Blues.

Can't see a problem for Widdop playing stand off for Melbourne -- where the coach will turn him into a classy player -- and also full back for England at end of season.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Wendall, NSW Residents is the best of the NSW Cup. It has no bearing on elgibility for Australia.

Wherever he plays, he's behind better players at Melbourne Storm. I saw him play for their reserves against Newtown in the NSW Cup. He's got the goods. He should consider playing at a club where he could get some more first team time.

Why bother picking him?

But surely he cant he play full Origin for NSW if he has already played a full Test for England?

Why not?

Didn't Adrian Lam play origin then turn out for PNG?

I don't think it matters which order you put these things in, if the Australians think you are good enough, they will probably pick you for SOO. If you come from Mars, and play intergalactic football for Pluto, they don't care.

If they think that your presence will increase the standard/hype of SOO, you're in.

Didn't they once try to get Morley to play SOO?

Lam moved to Qld when he was 7.

Australia have plenty of players that were born there but play for "heritage" teams to help pad out the player skills in World Cups and the like, same as plenty have represented NZ and then played for Island nations.

According to Morley he was never approached it was a media beat up.

Widdop is not even a regular first grader why would Australia want him? he will do a lot better with England.

Lam moved to Qld when he was 7.

Australia have plenty of players that were born there but play for "heritage" teams to help pad out the player skills in World Cups and the like, same as plenty have represented NZ and then played for Island nations.

According to Morley he was never approached it was a media beat up.

Widdop is not even a regular first grader why would Australia want him? he will do a lot better with England.

Because the truth and common sense doesn't suit the anti-Australian wailing of a few repeat offenders on here.

Why not?

Didn't Adrian Lam play origin then turn out for PNG?

I don't think it matters which order you put these things in, if the Australians think you are good enough, they will probably pick you for SOO. If you come from Mars, and play intergalactic football for Pluto, they don't care.

If they think that your presence will increase the standard/hype of SOO, you're in.

Didn't they once try to get Morley to play SOO?

In that case then it would be great to see Ellis and Burgess in the NSW pack wouldnt it?

In that case then it would be great to see Ellis and Burgess in the NSW pack wouldnt it?

if they dont win tody then you do just wonder..

Because the truth and common sense doesn't suit the anti-Australian wailing of a few repeat offenders on here.

So, Lam moves to QLD at the age of 7, represents QLD at SOO, and plays for PNG.

Widdop moves to Aus at the age of 15, represents NSW, and plays for England.

Apart from the obvious, what is the difference here?

Far from having an aversion to the truth, I think all of the above is true.

Try to consider my question with both of your eyes open.

Ta.

Deleted. As I thought you were saying he was in the NSW squad... Which he wasn't today. Oops!

Edited by HappyDave

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Exactly. There is someone from Lancashire with a functioning brain after all.

Oh sorry. I lose track of all the stupid representative ###### you lot play.

However, does that make my previous argument any less valid? If he goes on to play SOO, what has that got to do with his England status?

How can you be so certain about that?

a. because he's already played for England and no Test player from England or NZ has ever played for NSW, not even much better ones than Widdop.

b. because he didn't even play his first game in NSW, it was in Victoria.

c. he's not good enough and is never likely to be.

This nonsense about players from overseas playing Origin or for Australia is just that, nonsense. Every player who has represented another country and then played for Australia, NSW or Qld (or vice versa) played their first game of RL in Australia.

This nonsense about players from overseas playing Origin or for Australia is just that, nonsense. Every player who has represented another country and then played for Australia, NSW or Qld (or vice versa) played their first game of RL in Australia.

As did Widdop.

He's not good enough, he's not a superman, blah, blah, blah.

I, for one, hope that he goes on to shut you up good.

No he didn't. He's a Halifax junior. Get a clue.

And?

Are you claiming that EVERY player who has ever played SOO has never played junior RL in any other country?

You are going to have a hell of a time proving that one.

Did Adrian Lam never play junior league in PNG?

Good luck mate, I await your corroboration with huge expectation.

:lol:

And?

Are you claiming that EVERY player who has ever played SOO has never played junior RL in any other country?

You are going to have a hell of a time proving that one.

Did Adrian Lam never play junior league in PNG?

Good luck mate, I await your corroboration with huge expectation.

:lol:

There was no junior league in PNG until recently because it was banned decades ago due to kids dying. And he only came to Australia when he was seven so he hardly got a chance anyway. If you can prove any of them have I'd like to see it. But you didn't even know Widdop was a Halifax junior and you didn't even know the NSW Residents team has nothing to do with where you are from, so I'm not expecting much in the way of accurate facts.