Kevin Sinfield

JohnM

As far as the article goes I can understand people getting irritated that it had to be done, but I don't get the irritation that it was done.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever happened to "any publicity is good publicity"?

Radio 1 Newsbeat deem Kevin Sinfield and rugby league worthy a mention. All good stuff IMO.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

This is a good article. Why knock it? It is a question many non-rugby followers will have asked. Same as who is Tyson Fury a month or two back.

It reads like a belated rundown of the SPOTY contestants, unused before the night and re-titled to get some use. It is an article that is all. If it was done by some commercial radio station it is understandable but by a broadcast partner, something so simplistic, making use of references to Ryan Giggs as a familiar touch point. It declares that after all the BBC involvement you are most likely never to have heard of the sport or the guy. Not something to get excited about.

It's funny how this year has turned out for Sinny - Is it just me that recalls seeing a shadowy figure leaning over the video ref just as he was about to disallow the McGuire knock on "try" - "I think you'll find that's a try in grander scheme of things..." and the green light came on? Just saying maybe the RFL had a plan for the Battle of Manchester grander and more elaborate than we give them credit for...

It is doesn't require a detailed response. "Who is KS" by the people that brought you his winning 2015 CC campaign in great detail wraps it up nicely. An article, nothing good about it.

I really think we get too sensitive sometimes. If you take something like the Oscars they do a 'who is x' many a time yet some of them have been in loads of mainstream films. We can't deny that the question will be asked by many people having seen him get second place.

I really think we get too sensitive sometimes. If you take something like the Oscars they do a 'who is x' many a time yet some of them have been in loads of mainstream films. We can't deny that the question will be asked by many people having seen him get second place.

RL has to be sensitive as to how it is illustrated, honest about it too! What we can't deny is the BBC asked the question. 

This is a good article. Why knock it? It is a question many non-rugby followers will have asked. Same as who is Tyson Fury a month or two back.

Another way of looking at it is the huge peak in Google searches for the nominees at the start of the programme.

Andy Murray is way ahead. Surely everyone knows who he is?

Sinfield came second with Hamilton a poor third.

It could be that people know who they are and are just looking for details or achievements in previous years. In that regard, filling in the back story for Sinfield is not a bad thing.

Archived