Richard Lewis' future and RL's funding

Look who's top of AA North, Bolton Robots of Doom legendary name.

But on topic not sure how this will effect us. Seems a logical merger I was worried when I first heard rumours of Sport England going. We may lose out as a non-Olympic sport but can't see funding restricted to Olympic events as not just us but also cricket would lose out. The Sport England money is doing us a lot of good in the midlands (along with the hard work of volunteers of course) and sure it is elsewhere too.

Look who's top of AA North, Bolton Robots of Doom legendary name.

But on topic not sure how this will effect us. Seems a logical merger I was worried when I first heard rumours of Sport England going. We may lose out as a non-Olympic sport but can't see funding restricted to Olympic events as not just us but also cricket would lose out. The Sport England money is doing us a lot of good in the midlands (along with the hard work of volunteers of course) and sure it is elsewhere too.

Sport England is not doing the job it should be doing for ALL sports. Ten identified sports such as soccer, RL, RU, cricket, athletics, tennis, swimming, (is polo one?) etc, are doing alright but lesser sports are missing out. I attended a funding fair a few months a go and the facilitator for the lettery workshop was telling us that for sports outside the top 10 selected by Sport England it was a waste of time looking at them for funding until after the 2012 Olympics!!!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Dont ask why i was on the British Baseball site but saw this article:

Merge UK Sport and Sport England

so where would this leave the fundung RL has been getting for grass roots and where would it leave Mr Lewis re hs job there?

I have read the article but this sounds like nonsense. The UK and England are obviously two different things and I can't see how these two could be merged. Where would that leave Scotland / Wales / Northern Ireland for one thing?

I have read the article but this sounds like nonsense. The UK and England are obviously two different things and I can't see how these two could be merged. Where would that leave Scotland / Wales / Northern Ireland for one thing?

Further down the page is the following quote:-

"Proposals are being developed to bring UK Sport, Sport England and Youth Sport Trust under one roof while maintaining their separate roles and responsibilities."

So the merged entity will continue to do what it does now, that is, it will deal with the elite parts of UK sport where we participate as a combined nation, but it will control sports development in England, ie I would expect the regions of Sport England to continue to function. The savings will come from merging the central administrations of both bodies.

The equivalent bodies in the other three nations will continue to control development (depending on decisions made in the devolved administrations) and have input into the merged body as and when necessary.

In itself the merger needn't be that significant and probably could have happened in normal times without having any impact. The real pointer to changed times in sports development is part of another quote further down the page:-

"The new government has moved away from the adult physical activity agenda of two million more adults doing more sport...".

Isn't that why RL is getting the

The RFL recently appointed Ralph Rimmer as CEO.

Hmm. :ph34r:

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