Whisky

80% convinced it's an Ardbeg but a wee bit of my brain is saying "you sure it's not a Lagavulin?".  I've always been convinced that Ardbeg is overpriced for what it is but it's a massive bargain at £20.50!

I may need a list from you!  I will be in England in a few weeks and quite possibly in supermarkets.

What should be on my list of whiskys to buy.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I may need a list from you! I will be in England in a few weeks and quite possibly in supermarkets.

What should be on my list of whiskys to buy.

It depends. Have you a favourite whisky type?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I am fond of Islay.

it's only recently that I've started experimenting with rebranded supermarket stuff but if it's got Islay single malt on it then it's not going to be bad stuff.

My favourite Islay whisky is Laphroaig.  Of those, the 10y/o Cask Strength is my favourite.

I've only tried two supermarket rebrands but so far I've made the following guesses:

Tesco 10y/o = Bowmore

Asda 12y/o = Ardbeg.  The Asda one doesn't say 12y/o on the box but it does on the website detailed description.

I've been told by a friend that the Waitrose one is most likely a rebadged Bunnahabhain and the M&S one is a rebadged Laphroaig.  You don't really save much money with them though as they're both at the £30 price mark.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

it's only recently that I've started experimenting with rebranded supermarket stuff but if it's got Islay single malt on it then it's not going to be bad stuff.

My favourite Islay whisky is Laphroaig.  Of those, the 10y/o Cask Strength is my favourite.

I've only tried two supermarket rebrands but so far I've made the following guesses:

Tesco 10y/o = Bowmore

Asda 12y/o = Ardbeg.  The Asda one doesn't say 12y/o on the box but it does on the website detailed description.

I've been told by a friend that the Waitrose one is most likely a rebadged Bunnahabhain and the M&S one is a rebadged Laphroaig.  You don't really save much money with them though as they're both at the £30 price mark.

The Sainsburys own brand Islay that they were selling last year was really nice, I really wish I had stocked up on it. I am still working my way through the bottle of Bowmore 100 degrees proof I got end of last year but not sure what to go for next. I need to get myself to my nearest Asda.

Quite. I was a bit chary of these own-label whiskies for a long time, before the penny dropped that, if it says "Islay Single Malt" on the bottle, then they'd have had their collars felt by the trades description mob if it wasn't the real thing.

Oddbins used to do their own too, years ago, and their Speyside was just wonderful.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tesco 10y/o = Bowmore

Thanks!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Tesco 10y/o = Bowmore

The Waitrose ones have been better value over the last few weeks at twenty per cent off the normal price (as with their excellent own brand continental beers).

If anybody's got fifty five quid burning a hole in their pocket, Aldi have a thirty year old whisky on offer at the moment.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

And tonight's special is the Waitrose 12y/o Islay Single Malt, courtesy of my ever loving wife who I'm getting more convinced by the day is trying to bump me off through alcohol poisoning.

A wee sniff and taste says I must disagree with my friend.  The first sniff is a smoky, peaty mallet in the face suggesting either Laphroaig or Lagavulin.  The little hint of sweetness on the tongue though takes it more towards Lagavulin.

Updates later after the rugby.

And tonight's special is the Waitrose 12y/o Islay Single Malt, courtesy of my ever loving wife who I'm getting more convinced by the day is trying to bump me off through alcohol poisoning.

A wee sniff and taste says I must disagree with my friend.  The first sniff is a smoky, peaty mallet in the face suggesting either Laphroaig or Lagavulin.  The little hint of sweetness on the tongue though takes it more towards Lagavulin.

Not a Whiskey expert but how can a Laphroaig taste like mouthwash on first sip and then taste smooth and lovely on the 2nd.

I left the report on this as I really am not sure.  It's got the unrefined edge that you expect from a Laphroaig but with many of the tasting notes of a Lagavulin, I certainly wouldn't expect a 12y/o Lagavulin to have that much bite in it.  If it didn't have the words "Single Malt" on it, I'd be convinced it was a blend of the two.  I think I'm more tempted towards declaring it to be a Laphroaig though.  It's certainly no Bunnahabhain though or Caol Ila as some suggest unless someone was burning peat underneath the barrels in the distillery.

Not a Whiskey expert but how can a Laphroaig taste like mouthwash on first sip and then taste smooth and lovely on the 2nd.

It depends how you respect it.  If you slug it back then it hits the wrong parts of the tongue and really tastes not that good, what probably happens with you is the first slug has beaten you into being careful with the second and then you sip it properly with it hitting the right tastebuds for proper flavour.  Treat it like you're drinking tea or coffee that you know is far too hot and sip it like that.

There wasn't any reasonably priced Islay to be had in my local Tesco yesterday.

I bought an 8 year old Bourbon "BuffaloTrace" £20.50.

At first I found it a bit sweet but it grew on me. Very smooth and worth trying.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Well that's that bottle finished. How come there are only three drinks in a bottle of whisky?

The glass you're using is too small.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

In a strange fit of "ah what the hell" I bought a half-bottle of Jura Superstition at Asda as it was cut to £13.  I saw that it was a "peaty" version of Jura and thought it'd be worth a go.  It's ok.  It's not awful, like the Adnams stuff, but it's not on my list of whiskies to buy again.

The first sip said "Bells".  The second sip suggested it needed a bit of water to wake it up, that worked slightly.  I decided it needed a cube of ice to change the temperature, that's made it quite nice.  Again, just nice but not anywhere near what I'd call a really nice whisky.

In a strange fit of "ah what the hell" I bought a half-bottle of Jura Superstition at Asda as it was cut to £13.  I saw that it was a "peaty" version of Jura and thought it'd be worth a go.  It's ok.  It's not awful, like the Adnams stuff, but it's not on my list of whiskies to buy again.

The first sip said "Bells".  The second sip suggested it needed a bit of water to wake it up, that worked slightly.  I decided it needed a cube of ice to change the temperature, that's made it quite nice.  Again, just nice but not anywhere near what I'd call a really nice whisky.

Everywhere I see Jura, I see 'big discount' labels. That doesn't send out a great signal.

I just bought a bottle of Bowmore bourbon cask. It's rather nice.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

My bottle of Bowmore 100 degrees is almost gone so I've just ordered a bottle of Laphroaig Triple Wood from Amazon which should be delivered tomorrow thanks to the wonders of Prime. I don't think that I have ever tried Laphroaig so this should be interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Laphroaig have just released this year's Cask Strength batch (006) at a lovely 58.0%ABV.  Order placed for two bottles plus a bottle of 18yo just as a reward for me being such a good boy this year (obviously my own very subjective assessment of "good boy")

On my recent trip back to the UK I was given:

• a half bottle of Glenmorangie
  • a bottle of the Black Grouse
  • and a 16 yr old Lagavulin

The no spirits rule is coming under some serious mental siege…..