progress

oldrover

There you go again, all youv done lately is talk about cas, going to watch them etc, now your on about there past players, your lads reyt were getting theee looked at

i'm going to ignore thee, tha's a wind up merchant. btw, while i was there, i couldn't get that duelling banjos music out of my head, don't know why.

i'm taking some little mints to the next home game. i don't want to patronize you with deep analasys of tic tacs but if you want to stand next to me while i eat them, i'll talk you through it.

Edited by oldrover

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm taking some little mints to the next home game. i don't want to patronize you with deep analasys of tic tacs but if you want to stand next to me while i eat them, i'll talk you through it.

HEE HEE HEE

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

Whilst I agree about the amount of overseas players and the quality of them playing in this country has had a diverse effect on standards. I still believe that the BOSMAN ruling is one that has killed not just smaller rugby league clubs, but sports management and transfers as a whole . It has destroyed the will of clubs to develop players to a standard which wpould have brought an income and possible financial success. Before BOSMAN, we didn't have so many imports in all sports.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

A huge issue that hasnt yet been mentioned regarding the non progress of Super League and our National team is the fact that there has been no competitive sport or coaching in our schools since about 81 to 82 when the government stopped paying the teachers for after school sport. Before then Rugby League training and competitive games between schools was compulsory which un earthed players in our area that now are missed unless your taken down to the local amateur club. We dont even have the schools in Featherstone playing each other like they do with football. The community team at fev do visit the schools now but still dont have them competing with each other. We need to sort our own catchment area out as all other teams should also be doing to increase the pool of players available and then maybe we wont need as many overseas players and our National team will improve especially if our players are coaching in schools at an earlier age. If our players turned up at Fev high and formed a team and a few more players went to other schools I think the kids would love it and could also be given tickets to attend Fev matches. I know Wakefield have been doing this recently and have had great success with one of their teams narrowly losing out in the semi final to reach the wembley curtain raiser against a Barrow team.

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

A huge issue that hasnt yet been mentioned regarding the non progress of Super League and our National team is the fact that there has been no competitive sport or coaching in our schools since about 81 to 82 when the government stopped paying the teachers for after school sport. Before then Rugby League training and competitive games between schools was compulsory which un earthed players in our area that now are missed unless your taken down to the local amateur club. We dont even have the schools in Featherstone playing each other like they do with football. The community team at fev do visit the schools now but still dont have them competing with each other. We need to sort our own catchment area out as all other teams should also be doing to increase the pool of players available and then maybe we wont need as many overseas players and our National team will improve especially if our players are coaching in schools at an earlier age. If our players turned up at Fev high and formed a team and a few more players went to other schools I think the kids would love it and could also be given tickets to attend Fev matches. I know Wakefield have been doing this recently and have had great success with one of their teams narrowly losing out in the semi final to reach the wembley curtain raiser against a Barrow team.

featherstone high do have rugby teams and play other teams in the area. freeston from normy, c*s high, airedale high. and i know they have played games against minsthorpe, kettlethorpe and teams from hull. i believe these are cup competitions though and not an organised league like we used to have. i found it hard to believe that Featherstone High often find it hard to raise a team and kids from the year below have to be drafted in. in my day they could have got 3 teams at any age group.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

I can't agree with drafting being introduced to be honest. The franchise model the top tier of our game has adopted is based on American sport and drafting would just be another step along this road. Why is the American model deemed to be good practice? Look at the "World Series" in Baseball, all competing teams are based in North America if I'm correct? Its just like our sport doing everything possible to have "European" in its title. Why does it matter?

Drafting is just another form of manipulation, like franchises. The masters of our sport are trying to manipulate the natural growth of it by targeting specific locations or criteria. It could be compared to a command economy like the Soviets or any other communist nation. Look how all that ended up.

