Long lost amateur clubs

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't he involved with Bisons but weren't they a works team?

Yes in theory, linked to Bisons Floors originally I believe, at Stourton. But I think that like many teams based on "works" or companies, the link was loosened, and it became a club in its own right.

Most well known former Bisons player was Mick Appleyard, who captained the first GB BARLA Tour to the Pacific.

Like Brassmoulders the spirit of Bisons lingers in the Hunslet Warriors.

If you're wondering why I suddenly got a load of information: http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/87094-defunct-winners/

Couldn't link it earlier on my Ipod

The Kingston upon Hull league in 1975-76 consisted of

Ace Amateurs

Albion

Bass North

Beecroft & Wightman

Birds Eye

Broady's

Cawoods

City Transport

Concorde

Corporation Telephones

Fenners

Grange

Hellyers

Hull Co-op

Ideal Standard

Metal Box

Mysons

Newlander Caravans

NDLB

Papropack

Reckitts

Sizers

Tetleys

Van Leer

24 teams, guessing that's 2 or 3 divisions

Newlander is another early incarnation of Myton Warriors.

rldfsignature.jpg

Was Triangle Valve from Triangle or was it a company team? My father's business bought a company called Triangle about 30 years ago - they made actuators and valves.

Triangle Valve was an engineering works in Wigan, i don't know if they had branches elsewhere.

I think that if you look back far enough, you can find a team who competed in the Challenge Cup under the magnificent moniker of "Twelve Apostles." I believe they were from the Leigh area, maybe a church/parish team - do any of the Lobbygobblers in here know for certain?

Twelve Apostles were Leigh based and were a parish team, the Twelve Apostles social club is on WestLeigh road on the junction with Nell Pan Lane.

Well that's good to know, I put them into Google and none of the links came up with anything.

Basically the Pennine League took the top clubs from the Yorkshire League (apart from Hunslet Warriors who went NCL and Fryston for some reason I'm not aware) and as division 1 champions that included Ossett Trinity. Basically the Premier Division had failed due to huge standard gaps and loads of sides dropping out every year so they needed to sort out the mess.

The Kingston upon Hull league in 1975-76 consisted of

Ace Amateurs

Albion

Bass North

Beecroft & Wightman

Birds Eye

Broady's

Cawoods

City Transport

Concorde

Corporation Telephones

Fenners

Grange

Hellyers

Hull Co-op

Ideal Standard

Metal Box

Mysons

Newlander Caravans

NDLB

Papropack

Reckitts

Sizers

Tetleys

Van Leer

As in the Metal Box Company? The house I live in (in Acton, west London) was built by the Metal Box Company. They had a factory round the corner and built an estate for their workforce. Eventually the houses were sold off, so too the freehold on the flats. The Factory was closed later too.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Can anybody remember teams around Wakefield from early 80's like Truck Components,Manor and Flanshaw also Bullcroft from Doncaster area and Sailors Home Knottingley.

Can anybody remember teams around Wakefield from early 80's like Truck Components,Manor and Flanshaw also Bullcroft from Doncaster area and Sailors Home Knottingley.

Truck Components were based in Morley- they may have been successors of BRK.

Going back to Bisons - didn't Trevor Skerrett play for them too?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Apparently there was a rugby league club in a mining village called Arley near Coventry at some point, though I can't find any information about them so can't confirm it.

There were loads of clubs in Coventry before the first world war.

There were loads of clubs in Coventry before the first world war.

Think the amateur league carried on til the 30s. Based mainly around the factories.

Though I don't have many of the MASWARLA lineups to see which clubs there were then unfortunately

There is an article about Reckitts in the forthcoming issue of 'RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD'.

Should be worth a look. Many of their products went on to become household names.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Should be worth a look. Many of their products went on to become household names.

You should know better! wink.gif

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

Truck Components were based in Morley- they may have been successors of BRK.

Going back to Bisons - didn't Trevor Skerrett play for them too?

Burwell,Reed and Kinghorne were originally a factory side playing out of their Morley/Churwell base and when they folded what was left of the players went on to form Drighlington open age as they only had juniors at the time

In the sixties I played U17 for Ossett Trinity, who seem to have disappeared from the fixture list recently. We played in the Dewsbury and Batley League against teams from Chickenley (now defunct) Thonhill (still thriving) Shaw Cross (who ran five teams 3 U19 2 U17) Staincliffe, and Batley Supporters. The rest of our fixtures were friendlies against teams like Corpus Christi, Market District from Leeds, Glasshoughton, Clayton. We also played a team from York (could have been Heworth) and the pitch was in the centre of York Raceourse. Having read his book I'm sure I must have played against Stevo, but I can't say I remember him.

rose and crown used to play on racecourse .dont think heworth ever did.

Reckitts' Blue gets bigged up-seriously!

I'm definitely buying it in that case!

Me mam used to put that in the washing-up bowl when I was playing with me boats. I used to think it was brilliant. Reckitt's spilled a load into the River Hull once too. Must have made it look a lot nicer.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

unos dabs were from st helens........

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Archived