middle 8

Once upon a time we were all in this game together!!!

Those days are long gone Keith, the likes of Leeds, Wiggin, Sints and a couple of others wouldn't P on those below them if they were on fire!

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All we ask is a level playing field and refs that dont prefer to let super league teams get all the calls. Silverwood was a disgrace today giving Salford everything. Or is it only the good doctor that can say things like that

C'mon Steve don't use Silverwood as an excuse, there was a big gulf between us, and I am a Leyther.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

All we ask is a level playing field and refs that dont prefer to let super league teams get all the calls. Silverwood was a disgrace today giving Salford everything. Or is it only the good doctor that can say things like that

Give up. He wasn't a disgrace and calls were not only given to Salford

Yes, I know how the voting works but if that isn't possible then it's back to reducing the top 4 clubs amounts in the Championship in order that the majority of the clubs in there can have an fair and equal league competition and not pandering to the SL wannabes!!!

And your ambition for Workington?, or are you just happy with your lot Keith and have no desire to ever be a SL wannabes, if so that's very sad.

Maybe but can you honestly say he didnt help them along

As I said before Steve, leaking 118 points in the last 3 games excluding Dewsbury and Doncaster there is something amiss even a blind man could see.

Young Mr Rowley has been getting massive accolades for his coaching, but when it has come to being tested his defensive attributes are somewhat to be desired, he has taken all the plaudits, and I am sure he will also take the flack, blaming it on the ref doesn't sit square with me.

GaryO, I have every ambition of SL in west Cumbria at some point in the future but probably not in my lifetime but that's another matter.  

We have struggled to compete with several of the top teams this season and we have had plenty of stuffings whcih does not do any good for us getting crowds in and generating income.   However, Jarrod Sammut signed for us about 6 weeks ago until the end of the season and we have won 5 games on the trot since he signed.   We finished in 8th place in the Championship and are currently in a semi-final place in the Shield.   The point of this is that we are told that Sammut was on a salary of around £80k at Wakkefield which is way out of our league on our £150k central funding and we have signed him until the end of the season by kind permission of a club sponsor.   

What happens next year has yet to be decided if we can generate the income/funding to get him with us is still being worked on but that shows the difference in what the teams in the same league can or can't do.    Leigh got Fui Fui and Hock etc to go with an already strong squad and we are scratching about to raise the money for one good SL player.   So, SL for Town would be out of the question unless there is a shift in the way the money is distributed more evenly.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

GaryO, I have every ambition of SL in west Cumbria at some point in the future but probably not in my lifetime but that's another matter.  

We have struggled to compete with several of the top teams this season and we have had plenty of stuffings whcih does not do any good for us getting crowds in and generating income.   However, Jarrod Sammut signed for us about 6 weeks ago until the end of the season and we have won 5 games on the trot since he signed.   We finished in 8th place in the Championship and are currently in a semi-final place in the Shield.   The point of this is that we are told that Sammut was on a salary of around £80k at Wakkefield which is way out of our league on our £150k central funding and we have signed him until the end of the season by kind permission of a club sponsor.   

What happens next year has yet to be decided if we can generate the income/funding to get him with us is still being worked on but that shows the difference in what the teams in the same league can or can't do.    Leigh got Fui Fui and Hock etc to go with an already strong squad and we are scratching about to raise the money for one good SL player.   So, SL for Town would be out of the question unless there is a shift in the way the money is distributed more evenly.

I have much and every sympathy with Workington Keith, but what you are suggesting is forever closing the door on anyone challenging for promotion, you want parity with those at the top of the division you play in, without wanting to sound condescending it has been to easy for Leigh in that division for the last 2 seasons (2 losses in total) I think we are closer to the SL than other teams in the Championship, but I feel exactly as you do that we are not on a financial level funding to compete, end of.

i've no doubt you've not been bothered about a level playing field when thrashing the part timers of Batley,Doncaster et al?

Salford didn't get everything today, Leigh were just outclassed by a team with a bigger budget and better players, a bit like errr... Leigh in the championship!

i have watched the four championship teams in the middle 8 either live or on the box, frankly they are just not good enough to compete with the super league teams. we get all kinds of tub thumping when they win a one off cup tie but lets be honest the top 3 championship clubs were soundly thrashed this weekend, so what does that tell you ??? in reality the gap between the divisions is as wide as the atlantic..............

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

i have watched the four championship teams in the middle 8 either live or on the box, frankly they are just not good enough to compete with the super league teams. we get all kinds of tub thumping when they win a one off cup tie but lets be honest the top 3 championship clubs were soundly thrashed this weekend, so what does that tell you ??? in reality the gap between the divisions is as wide as the atlantic..............

You're rubbish at tipping or a one-eyed biased supporter.  Take your pick.

Yes, I know how the voting works but if that isn't possible then it's back to reducing the top 4 clubs amounts in the Championship in order that the majority of the clubs in there can have an fair and equal league competition and not pandering to the SL wannabes!!!

Ah , there we have it , so SL isn't for the likes of Leigh and other similar clubs ?

