England Selection Policy

The problem seems to be money - because the top sides pay players and they get treated better.

Can we stop them being paid money for international representation by the nations, and instead set aside some of the league sponsorship money for clubs.

They could then give it to clubs for players who play internationally for any country, with a cap on the total money each club can receive to balance it out.

Positives:

Motivates clubs to encourage players to represent at international level as they will get extra money.

Encourages clubs to sign players who will represent at international level as they will get extra money.

Encourages players to play for whichever nation they are eligible for and feel most attached to, as there is no other financial reward other than their club paying them more to attract them to the club in the first place.

More likely international talent will be spread evenly throughout the clubs.

I don't know whether this is the finished article, but encourage everyone to constructively look at it and develop it or give other ideas to form something we might all be happy with.

Are you Australian?

He has lived in Australia for four years.

As a 19 year old he played in the Holden Cup before playing for feeder Club Wentworthville Leagues then Parramatta.

Plenty of Oz Schoolboy players have decided to play for other Nations.

What do you suggest the eligibility should be?

You quoted earlier "Players like Radradra have made a permanent move to Australia."

No he hasn't. He came here as a signed professional RL player and I am sure if the money was good enough he could be off to NZ, France, the UK or anywhere that would have him.

You don't know his intentions any more than I do. If the Warriors had scouted him at 19 he may well have wanted to put his hand up for NZ. He is a sportsman who was looking for a gig in a professional sport not some kind of wannabe Aussie.

I dont think we should choose anyone who has played for another nation, but im more relaxed about grandparent and residency rules.

Im not a massive fan of the fact that Ben Currie played for Ireland v England in 2013 yet could play for England v Ireland in 2017.

That said, other sports dont worry about it, cricket, ru and athletics in particular have few issues around taking advantage of eligibility rules.

Eoin Morgan played for Ireland for 7 years before playing for England and is now captain of England.

England RU have used plenty of overseas players, including Henry Paul and Lesley Vainokolo.

And so on.

Maybe we should just be a touch more accepting and enjoy the games.

Yes the real point here is other sports don't worry about this so why do we spend so much time talking about it.

My first thoughts when I read the thread title was "Do we have a policy?" and shouldn't the policy just be pick the ones in form no matter which side of the world they're playing?

The Semi issue hasn't helped this debate one bit. Too much was read into the WCC results. And SOO is what keeps the Assies on top which is why they won't let anyone else in. And all this provides too many questions to answer in anything but long term strategies and keeping to them.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Yes the real point here is other sports don't worry about this so why do we spend so much time talking about it.

My first thoughts when I read the thread title was "Do we have a policy?" and shouldn't the policy just be pick the ones in form no matter which side of the world they're playing?

The Semi issue hasn't helped this debate one bit. Too much was read into the WCC results. And SOO is what keeps the Assies on top which is why they won't let anyone else in. And all this provides too many questions to answer in anything but long term strategies and keeping to them.

rl fans always bang on about journos bashing our game as a farce etc. yet it just hasnt happened during world cups where we have had teams of aussies represebting the likes of italy. The biggest criticisms have come from within. Over and over again.

Livong in Scotland, the coverage was very positive about the Scotland team (albeit limited, naturally) whilst they refer to it, they accept that rl is an emerging game in most countries and that world sport is different nowadays.

The biggest criticisms have come from within. Over and over again.

I'm shocked at you suggesting such a thing, Dave, whatever next?

Given the dire performances of the super league based england players,with a couple of exceptions (gale & shaul),would anyone blame bennett for looking at other "australian" options!

Its about time some englishmen stood up!

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Given the dire performances of the super league based england players,with a couple of exceptions (gale & shaul),would anyone blame bennett for looking at other "australian" options!

Its about time some englishmen stood up!

Shaul is the best fullback this season but rest assured Tomkins is going to get selected along with Williams.

Can't wait to see Hall and Watkins selected, too. 

God saves you, guys. 

Shaul is the best fullback this season but rest assured Tomkins is going to get selected along with Williams.

Can't wait to see Hall and Watkins selected, too. 

God saves you, guys. 

It could be a lot worse,we could have a squad who all get mysteriously injured just before an international. ;)

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

You don't know his intentions any more than I do.

Scubby I thought you knew and I'm sorry to be the one to tell you but this forum is a magnet for empaths and mindreaders they can see hidden information where others are left clueless and searching for an answer. You are posting on the forum equivalent of the Twighlight Zone. It's only because you can't see the large bulbous heads or view their real names that you didn't realise this was the case. Think Dan Dare's Mekon and you'll be at peace with their abilities and posts! If they were picking the England team we would enter a golden dominant period!

Archived