A question about the rules of RL

John Harrison's headed assist for St Helens.

Is this still legal in the RL rulebook? I love the cheekiness!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Outlawed shortly after it happened.

Saints also got the scrum rules changed for being equally unsporting, Oh and the rule about drop goal scoring was changed after the St.Helens favourite Murphy abused it.

They have a lot of form.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Saints also got the scrum rules changed for being equally unsporting, Oh and the rule about drop goal scoring was changed after the St.Helens favourite Murphy abused it.

They have a lot of form.

You haven't mentioned the change from a scrum to a tap after a penalty to touch Dave.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

You haven't mentioned the change from a scrum to a tap after a penalty to touch Dave.

:D  Like I said, they have loads of form.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

They have a lot of form.

What was that...St Helens long tradition of innovation ( in the finest traditions of RL) led to rule changes because other teams simply could follow the awesome standards now being set...... yes you are right there. 

It's an arms race - the coaches and players do what they can to gain an advantage, while the lawmakers have to react to what they see, because they can't foresee everything. It rewards creative thinking, either for a short while or for the long term.

And it's fine by me, as long as the authorities don't just ban every new idea just for the crime of being new. Or allow everything new without due consideration.

That's how Dick Fosbury revolutionised the high jump, after all. He saw a better way to clear the bar (once the sandpit landing had been replaced by mats), so the IAAF looked at it and made a judgement which changed the event forever.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's an arms race - the coaches and players do what they can to gain an advantage, while the lawmakers have to react to what they see, because they can't foresee everything. It rewards creative thinking, either for a short while or for the long term.

And it's fine by me, as long as the authorities don't just ban every new idea just for the crime of being new. Or allow everything new without due consideration.

That's how Dick Fosbury revolutionised the high jump, after all. He saw a better way to clear the bar (once the sandpit landing had been replaced by mats), so the IAAF looked at it and made a judgement which changed the event forever.

Fosbury made sure that he practiced out of site of the authorities and caught them cold, if they had known what he was going to do they would probably have banned it. They did just that when in the early seventies a couple of long jumpers toyed with the idea of somersaulting to gain an advantage.

By the way,the game is supposed to be played in the spirit of the laws as well as within the laws, Saints shenanigans were all outside of the spirit of the laws so therefore unlawful.  :onthequiet:

Fosbury made sure that he practiced out of site of the authorities and caught them cold, if they had known what he was going to do they would probably have banned it. They did just that when in the early seventies a couple of long jumpers toyed with the idea of somersaulting to gain an advantage.

By the way,the game is supposed to be played in the spirit of the laws as well as within the laws, Saints shenanigans were all outside of the spirit of the laws so therefore unlawful.  :onthequiet:

Well within the spirit of the game and the laws. Any team should play to the whistle no matter what is happening and it is an innovative move in the best traditions of RL. St Helens do it again which is why we are talking about them.

Does that mean rangi chase cant pass it behind his back anymore as 'its not a proper pass and not in the spirit of the game'

Ankle taps don't live up to the 'big collisions' and is a step up from tripping with foot so ban that too!!

Also kicking early in the tackle count should be outlawed you may catch someone out of position! !!

Good to see the old Ed I Tackle tactics work after all these years.

Archived