Who's applied for next season

heard donny toll bar maybe 3/4 junior teams, mirfield zero youth teams and sharlston have applied a few teams for next year! foundations made of sand. doncaster sides peak every now and then mirfiled will try and take sides off of thornhill. dewsbury moor, dewsbury celtic, shaw cross, batley etc st joes hudds etc. only one ready for conference rugby!! sorry not one ready for conference rugby 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heard donny toll bar maybe 3/4 junior teams, mirfield zero youth teams and sharlston have applied a few teams for next year! foundations made of sand. doncaster sides peak every now and then mirfiled will try and take sides off of thornhill. dewsbury moor, dewsbury celtic, shaw cross, batley etc st joes hudds etc. only one ready for conference rugby!! sorry not one ready for conference rugby

Midfield haven't applied so don't know where you got your info from

Toll Bar have run junior teams for years and have consistently been one of the best clubs outside the current NCL for a while. They seem to have good foundations. Whether they would be ready for the step up is another question

So you know for sure they haven't been accepted then and I don't think they would be bothered if they tore it up or not getting accepted would be a result I'm sure.

chappy

My club Seaton were mentioned by LE but I can confirm that we havent applied. We have a great youth set up with teams at every age group the only team in Cumbria who had in 2015 and won the last two under 16 leagues in west cumbria so as them players mature it might be an option they want to take up

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

Suzzy,if the NCL committee have rejected Shalstons application as suggested in this weeks League Express the member clubs wont even get to vote. It took our club three attempts before we were accepted what the NCL committee will do is work with Sharlston on the areas that need addressing to ensure they gain acceptance at a later date.

I thought the clubs always got to vote on applications, albeit the NCL managements recommendations usually get backed by the member clubs

some applications don't meet minimum standards so are rejected by management before the clubs get to vote, as billybison says the ncl management work with clubs to help them reach the required standard, and any clubs meeting the criteria are then put forward to the clubs meeting for an acceptance vote.

Thanks everyone for the information im Sure sharlton will work hard with the NCL and do everything possible to try and make it happen

chappy

I wouldnt say toll bar have been one of the best sides outside the conference for a while, they have only just reached the premier division of pennine league this year 1 good season doesn't count as a long time, fair enough they have a good current first team who could probably hold their own in division 3 of conference, how many juinor sides do they currently have? How many youth sides? 

How many of the teams applying have a junior group at every age? more importantly for the sustainability for the clubs applying(and current clubs) how many have a strong youth set-up?

Yes Gordie as said they haven't met it , they've done well this year to get a couple of juniors but it's not good enough when there that young , they will be like drig this year I reckon if they got in

Yes Gordie as said they haven't met it , they've done well this year to get a couple of juniors but it's not good enough when there that young , they will be like drig this year I reckon if they got in

The only thing that saved drig this year was the strength of their junior set up. With the amount of injuries they had early on in the season, the lads that stepped came through their youth ranks allowed them to raise a side. They used 43 different players this year.

Although I would have liked to have seen Sharlston in the NCL on the current form of their 1st team; i do agree that criteria has to be met. Clubs need to be able to ensure they field a full team week in week out and pushing juniors through helps that happen. Hopefully Sharlston can build on the foundations they already have and put together a strong application in the future.

you no some stuff don't ya  for an ex player you seem very intrested in our demise  I  wonder why lol   can I ask why your an ex player you keep naming gordie long ect  so why not say who you are  make your storys more credible   you liken us to drig but arnt they currently 3rd in there league ?  I would say that's not poor tbh or are you saying the other 8 teams below shudnt be in as well then bet your not evn an ex player lol  as say we deserve fair shot at ncl   we worked hard over the years to be good club  and like I say we gave egramont a real good game we were unlucky tbh  not  bad I would say agaist the pemier ncl mid way league team   8i wonder which club you went to after  mmmmmm as say all we want is fairness a crack at the wip like the rest I no lots clubs don't meet the ncl criteria that's why we will appeal  hopffully with success thanks anyway for your input which seems as suzzy sed in erlier posts sour grapes mostly

Didn't say drig was poor I just said ull be same, u work hard to be a good team in a league while other teams was working hard to get into NCL , not saying they don't deserve a fair crack at it cause they do and why can't I mention Gordie? I'm a good mate of gordies and he's put a lot of work in to try and meet the criteria but he knows what he needs as he said it himself , which there hoping to get a 16s or something next season he said, don't understand why I need to say who I am and I play for lions is there a problem with that

I wouldnt say toll bar have been one of the best sides outside the conference for a while, they have only just reached the premier division of pennine league this year 1 good season doesn't count as a long time, fair enough they have a good current first team who could probably hold their own in division 3 of conference, how many juinor sides do they currently have? How many youth sides? 

