middle 8

Totally agree, the problem you have is exactly what Fev did, spent big, possibly more than they had and under achieved, it's going to take a few years to put that right now, Jon sharps words, not mine, I also see Bradford and Leigh going through a similar thing if not promoted, Sheffield going full time and giving out contracts that nobody wants as can't afford to pay proper full time wages, big exodus of players in the off season there.

Fax, spending on infrastructure and academy to "build", this may take a few years before they can have a go at promotion but doing it in a sustainable manner is only good for the club as a whole, Richard marshals vision isn't the immediate promised land others seem to be desperate to chase. I'm loving these middle 8's and had no delusions of grandure before entering into it, a shame this can't be said for the others. Fax will be 5th or 6th. They had budgeted for 5th in the regular season.

sheff have 12 fully pro players....one would imagine upping that to at least 20 ...I wouldnt imagine they would just pay the same squad more as that is just bad management....unless of course there's a few young uns waiting in the wings...aka hardaker/walmsley

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sheff have 12 fully pro players....one would imagine upping that to at least 20 ...I wouldnt imagine they would just pay the same squad more as that is just bad management....unless of course there's a few young uns waiting in the wings...aka hardaker/walmsley

20 isn't enough , essentially a full squad ( 30 ) is the bare minimum to make any sort of impression , and that will take several months as well

I'd like the Championship to be built into a stronger league in itself.

I don't know if it's possible? But is there any Chance of a TV deal? Would the clubs want this? I'm talking about showing just the one game a week. Showcasing Rugby League to a non Sky TV audience.

Maybe on channel 5 or another terrestrial TV channel. Hopefully building the Championship into a more attractive league.

A ' Vibrant , worth winning in its own right ' sort of thing ?

But with Promotion to SL , or as a second tier without promotion ?

I've still really enjoyed it so far!

And me , if it doesn't scare and excite in equal amounts there isn't much point IMO

It seems to me that it is 90% fans of clubs not involved in it that are complaining about it , and expecting too much from it , which then gives them ammunition to say it isn't working , when those actually playing and attending are enjoying it , it certainly seemed that the Salford players we're excited by it the way they celebrated every score , it was like they'd just won the Challenge Cup

I have no sympathy if I'm being honest as this is what the champ clubs wanted/voted for. They wanted a piece of the funding/ promotion and they have got that so I don't see the problem myself and I'm a fan of a champ club. They need to work towards pipping a SL club and making the step up not whinge about how hard or unfair it is. We all knew it was going to be hard so nothing's changed IMO.

Gaz , who's doing the majority of the whingeing about it ?

I don't think it is a pressure thing. I think Leigh have gotten used to a style of play that they are talented enough to get away with at Championship level, where there isn't the same need to complete your sets, to not force offloads, to stick to your structure. Now they're playing against teams that can and will punish them when they force passes that may have been okay against Featherstone.

Without doubt

I'm sure if a current SL club spent a season in the Championship , they would then struggle to step up and become competitive immediately

Everybody is entitled to their opinion , personally I think Paul got his interchanges wrong today , he no doubt would disagree

Maybe he should have tried to use Salford's  ;)

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I'd read Paul's comments as self criticism and needing to improve[/quote

Getting promotion was never going to happen over night and who ever thought a champ club would go up this season must of been dreaming. It will take a few years to displace a SL club but I do think it will happen eventually just not yet. Champ clubs need to improve year on year and that includes every champ club not just the FT clubs. This middle 8s is a massive learning curve and I'm sure the champ clubs will be a lot wiser and more prepared the next time round. I doubt the same 4 will be their from the champ next season though.

I'd read Paul's comments as self criticism and needing to improve[/quote

Getting promotion was never going to happen over night and who ever thought a champ club would go up this season must of been dreaming. It will take a few years to displace a SL club but I do think it will happen eventually just not yet. Champ clubs need to improve year on year and that includes every champ club not just the FT clubs. This middle 8s is a massive learning curve and I'm sure the champ clubs will be a lot wiser and more prepared the next time round. I doubt the same 4 will be their from the champ next season though.

