Wigan Game

andyram

I like Morro's positive "spin", but it will not change things; defeat is a forgone conclusion.

Dewsbury 6-62 Wigan

FTS: Sykes

MoM: Teanby

At: 2202

I think Jack will relish playing against the "big boys".

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Best of luck to Glen and the lads today.

I hope Donald k.gets a game on the wing .

He looked a good prospect the one game i saw him play for the seconds. 

Reckon the culprits responsible for last week's debacle will have been "put on report" by GM rather than "yellow carded" - I will be surprised if anybody has actually been dropped.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Reckon the culprits responsible for last week's debacle will have been "put on report" by GM rather than "yellow carded" - I will be surprised if anybody has actually been dropped.

Got to agree,they'll have been put on naughty step again,well after last week it would have to be a big step.

No complaints from me today about our performance. We had a patched up side against a very fast, speedy side on a red hot day. I was fearing the worst at one point, but the scoreline was about right.

Well done lads.

Embarrassing first half, but the lads showed great spirit in the second half. Plaudits to Sykes (our only class player) Faz who never stopped trying, Tearnby, who could become a Gary Cocks style favourite, and Grant, who held his own against a future international. A sympathetic word for young Donald, who maybe should be nicknamed Custer - where the hell was the rest of the defence down that side in the first half. Maybe the reason that Grady and caine never made it in SL was because of their very shaky defence. Hope we can kick on from that second half performance next week. A question - why are Trout and Walker even in the mix ?

What has Kenga done wrong ? Big match next week.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Thanks to all the thousands of  Wigan fans who came today,great effort from them.

They had some top players out there.and our lads did all right.

Young Donald k put himself about-well done .

But as paul sykes said after, we still do some really dumb stuff at times.

I really thought our second half effort, much of it without the ball, was a great step up from last week's terrible showing. We must have defended around five consecutive sets in that period and Wigan failed to score.

It was probably obvious to us all that they would test Kudingarina, but he did what he could, on his own, in that first twenty minutes of the game and settled down. He looks to have a future if he is given an opportunity. According to Morrison, he came to us from Sheffield's second team.

As most have commented, Sykes, Farrell, Grant and TeanbyJack stood out for us. I was a bit disappointed with Josh Guzdek's defence; it doesn't seem to be improving. On attack he very good and wonder if centre might be a position for him.

I was most pleased with the lads' overall effort today and would like to the think it was the stepping stone to an improved second half of the season.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Well we should have made a bit of money from the bars etc. as it was a better attendance than I expected - almost as many as Castleford raised yesterday in fact - although I had the distinct impression that a lot of Dewsbury regulars had taken the day off. Shame, but understandable.

It was a so-so showing. We can claim to have tightened up in the second half, or did Wigan just get bored with scoring tries down one side so tried to mix it up a bit by going the other way? The gulf was enormous and, whilst understandable due to quality, FT, budgets etc, there should have been lessons to learn for our players:

How to tie up the ball in the tackle.

How to perform at marker half (we have been pathetic here all season).

What line speed means.

How to slide and support your team-mates when defending.

Etc.

There were some decent spirited performances by individuals as mentioned before. What we desperately need, beginning next week, is a proper team performance rather than individual highlights. Lets just hope that we see that, or we face really difficult times.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Embarrassing first half, but the lads showed great spirit in the second half. Plaudits to Sykes (our only class player) Faz who never stopped trying, Tearnby, who could become a Gary Cocks style favourite, and Grant, who held his own against a future international. A sympathetic word for young Donald, who maybe should be nicknamed Custer - where the hell was the rest of the defence down that side in the first half. Maybe the reason that Grady and caine never made it in SL was because of their very shaky defence. Hope we can kick on from that second half performance next week. A question - why are Trout and Walker even in the mix ?

What has Kenga done wrong ? Big match next week.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. We are desperately short in the forwards and are conceding loads of weight week in week out, yet we have a big lad in the A team who makes a nuisance of himself and looks to have really fined down and got properly fit this season, so why not give him a run, especially in a game that we were never going to win. Surely it would be better than sending out Johnny Walker on one leg to amble around behind the rest of the team for 20 minutes.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Give byron 20 £ smith a bell

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

I actually thought Dewsbury were very poor with the ball. Constantly turning over possession very cheaply and also allowing Wigan to offload when they had the ball. Only having two props doesn't help either, although the injury situation is bad. Dewsbury did tighten up later in the game, which gave a better looking score line. Good day to be out though. Plenty of drink consumed. The club is a winner on this front. Bigger things ahead though, as we seek to avoid relegation.

Re watch Paul Sykes try by clicking here

Thanks cableguy. Looking at the video, we didn't exactly get the rub of the forward passes did we ? The one pulled up for the Sykes break was a damned sight flatter than some of those that led to Wigan tries.

George Bernard Shaw.

Thanks cableguy. Looking at the video, we didn't exactly get the rub of the forward passes did we ? The one pulled up for the Sykes break was a damned sight flatter than some of those that led to Wigan tries.

Hmm, maybe. The video doesn't show all of the forward passes against Wigan that they were pulled up for does it? At least two were flat or back and would have resulted in tries so let's not get too victimised about referees again shall we?

Hmm, maybe. The video doesn't show all of the forward passes against Wigan that they were pulled up for does it? At least two were flat or back and would have resulted in tries so let's not get too victimised about referees again shall we?

Think you know by now that I am not one to have a go at the ref - even if they deserve it. The bottom line for me though, is that SL has a track record of allowing dubious "flat passes" and "momentum" that would embarrass the kick and clap game. I suspect that if Wigan had been playing Saints there would have been more blind eyes turning than at a long john silver impersonators convention. Looking at the video though, however many times Wigan were pulled up for a forward pass, they still seemed to benefit from a few.

George Bernard Shaw.

Archived