Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

42 minutes ago, Graham said:

How can you be found guilty and be discharged without conviction?

Laws differ from State to State but, in NSW, generally on a first offence, you can get a No Conviction Recorded in some cases. I think the reporter was writing colloquially rather than legalistically. I'm guessing the magistrate "found the offence proven" but, under the relevant section, ordered that "no conviction be recorded."

Sorry Irish Saint but ...

FOLAU SACKED is the latest headline, though it is a Rugby Union one.

Given Folau's time and achievements in RL I thought it was newsworthy, but not upbeat...

Israel Folau is to be sacked by Rugby Australia after refusing to respond to attempts to contact him following his homophobic and hateful social media outburst, ruling him out of this year’s Rugby World Cup.
In a joint statement issued by Rugby Australia and his club, the New South Wales Waratahs, it was confirmed that the failure of the 73-cap international to respond to the governing body – as well as his representatives – has left them with no option than to terminate his contract.
A statement issued by RA chief executive Raelene Castle and NSW Rugby Union CEO Andrew Hore read: “Rugby Australia and the New South Wales Rugby Union have made repeated attempts to contact Israel both directly and via his representatives since 6.30pm on Wednesday, and at this point he had failed to communicate directly with either organisation.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... Positve News - Community Work; Folau Sacked (RU)

^^^^^^^^^

In a way I'm surprised there hasn't been a headline you can take him out of Rugby League but you can't take Rugby League behaviour  out of him . 

The union/ rah  rah press is slipping.

• Like 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

3 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

^^^^^^^^^

In a way I'm surprised there hasn't been a headline you can take him out of Rugby League but you can't take Rugby League behaviour  out of him . 

The union/ rah  rah press is slipping.

It has only just happened. Look out for the pompous "think pieces" in the weekend editions.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... Injury list after R5!
  • Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... Greenberg Acted With No Evidence

Paul McGregor is in line to become St George Illawarra’s longest serving coach with the club on the verge of extending his contract.

According to reports, the Dragons are set to give McGregor a new two-year deal that will see him remain at the Red V until the end of 2021.

Should McGregor (119 games) see out his new deal, he’ll overtake Nathan Brown (151) as the joint venture’s longest serving coach.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... Greenberg Acted With No Evidence; Paul McGregor;

Sydney Roosters centre Joey Manu has been ruled out of the NRL grand final rematch against Melbourne after being found guilty of dangerous contact at the tribunal on Tuesday night.

New Zealand international Manu was charged with a crusher tackle on Cronulla winger Sione Katoa and pleaded not guilty, as he was already looking at a week out due to carry-over points.

Manu was given a one-game suspension.

Manly prop Addin Fonua-Blake was also found guilty at the tribunal after being charged with a careless high tackle on Newcastle’s Mitchell Pearce.

He was handed a two-match NRL ban.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... Greenberg Acted With No Evidence; Paul McGregor; Addin Fonua-Blake and Joseph Manu suspended
21 hours ago, DavidM said:

I hope his team rip their argument apart , they all have to resign and he gets back in the team 

Innocent until proven guilty.

He has denied the charges.

The case could take a long time to come to court and be concluded, by which time he will have lost a lot of game time and reputation.

He should have been allowed to play on. If he were eventually to be found guilty then an appropriately big penalty would then be deserved.

If not guilty then this action  of standing him down could not be undone retrospectively. He'd have a big yawning gap in his career and his future form and time in the game would not be guaranteed.

• Thanks 1

Yes, all that bad publicity did the game no good. I'm sure some sponsors could have been put off.

All the same this does stink of knee jerkery. It's also a bad principle.

Whatever Greenberg calls the rule, by him standing DeBelin down there is the impression that the player is guilty.

So despite the list of transgressions in the off season there is no good reason to react in this way.  

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... Greenberg Acted With No Evidence; DeBelin

He admitted he had no evidence at all of any wrongdoing , went purely on there being a charge , and when challenged on his reasoning had the phenomenal answer that he’d heard of his daughters friends who may not play casual touch football anymore because of negative press . All laudable but it’s a total house of sand on which to build a case  to wipe people out before due process . 

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

He admitted he had no evidence at all of any wrongdoing , went purely on there being a charge , and when challenged on his reasoning had the phenomenal answer that he’d heard of his daughters friends who may not play casual touch football anymore because of negative press . All laudable but it’s a total house of sand on which to build a case  to wipe people out before due process . 

It could spell the end of Greenberg’s time, depends how many friends in high places he has still

Brett Finch has questioned rugby league’s tough stance over a move for Israel Folau given the code has a chequered history of allowing criminals to return after serving sentences. 

Folau, who prompted outrage on social media recently with a post saying homosexuals will go to “hell”, is facing exile from rugby union.

A switch to Super League has been mooted as a possibility, but the Australian Rugby League Comission has ruled out sanctioning a move back to league for the disgraced Wallaby.

Speaking on the Life of Bryan and Adam podcast, Finch questioned the NRL’s no-nonsense approach, given it has previously let convicted criminals to come back to the game.

“Rugby league shouldn’t have commented in the first place. It’s not a rugby league issue,” Finch said.

“Until he knocks on the door, we don’t need to comment — it’s not a rugby league issue. The thing rugby league gets itself in trouble for, (is) we’ve let criminals back into the game.

We let people who’ve committed crimes who’ve been in jail, come back into the game.

“Last time I checked, Israel Folau didn’t commit a crime.

‘I don’t agree for one bit with he is saying, but he has the right to say what he wants.

“Clubs can choose not to sign him, but for the game to say, ‘you’re not allowed,’ I don’t think they can do that, because we’ve let people back in who’ve (committed) domestic violence, the list goes on with (indiscretions).

“That’s where we’ve set a precedent in the past.”

5 hours ago, Graham said:

Brown on his way out at Newcastle?

Speculation being aired on Fox Sports TV

Sad to see Nathan go for what he did at Saints. however it has to be said he has been given time at Newcastle to build a team and sadly just doesn't seem to be happening.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

The Roosters will be sweating on Luke Keary to pass all the necessary concussion protocols to make the field on Anzac Day.

Keary copped a nasty knock late in the Roosters’ win over Melbourne and will need to be “perfect” to be named to play the Dragons on Thursday at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Meanwhile, Sharks’ rising star Briton Nikora has accepted a one-match ban for a dangerous throw and will miss Cronulla’s clash with the Broncos on Saturday.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... Keary? Nikora out