Heathrow airport expansion gets government approval

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goldsmith will stand as an independent and the Tories won't put up a candidate to oppose him. He'll then vote with the government on all but Heathrow and then no doubt quietly re-join the Tories at the next election. What a waste of a by-election that would be.

That's pretty much what will happen I reckon. Goldsmith will stand as an Independent 'Tory' allowing him to oppose them on Heathrow but back them on everything else. You can bet the Tories will already have done a deal with him.

Still being a Tory he will still pick up their core vote whilst also getting a big support from the local airport opposition groups.

Can't see anything other than a big Goldsmith victory in this one.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

That's pretty much what will happen I reckon. Goldsmith will stand as an Independent 'Tory' allowing him to oppose them on Heathrow but back them on everything else. You can bet the Tories will already have done a deal with him.

Still being a Tory he will still pick up their core vote whilst also getting a big support from the local airport opposition groups.

Can't see anything other than a big Goldsmith victory in this one.

I agree. This is the first time since 1962 that a ruling Conservative party hasn't contested one of its own seats (and that was a pretty singular instance in itself).

It certainly shows that the conservatives are a little nervous, but I still see a conservative win (with a narrower majority). The only doubts for Goldsmith are, his mayoral campaign was not seen favorably locally (thats anecdotal so take with a pinch of salt) and his support for brexit in what was a strong remain area.

What would really put the cat among the pigeons is if labour said they wouldn't field a candidate.

With the Tories not contesting it would make sense for Labour to also step aside and leave the opposition to Goldsmith up to the Lib Dems who would then stand a chance if they concentrate on an anti Heathrow expansion/anti Brexit platform.

Edit to add:

The Lib Dems got a swing of just over 25% to come second in Whitney last week; they would only need a 17% swing to unseat Goldsmith.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Makes you wonder why anyone would have moved to the threatened area any time in the last 30 years. I'd have thought there was always a risk of expansion.

Just get on with it...and pay decent compensation.

Maybe this had something to do with their decision...

2010 Tory election promise. It was in their manifesto, and the Coalition agreement. Theresa May was against it too, back then. More fool anyone who took any of them at their word, obviously.

image1.jpg

I would have thought that supporters of any party would treat the promises of their own party as gospel. All parties have proven track records in not meeting promises. There can be a number of reasons.

1. Expediency

2. Opportunism

3. Realism.

4. Doing the right thing.

In your experience, how would you rank your party?

I would have thought that supporters of any party would treat the promises of their own party as gospel. All parties have proven track records in not meeting promises. There can be a number of reasons.

1. Expediency

2. Opportunism

3. Realism.

4. Doing the right thing.

In your experience, how would you rank your party?

I'm not making a party political point here, John, just answering your question as to why some people might have moved into the area despite it being next to a big airport that looks ripe for expansion. There was a bloke on the telly last night saying he'd moved there after the government promised there would be no third runway. Politicians lie, but people still believe them, and then they feel betrayed.

My party is an absolute unelectable shambles. I think I've made my views on that clear enough on the forum, over and over again. I'm not a blind Labour apologist.

As my opening post illustrated, I'm not criticising the government for making this decision. I don't think they have a genuine alternative. But they probably knew that when they were busy parading their opposition to it in order to grub for votes, and that does make them a bunch of steaming hypocrites.

I'm not making a party political point here, John, just answering your question as to why some people might have moved into the area despite it being next to a big airport that looks ripe for expansion. There was a bloke on the telly last night saying he'd moved there after the government promised there would be no third runway. Politicians lie, but people still believe them, and then they feel betrayed.

My party is an absolute unelectable shambles. I think I've made my views on that clear enough on the forum, over and over again. I'm not a blind Labour apologist.

As my opening post illustrated, I'm not criticising the government for making this decision. I don't think they have a genuine alternative. But they probably knew that when they were busy parading their opposition to it in order to grub for votes, and that does make them a bunch of steaming hypocrites.

How stupid was that bloke then. Do you think he realises governments change, leaders change, and therefore so do priorities.

Given Heathrow expansion has been a possibility for decades only a fool would take a political statement at its word

Understand your point. Hypocrites in Parliament? Surely not!

Understand your point. Hypocrites in Parliament? Surely not!

Place is full of 'em on all sides. Problem is not all down to them, though, if we're honest.

We get the politicians we deserve. We demand they tell the truth, but if they did, we'd never vote for them! ;)

How stupid was that bloke then. Do you think he realises governments change, leaders change, and therefore so do priorities.

Given Heathrow expansion has been a possibility for decades only a fool would take a political statement at its word

He was misled. That doesn't make him stupid.

Lots of people were misled by promises of '£350 million per week for the NHS' earlier this year that's never going to materialise. Are they all stupid too?

I love the way the Tories have pressed the self destruced button on this.

I hope Labour can exploit this

If today's PMQs is anything to go by then they can't. Not a word on it from the Dear Leader. :angry:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

It had to be done , it's been a football kicked about for the last 25 years. I'd read it was the first new runway built since the war. I thought thy might have said yes to second at Gatwick as well just to get it out of the way. Suppose to be open by 2025 let's see.

Manchester opened its second runway in 2001

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Labour will definitely be fielding a candidate. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/richmond-park-by-election-zac-goldsmith-labour-candidate-progressive-alliance-lisa-nandy-clive-lewis_uk_5810862ee4b0b5cce2cb1e22?utm_hp_ref=uk

Which overall is good, and while I understand the reason they haven't I do think the Conservatives should field someone too even if they didn't promote them. Resigning from the party should have its consequences.

As should wasting public money triggering and expensive by-election.

I think the Liberals will be making a mistake if they make Brexit an issue. I know they are anti the runway also but they need to win credibility and integrity back.

We know the constituency wanted to remain so it won't tell us anything new.

He was misled. That doesn't make him stupid.

Lots of people were misled by promises of '£350 million per week for the NHS' earlier this year that's never going to materialise. Are they all stupid too?

Given Labour were expected to win the last election and they were in favour of the expansion plans surely the guy was pretty foolish to move there thinking they would never happen (or at least come back on the table as an option).

I think the Liberals will be making a mistake if they make Brexit an issue. I know they are anti the runway also but they need to win credibility and integrity back.

We know the constituency wanted to remain so it won't tell us anything new.

I disagree. The Lib Dems have always been pro Europe, integrity and credibility demands they remain so. The fack Goldsmith was a hard brexit man when push came to shove makes it a pretty important issue.

I love the way the Tories have pressed the self destruced button on this.

I hope Labour can exploit this

Given Labour were in favour of a Heathrow expansion, I doubt it.

If they now change their view like the Tories they'll just been seen as opportunistic and cynical.

In this case Labour are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

At least Goldsmith has stuck by his principals on this one and I think that will earn him a lot of respect amongst the local voters.

Archived