Heathrow airport expansion gets government approval

Given Labour were expected to win the last election and they were in favour of the expansion plans surely the guy was pretty foolish to move there thinking they would never happen (or at least come back on the table as an option).

I'm not sure Labour were expected to win, were they? It was called the most unpredictable General Election in a generation. Even so, the bloke said he voted Tory, and the Tories won, so he has a right to feel a bit naffed off that they campaigned against a third runway and then approved it.

A bit like Lib Dem voters got a bit naffed off when the Lib Dems campaigned to abolish tuition fees and then voted to triple them.

People get angry about that sort of thing.

Like you, I suppose, would get angry if the government decided Brexit didn't mean Brexit, after all.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. The Lib Dems have always been pro Europe, integrity and credibility demands they remain so. The fack Goldsmith was a hard brexit man when push came to shove makes it a pretty important issue.

Thanks for your reply. I can see your point which will probably be popular in that particular constituency.

However, we have had the Referendum now and I am not sure it would show integrity trying to get elected on that ticket. Anyway it will be interesting to see.

I think as John alludes to, the u turn on the tuition fees will take a long time to forget.

The Lib dems will go for the seat big time.  Its a strong remain area.   

They are running on a anti-Brexit ticket. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37779423

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Thanks for your reply. I can see your point which will probably be popular in that particular constituency.

However, we have had the Referendum now and I am not sure it would show integrity trying to get elected on that ticket. Anyway it will be interesting to see.

I think as John alludes to, the u turn on the tuition fees will take a long time to forget.

I don't deny the change in direction on tuition fees will take a long time to forget, just like the conservative promise for no 3rd runway made in the same election campaign.

If Europe is an issue you would have to say that whoever is elected has a newer mandate than the referendum (the othe 600 and odd wouldn't )

Yesterday I saw the polling for this constituency and its standing like this :

GOLDSMITH (Ind) 56% (down 2 from the Con share in 2015)
OLNEY (Lib Dem) 29% (up 10 from the LD share in 2015)
LABOUR 10% (-2)
OTHER 5% (-5)

As I suggested earlier its looking like a pointless waste of money an easy win for Goldsmith especially now he has been endorsed by both UKIP and the Conservatives. I had expressed some surprise about them not fielding a candidate earlier in the thread (interesting the polling still shows a Goldsmith win even if the Conservatives fielded a candidate) but a friend of mine pointed out something I didn't know. Goldsmith is of course married to a Rothschild so yes the Conservatives aren't going to stand in his way especially if he votes with them for everything except Heathrow.

I will continue to smirk at him being down as an independent. Here's a link to the Richmond Park Conservative Association

http://www.rpnk.co.uk/

Still leading with the banner "Supporting Zac Goldsmith..."

• 1 year later...

SNP will abstain on the vote.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Oops, sorry, thought I was on a RL forum. Mea Culpa.

Archived