I just don't get the current set up and logic at the RFL at all. We've got a chief exec earning

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

ban all the overseas imports for me Featherstone Rovers had its best sides ever from within a stones throw of post office road and it would happen again given time. Bring back the county cup games and make National leagues one league and promotion and relegation to be decided at the end of each season.

i've just thought of a perfectly good reason why they will never ban imports. last time they did it Featherstone Rovers won the league.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

Whilst I agree about the amount of overseas players and the quality of them playing in this country has had a diverse effect on standards. I still believe that the BOSMAN ruling is one that has killed not just smaller rugby league clubs, but sports management and transfers as a whole . It has destroyed the will of clubs to develop players to a standard which wpould have brought an income and possible financial success. Before BOSMAN, we didn't have so many imports in all sports.

Bob I have said this so many times before. The additional income from good transfer fees was the life blood of smaller clubs, and that income also helped develop youngber players and keeping them for longer. Look at the teams of the past.

Sorry Bob but i don't agree on this one, the Bosman ruling allowed sportsmen the same freedoms as ordinary working people. I have signed a contract at work but if i give the correct notice i can leave. Sportmen before the Bosman ruling could not. This is a restraint of trade. Saying that clubs invest time and money in their players is irrelevant. My company has invested a lot of time and money training me, doesn't stop me leaving if i want. Bosman is not to blame for RL's current troubles. Mis-management is.

Before we get embroilled in the Bosman ruling, it must be remembered that the Bosman ruling only involves trade between EU countries, therefore the Aussie, NZ and South sea island players are exempt to this ruling.

You are correct Andrew, however, my point was that many players nutured by British clubs were sold to raise funds . I believe the last worthwhile sale was Karl Pratt to Leeds we lost out on Andy Baily Richard Whiting and Jamie Rooney. These sales helped keep money within the British game, now the money comes from SKY and out through Oceana.

DMS I agree with your synopsis and as a good union man I have to concur, however, I put this forward as a reason for clubs buying in short term overseas players rather than developing their own and losing them at the end of their contracts.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

willie manu for england eh, now that's progress.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

Dumb and Dumber talking of Pat Richards for England as well tonight :huh:

best not say owt, emperors new clothes and all that.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

Is this the progress we have made. Manu and Richards for England. This is not progress. It's MADNESS!. I'm sorry but all you people who think SL is working, you are living in a self delusional world of your own. It plainly is not.

Is this the progress we have made. Manu and Richards for England. This is not progress. It's MADNESS!. I'm sorry but all you people who think SL is working, you are living in a self delusional world of your own. It plainly is not.

Well said Dave

Im Fev and im proud

Couldn't agree more. I'm sick of people saying it is working when you only need a tiny bit of intelligence to reaslise it isn't.

It goes completely against what S/L was set up for......

'To bring young English talent through the ranks to become the best team in the world'

However, the powers that be can't see this :(

The weak conform, the strong survive.

'To bring young English talent through the ranks to become the best team in the world'

yes mate, but look what a great competition we've got, hull 0 - wigan 46. real edge of your seat stuff. 2 top four teams i believe.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

Spot on, and clearly the Dual registration system is also slowing talent down. If the young lads were nutured properly they wouldn't need to be farmed out, but how do you leave an overseas player out to accomodate a good youngster ?

Spot on, and clearly the Dual registration system is also slowing talent down. If the young lads were nutured properly they wouldn't need to be farmed out, but how do you leave an overseas player out to accomodate a good youngster ?

By not signing as many imports in the first place, simple as !

Im Fev and im proud

I personally believe that the only real reason for the setting up of SL Europe - in truth a form of breakaway from the RFL - was to capture the control and distribution of Sky TV money amongst a self appointed "elite" group of clubs.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

GIVE US OUR GAME BACK.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

QUOTE (Jimmy B @ Jul 24 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally believe that the only real reason for the setting up of SL Europe - in truth a form of breakaway from the RFL - was to capture the control and distribution of Sky TV money amongst a self appointed "elite" group of clubs.

Well said, Jimmy B. You will hear lots of justifications, explanations and arguments from those inside the self-protection club that is Super League, but above is the simplest, most honest, and most accurate description of what it is really about.

GIVE US OUR GAME BACK.

Wasting your time my old friend. THEY AINT listening, i used to get really het up about it now i just watch rovers and @@@@ all the rest. After all some of our OWN fans think the RFL are doing a good job