Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

re James Maloney:

Would think that Sharks would want to keep him and that he would surely not choose Warriors or Knights over his current club, providing they pay him more like they'd have to pay anyone of his ability to take his place..

I did hear Souths were interested too.

Fox Sports:

The Blues five-eighth is only on around $600,000 for next season, well below what plenty of other halves in the NRL will be earning. And plenty of them haven’t played representative football.

Part of the problem for the Sharks is when Maloney initially asked for an upgrade, the club told him he was free to have a look around. The thinking was if he could secure a strong three-year deal elsewhere, Cronulla might not stand his way.

Perhaps what the premiers did not bank on was the level of interest from rival clubs.

Maloney turns 31 next week. Despite giving away more penalties than any other player in the NRL, he remains among of the top three playmakers in the game. Only Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk are ahead of him — and there’s an argument he’s gone past Cronk.

So with rival clubs headed by the Rabbitohs, Warriors and Knights now all queuing up to try and throw around the $1 million-per-season mark, the Sharks have got a massive call to make.

There is no question the premiers are nowhere near as dangerous without Maloney wearing the No.6. So much so when the Sharks board heard about how Maloney had been given the option of look around for next season, they intervened and said no way.

The issue has now been bubbling below the surface for the past three months.

Now it’s in the public domain, look out.

The word is if the Sharks can find a suitable replacement, there are figureheads at the club who are prepared to let Maloney go.

Perhaps they should pick the phone up and talk to powerful Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis.

The Roosters opted to let Maloney go at the end of 2015. It’s a decision Politis regretted for all of last year, especially come the first Sunday in October.

Don't let Maloney go Sharks without being sure you have  a definite top class replacement.

By the way, talking of Cooper Cronk...

Storm have apparently thrown out an offer for Coops for next season where he could sit out the first two months. This would have something to do with helping Brodie Croft to develop his game.

Edited by Graham

The more I read about this rumour, the more I think Maloney's going to leave the club at the end of the season. I can live with that if he leads Cronulla to back-to-back premierships.

Edit: wage inflation aside (many clubs paying overs to attract decent to good players), the NRL is responsible for the current mess (Maloney and plenty others) with its inability to announce salary cap figures for 2018 and beyond.

Edited by Vichyssoise

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

593a99d78929c_AdamElliotttDogs.jpg.b2ebb1e86f618d9926ccccff18daccf4.jpg

Adam Elliott has  signed a three-year contract extension with Canterbury.

Elliott had attracted interest from a number of suitors including Parramatta and Cronulla but decided to remain at Belmore. The 22-year-old has been a bright spot in a disappointing season for the Bulldogs, cementing his place in a strong pack. He was rewarded with his first representative jersey, for Country NSW, after producing a string of strong performances that have resulted in more game time under coach Des Hasler.

Edited by Graham

Back on the James Maloney issue.

2-time Premiership player, firmly established In the NSW number 6 jersey. You would think at the age of 31 the one thing remaining on his mind is to earn one more lucrative big-money contract from which ever club he could get extract it from.

Blow for the Storm.

The improvement from McLean & Asofa Solomona this season coupled with the established Bromwich have given them the best front-row rotation in the NRL.

That old fella Smith dictating play out of dummy half ain't half bad either!

It looks like Gagai has signed a 4-year contract with South.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

593bfcbe95a7c_BenHunt.jpg.891e138a9d544be3ead3d82023c795cc.jpg

So Mr Bennett has dumped Ben Hunt to reserve grade. You reckon that's harsh?

Of course we know he's off to Dragons next season, but that's no reason to drop him, or is it?

No it's more to do with his current form surely, or lack of it ... well at least ordinary?

Brave to drop him?

Well normally you play your best players.

Broncos don't want a coasting Ben Hunt, they need a bloke keen to be on his best form as a matter of principle.

Edited by Graham

South Sydney centre Bryson Goodwin has all but confirmed a move to England at the end of the NRL season, but refused to believe the Rabbitohs' current campaign is over.

