Record number of Rugby League nations meet

A record number of 24 nations, an increase of four from last year, attended the 11th Rugby League European Federation Annual Council Meeting and fourth RLEF Conference at Brunel University, to coincide with last weekend’s Challenge Cup final at Wembley Stadium.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

I have posted something like this before but the growth of international RL, however small and fledgling some nations status is, compared to the four or five nations, if Wales is included, that were formerly the sum total of the international scope of our game, is nothing short of amazing.

As with domestic spread of the game in the UK, I think much of this growth can be linked to the decision forced on the IRB to abandon their century long ban on participation in RL by players and clubs.

Whatever the cause, the growth of international RL is explosive and very positive as regards the future of out game.

The RLEF conference was also extremely useful.  I do not normally like to comment on such things on the internet, but the support, exchange of experiences, ideas and all that was a real treasure trove.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

The RLEF conference was also extremely useful.  I do not normally like to comment on such things on the internet, but the support, exchange of experiences, ideas and all that was a real treasure trove.

as GS said excellent news and great to hear that nations are sharing experiences and aspects of development that may benefit each other.

rldfsignature.jpg

In many cases, this time of year is also an important part of the domestic season.  Sending the great and good of an organistion to Wembley is worthwhile, but it can be there are more important uses of those people's time and money.  Bear in mind how far spread the RLEF is with countries (often developing countries) in North America, Asia and Africa, the time and money is not trivial.

I have reported back the highlights to the DRLF, but also to other federations who were not able to send reps.  It is a tribute to the event that so many do attend. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

"Thirteen of 15 RLEF members, eight of 13 Observers …"

I wonder who was missing and why?

Members in attendance: Czech Republic (CZRLA), England (RFL), France (FFRXIII), Germany (RLD), Ireland (RLI), Italy (FIRL), Lebanon (LRLF), Russia (ARLK), Scotland (SRL), Serbia (SRLF), South Africa (SARL), Ukraine (UFRL), Wales (WRL)

Observers: Belgium (BRLA), Denmark (DRLF), Greece (HeRLFC), Latvia (LRL), Malta (MRL), Netherlands (NRLB), Sweden (SRL), UAE (UAERL)

Uncategorised: Ghana, Poland, Romania

I see Canada, USA and Jamaica missing, which is fairly understandable

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board