How many of the teams applying have a junior group at every age? more importantly for the sustainability for the clubs applying(and current clubs) how many have a strong youth set-up?

Toll Bar are a cracking side at the moment and probably achieve to put more team out than most NCL clubs at the moment, I say at the moment because they don't have a history of maintaining a good standard,  it's the likes of Pete Green and Craig Lawton who attracted a lot of players to the club, Craig has had to retire recently and Pete has just received a long term injury, they also have a few Bentley Good Companion players (don't know how many) and they also benefitted from the fall outs at Moorends.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

The only thing that saved drig this year was the strength of their junior set up. With the amount of injuries they had early on in the season, the lads that stepped came through their youth ranks allowed them to raise a side. They used 43 different players this year.

Although I would have liked to have seen Sharlston in the NCL on the current form of their 1st team; i do agree that criteria has to be met. Clubs need to be able to ensure they field a full team week in week out and pushing juniors through helps that happen. Hopefully Sharlston can build on the foundations they already have and put together a strong application in the future.

Drig having to use 43 players tells you something, 1/they have the depth and 2/ Is summer the golden pig.

It's not just about how good your first team is NCL needs well structured clubs in the league. Poaching junior teams from the district will do you no favours. It needs to be organic growth, get that right and I'm sure you'd be welcomed into the league with open arms

If I remember rightly a lot of the established NCL started by poaching junior sides into their club.

Sharlston were/are arguably the best open age amateur side outside of the NCL. However, simply appropriating another junior club doesn't give them an automatic right to conference rugby.

Over the last 15 years they have been a true mercenary side. Bettison, Olpherts, Emblem, Saville and the rest all came from elsewhere. They saw that the club was recruiting strongly and recognised they would win things. And they did. Against Pennine pub/village teams, staffed by volunteers plugging away tirelessly with kids teams. Well done Sharlston.

Take Gordie Long, Lee Lingard and Gaz Davies away and all you have is a bunch of ringers who have disappeared as quickly as they emerged. I'm not surprised the NCL clubs were wary of a club built on such shifty foundations.

Meanwhile, the stalwart junior volunteers at Fev Lions, Normy, Eastmoor and Stanley breathe a sigh of relief.

Recent entrants to the NCL: Kells, Pilks, Drig, Blackbrook, Dews Moor, Thornhill.

All credible setups, from u8 to open age.

Sharlston stick out like a sore thumb.

I believe Gaz went to Sharlston from Crofton many moons ago.

Sharlston were/are arguably the best open age amateur side outside of the NCL. However, simply appropriating another junior club doesn't give them an automatic right to conference rugby.

Over the last 15 years they have been a true mercenary side. Bettison, Olpherts, Emblem, Saville and the rest all came from elsewhere. They saw that the club was recruiting strongly and recognised they would win things. And they did. Against Pennine pub/village teams, staffed by volunteers plugging away tirelessly with kids teams. Well done Sharlston.

Take Gordie Long, Lee Lingard and Gaz Davies away and all you have is a bunch of ringers who have disappeared as quickly as they emerged. I'm not surprised the NCL clubs were wary of a club built on such shifty foundations.

Meanwhile, the stalwart junior volunteers at Fev Lions, Normy, Eastmoor and Stanley breathe a sigh of relief.

Recent entrants to the NCL: Kells, Pilks, Drig, Blackbrook, Dews Moor, Thornhill.

All credible setups, from u8 to open age.

Sharlston stick out like a sore thumb.

I believe Gaz went to Sharlston from Crofton many moons ago.

If I remember rightly a lot of the established NCL started by poaching junior sides into their club.

You'd have to enlighten me on that. I did witness clubs merging (one junior set up plus one open age set up) to compliment each other

What I've heard from the Wakefield clubs was Sharlston approaching individual teams from clubs who already have open age & junior to jump ship. That's the approach I disagree with

Everything is always hearsay lets kick out with I heard

it in the bog doesn't matter if it's true or false it's only Sharlston

chappy

Archived