Goodwin, who was part of the Rabbitohs' drought-breaking 2014 premiership squad, is set to link with Super League side Leigh in 2018, spelling the end to his 11-season NRL career.

IMG_1239.JPG.04db6774bd3b5c16ab43e6b013943562.JPG

Cheyse Blair

Jordan McLean suffered a broken cheekbone in the Club’s win over Cronulla Sharks last Thursday night.

McLean had surgery on Friday and be sidelined for approximately four weeks.

In other injury news, centre Cheyse Blair underwent minor ankle surgery across the weekend and will be sidelined for 3-4 weeks.

Edited by Graham

593f9b5e786c5_NateMyles.jpg.510d6199d5cfca48edbe4b119519492c.jpg

Melbourne Storm have signed Nate Myles for the rest of the NRL season.

He has already joined the Storm but was not named in the side to play North Queensland Cowboys at AAMI Park on Saturday as he completes his recovery from an elbow injury.

Storm, as in a previous season, had kept a place open in their player roster for a mid season signing.

They did a similar thing in 2014 when they signed Marika Koroibete mid season from Wests Tigers.

SKD.jpg.d3df875e97588059fc39a4d0812e8ff0.jpg

Shaun Kenny-Dowall's NRL career hinges on his court case next week. Apparently it's his first offence so he might get a 'no conviction recorded' outcome. Remember this is for alleged possession of cocaine in a night club.

If so he could be a Knights' signing before June 30th deadline.

He won't be at Roosters any more - they released him earlier this week.

I read he would like to stay in the NRL but there could be an offer from a couple of SL clubs, say Salford and maybe Warrington...?

Edited by Graham

5941290ca9412_BillyWhizz.jpg.332b0b0251ad3ea06e42e882416c8779.jpg

Billy Slater says he is leaning toward extending his career and re-signing with Melbourne for the 2018 NRL season.

Slater — 34 this weekend — will cap a remarkable comeback story when he runs out in Origin II in Sydney on June 21 — his first match for Queensland since game two, 2015.

Yet the veteran Melbourne fullback is far from satisfied, admitting he is entertaining the idea of another year after making a stunning return from two shoulder reconstructions.

“I am more a chance than not, to play next year,” Slater said. “I have already had discussions with Melbourne. They have been very respectful in allowing me to have time to make my decision.

“It’s about whether I feel I can put 100 per cent of my focus and myself into next year. I don’t want to jump in half-hearted.

Billy has had 2 years out and has probably refreshed his whole body not just the shoulder. I think He will go for another year and his Form this year Shows He is still the best Fullback. His communicating and attention to Detail is legendary like Smith and Cronk and why them 3 have Been so good for so long.

John Sutton will play his 300th game for South Sydney tonight & that's a real achievement in my books, John has never got the credit he deserves given he is a modern day legend of the most successful Australian RL club that no other player has made the 300 game milestone for.

I went to England with Johns Snr (A Rabbitohs diehard) to see the WCC & I know he and Johns mother will be immensely proud as all Rabbitohs faithful are tonight.

Edited by RabbitRhinoovOZ
  • Like 1

59467256ba187_danMortimer.jpg.a5ce7514e95bf519ff11025984c750cc.jpg

Just a day after saving Cronulla at the death with a crucial try assist against the Tigers, Daniel Mortimer is set for a mid-season move to the Super League.

He will apparently move to Leigh Centurions - the same club Bryson Goodwin is to go to next season.

The 28-year-old only just made his debut for an Origin-depleted Cronulla outfit on Saturday and produced the winnning play in the final two minutes.

Leigh will be his fifth rugby league club after having previous stints with the Eels, Roosters, Titans and most recently the Sharks.

Cronulla are strong for depth in the hooker role with Jayden Brailey seeming very comfortable in the starting role, James Segeyaro as useful backup and Brailey's younger brother Blayke making a name for himself in the under 20's.

Edited by Graham