I concur

I disagree , it no doubt changed some fans perceptions of how difficult the 8 s would be

Cup games mean nothing compared to survival. You beat Salford and wakey in the cup and Salford put you to the sword this weekend and I expect wakey to do the same. Going on a cup run is ok when there is no promotion but now there is I honestly do think Leigh's cup exploits were/are disastrous to their promotion plans. It happened to fev a few years back.

Cup games mean nothing compared to survival. You beat Salford and wakey in the cup and Salford put you to the sword this weekend and I expect wakey to do the same. Going on a cup run is ok when there is no promotion but now there is I honestly do think Leigh's cup exploits were/are disastrous to their promotion plans. It happened to fev a few years back.

If a cup run affects you so badly then you aren't good enough

If a cup run affects you so badly then you aren't good enough

Exactly Leigh are not good enough lol. On a serious note though it's extra games in a season plus at a higher intensity. I know Leigh are FT but it must of taken its toll somewhere along the line it's only natural for players to feel fatigued etc especially playing better and fitter teams.

Exactly Leigh are not good enough lol. On a serious note though it's extra games in a season plus at a higher intensity. I know Leigh are FT but it must of taken its toll somewhere along the line it's only natural for players to feel fatigued etc especially playing better and fitter teams.

You might be right , or not , only I'me will tell

Nothing wrong with Leigh's players , just the timing of using them , something you probably don't understand

Nul points says different.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Surely the Million pound game is an admission by the RFL that the middle 8 concept is flawed.

If Leigh lose to Wakefield on Saturday, then they know that they must beat Bradford to get another crack at them! If the Million Pound game wasn't there then defeat at the weekend would be the end of Leigh's season....I'd say the million pound game is quite a clever move by the RFL and I rarely have anything nice to say about them!

Thank You for Listening

Derek

If Leigh lose to Wakefield on Saturday, then they know that they must beat Bradford to get another crack at them! If the Million Pound game wasn't there then defeat at the weekend would be the end of Leigh's season....I'd say the million pound game is quite a clever move by the RFL and I rarely have anything nice to say about them!

Similar to the SL GF you mean ? , or the NRL GF ? , or lots of other sporting contests around the planet ?

If the Million Pound game wasn't there then defeat at the weekend would be the end of Leigh's season....I'd say the million pound game is quite a clever move by the RFL and I rarely have anything nice to say about them!

Not that clever to set up a winner takes all, we used to have them every year to decide promotion

Similar to the SL GF you mean ? , or the NRL GF ? 

Don't be daft.

The similarity is with the NL1 grand finals.

Remember Leigh 32.v.Whitehaven 16 at Widnes - an 11,000 crowd which promoted Leigh to Superleague??

That year Castleford did not get away with losing 22 matches in SL shipping over 900 points in.

The only difference this year is will 11,000 turn up and will Wakefield be able to get away with it?

Nothing at all clever about the "Million pound" game, nonetheless I'll enjoy it immensely.

If Leigh lose to Wakefield on Saturday, then they know that they must beat Bradford to get another crack at them!

Not sure it's going to work out that simply in the end. Halifax look capable of winning games against anyone. Hull KR might have a post-cup hangover. Leigh's last game is at Widnes, who might already be safe and have nothing to play for.

Not sure it's going to work out that simply in the end. Halifax look capable of winning games against anyone. Hull KR might have a post-cup hangover. Leigh's last game is at Widnes, who might already be safe and have nothing to play for.

Fax won't get anywhere near the million pound game. They are doing well but that's about it they won't beat Leigh. Fax might win 2 at most against the Bulls and the Eagles but even that's a bit optimistic IMO. I think Eagles will finish bottom with fax second bottom. Then it's a toss up between the Bulls and Leigh who get to play the SL team in the million pound game for me.

Archived