Brough leads Albert Goldthorpe Medal table

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all subjective, but it's not consistently subjective.  DIfferent reporters at different games each week giving out their scores, some with a far more detailed understanding of how the game is played than others.  To do it properly you'd sit the same people down each week (coaches/ex-coaches not journalists) and have them rate all players in all games, not really practical.

That's very true. If you see "game stats" done by different people then they can have very different numbers for number of tackles, metres gained etc even though they watched the same game.

To put you out of your misery, Sinfield came 14th in the Albert Goldthorpe table in 2012.

It is worth remembering that the Goldthorpe table includes Super League regular season games only. It excludes the play-offs, the Challenge Cup and the International matches, which of course are considered in the context of the Golden Boot.

It'll take a lot more than that to cure my misery.

In fairness a good RL journalist would probably be able to build a case that one or both of the awards are fundamentally flawed based on the above. Still you got a fair bit of press and debate which I know you enjoy.

Edited by Larry the Leit

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

I generally do but one player might be an ever present and the other out half the season with injury but the second might have a higher average.

Yes, it's why I suggested eligibility rules - maybe 20 games?

Fair enough about the eligibility, reference sending offs etc.  I wasn't sure on this, and checked on Wikipedia before posting, it seems that that source is a little out of date on this.

John Drake gave me the info to make into a wiki article back when the competition was launched. No-one told me that the eligibility rules have changed.

Edited by Northern Sol

There's two Danny Broughs? Both with  stupid harircuts?  OMG!  The street must be full of spit dummies and deep fried Mars Bars. Still, there's time for him to become English again

Sometimes looks like there is in some games, then they both go missing in others.

Huddersfield get one, McNamara gets the other in his dungeon.

To put you out of your misery, Sinfield came 14th in the Albert Goldthorpe table in 2012.

It is worth remembering that the Goldthorpe table includes Super League regular season games only. It excludes the play-offs, the Challenge Cup and the International matches, which of course are considered in the context of the Golden Boot.

Great debate this. It is subjective but, try as I may, I can't help cringing about any award that links Kevin Sinfield with the world's best player. It's embarrassing.

Our friends down under were right to laugh out loud.... Even my mate the rhino fan (he's from Newmarket and does not quite understand...) choked on his Campari when he heard it.

As per previous posts - every player should get an inependent rating after every game. Couldn't Clarkeys millions of stats finally be out to use for something useful......??

Great debate this. It is subjective but, try as I may, I can't help cringing about any award that links Kevin Sinfield with the world's best player. It's embarrassing.

Our friends down under were right to laugh out loud.... Even my mate the rhino fan (he's from Newmarket and does not quite understand...) choked on his Campari when he heard it.

As per previous posts - every player should get an inependent rating after every game. Couldn't Clarkeys millions of stats finally be out to use for something useful......??

aye. Nowhere near best gb player never mind worlds.