Best leave our debate there

I have much and every sympathy with Workington Keith, but what you are suggesting is forever closing the door on anyone challenging for promotion, you want parity with those at the top of the division you play in, without wanting to sound condescending it has been to easy for Leigh in that division for the last 2 seasons (2 losses in total) I think we are closer to the SL than other teams in the Championship, but I feel exactly as you do that we are not on a financial level funding to compete, end of.

It is a problem that requires solving that's for sure.    There has to be system whereby the gap is closed between the SL clubs and the Championship clubs and at the same time more parity in the Championship.    I find it ironic when Leigh fans complain about SL clubs receiving the full salary cap value in central funding whilst they only receive half of the salary cap for the Championship in central funding, but then those same fans can't or wont see that they receive far more than other clubs in the Championship.   They then complain that the competition in the Championship isn't strong enough to condition them for these middle 8 fixtures.

It will only be solved at Chairman/Club Representatives level at the RFL Council meetings but how many would even discuss it?

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Ah , there we have it , so SL isn't for the likes of Leigh and other similar clubs ?

Best leave our debate there

So you are happy that you are where you are at the expense of other clubs who because of the financial gap are unable to test you at Championship level?    Sounds about the sum of it!!!!

Leigh and Bradford claim to be FT. But this weekends results you must ask what exactly do they do with all that time as they have both been outclassed by alleged poor SL teams. On paper Leigh and a lesser extent Bradford should be doing better against Wakefield and Salford than this weekend. Being fulltime doesnt mean you will be so much better and it could be argued that after 2 games the part time team of halifax have put up a better show against SL clubs than Leigh and Bradford have done. 

The other thing is throwing a heap of cash to players to be FT also doesnt mean they will be better players. It may help to bring a player to your club but he also may end up being a waste of money. For example I expect Gareth Hock will be on good money at Leigh but is he actually worth it? And maybe Leigh/Bradford have as much money to spend as Salford/Wakey. But would a player want to sign for Leigh/Bradford in playing against lower opposition each week compared to being in SL and the bigger exposure and better standards that SL has over the Championship? 

There is no such thing as a level playing field as one system will always benefit some teams over others. What needs to be looked at is whats best for the game and not just one or two clubs. Maybe a salary cap based on a percentage of last seasons income would be better. Maybe another system would help Championship teams compete more. But the fact remains any system really will benefit a long established SL team more than a current championship or new SL team even P & R. 

So you are happy that you are where you are at the expense of other clubs who because of the financial gap are unable to test you at Championship level?    Sounds about the sum of it!!!!

You won't find me ever complaining of the disparity between what Leigh have received and what the SL clubs get , also from day 1 I have suggested that we need more central funding filtering down into the Championship for it to remain competitive , ultimately that might require SL and the Championship reducing down to leagues of 10 in each , that most likely would displace Leigh from SL if we are ever fortunate enough to reach it , and quite possibly displacing Workington from the Championship

A clear path from bottom to top is vital for all clubs to continue to grow

You won't find me ever complaining of the disparity between what Leigh have received and what the SL clubs get , also from day 1 I have suggested that we need more central funding filtering down into the Championship for it to remain competitive , ultimately that might require SL and the Championship reducing down to leagues of 10 in each , that most likely would displace Leigh from SL if we are ever fortunate enough to reach it , and quite possibly displacing Workington from the Championship

A clear path from bottom to top is vital for all clubs to continue to grow

I can't disagree with any of that especially the last line. Remember the bottom club isn't in the Championsip it's in League 1.

In fixing the gulf in class problem between Championship and Superleague, it's no good leaving it there.The difference in class is huge between L1-& the Championship too. As the system is at present I can see the top of L1 and the bottom of the Championsip becoming yo yo clubs.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I said when the system was first confirmed. It will only work if there is equal funding throughout the 24 competing teams. There's plenty of water to pass under the bridge yet so there's every chance Leigh or Bradford could get promoted, but longer term if the structure is to prevail the whole funding package needs looking at.

I can't disagree with any of that especially the last line. Remember the bottom club isn't in the Championsip it's in League 1.

In fixing the gulf in class problem between Championship and Superleague, it's no good leaving it there.The difference in class is huge between L1-& the Championship too. As the system is at present I can see the top of L1 and the bottom of the Championsip becoming yo yo clubs.

Fully aware of what bottom to top means , im a bit confused , do you agree or disagree with me ?

I said when the system was first confirmed. It will only work if there is equal funding throughout the 24 competing teams. There's plenty of water to pass under the bridge yet so there's every chance Leigh or Bradford could get promoted, but longer term if the structure is to prevail the whole funding package needs looking at.

Equal funding including the Championship and SL would create too big a gap between the Championship and Championship 1 imo

Wakefield did what they felt gave them the best opportunity for sl rugby next year. It's against the spirit of sport to deliberately underspend and not go all out to go as well as they can but understandable given the scenario presented by the new system.

What really needs addressing is the amount of late signings that were made by multiple clubs.

I agree, The aim surely will be to close the gap next year and then again the year after, ideally by raising the championship standards rather than lowering those of superleague

Won't happen until they all get the same cap and overseas allowance

Thank You for Listening

Derek

Archived