I thought I'd start a general thread to complement the tipping threads. I'd love to do that but unfortunately I'm terrible at keeping things up!

The first week was really good and the stand out performance was probably the Cowboys vs the Giants. 

As a Jets fan, this morning was certainly a bittersweet victory. Rodgers is out for the season and possibly forever after just 4 snaps. Not only is it gutting, but it's pretty embarrassing too after the off-season hype.

Beating the Bill's can never be scoffed at, but I didn't see anything to suggest that Wilson has made leaps and bounds over the off-season.

42 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I thought I'd start a general thread to complement the tipping threads. I'd love to do that but unfortunately I'm terrible at keeping things up!

The first week was really good and the stand out performance was probably the Cowboys vs the Giants. 

As a Jets fan, this morning was certainly a bittersweet victory. Rodgers is out for the season and possibly forever after just 4 snaps. Not only is it gutting, but it's pretty embarrassing too after the off-season hype.

Beating the Bill's can never be scoffed at, but I didn't see anything to suggest that Wilson has made leaps and bounds over the off-season.

Telephone call to Brady😀

Jets have a lot of talent, best team since Ken O'Brien was quarterback all those years ago.

Personally believe the AFC is absolutely stacked compared to the  NFC. I think 49ers will walk the NFC. Purdy virtually on minimum wage so they can invest in other areas of the team tho would love Detroit to make the Superbowl.

Prediction for this week Jaguars to defeat Mahomes and his Chiefs.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

I don’t think anything can be more ‘Jets’ sadly than finally landing a top QB in a league where that position has never been more vital to your success.

Then to have him suffer a season ending and possibly career ending injury in the first quarter of his first game for you!

I think the Eagles and Cowboys will be very competitive in the NFC, but it’s very early days and others could emerge.

Thought the Jags-Colts match produced a very weird moment whereby everyone stopped as a strip sack/‘incomplete pass’/not playing to the whistle double fumble occurred which led to a defensive touchdown. 

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I don’t think anything can be more ‘Jets’ sadly than finally landing a top QB in a league where that position has never been more vital to your success.

Then to have him suffer a season ending and possibly career ending injury in the first quarter of his first game for you!

I think the Eagles and Cowboys will be very competitive in the NFC, but it’s very early days and others could emerge.

Thought the Jags-Colts match produced a very weird moment whereby everyone stopped as a strip sack/‘incomplete pass’/not playing to the whistle double fumble occurred which led to a defensive touchdown. 

I really hoped it was just a strain or something.

The Jets did well to win but there was one point where Wilson literally ran back about 30 yards before finally throwing it into touch. Was enough to convince me he won't have some magical heroic leap-forward to rescue the Jets from this disaster.

I watched the Bears game first and they seem to have a similar problem at QB, with someone who is afraid to let go of the ball almost. The Packers on the other hand seemed to look OK in their post-Rodgers era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

From what i am led to believe on GMFB monday. In a college game once the player had "gathered" the ball from his quarterback strip sack then the play would have been over without the need to go to ground. Rookie Error.

• Like 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Apparently No team has ever lost the first two and gone on to the Super Bowl.  a bit of early season pressure for a few teams with ambitions.  

I think the chiefs, chargers, New England and the rams might be fearing that stat by the end of the day.

16 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Apparently No team has ever lost the first two and gone on to the Super Bowl.  a bit of early season pressure for a few teams with ambitions.  

I think the chiefs, chargers, New England and the rams might be fearing that stat by the end of the day.

1993 Cowboys, 2001 Patriots, 2007 Giants all won the Superbowl starting 0-2.

Rams won their opener last week.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, redsi42 said:

Whilst teams might have won it from 0-2, apparently only 13% of teams make the playoffs from that point. 

Not a great stat for the Vikings.

It goes down to 3% for 0-3. 

The Athletic have reminded me that Washington have started a season 2-0 for the first time since 2011(!) and hadn’t scored 35 point in a game since 2019(!!)

It was some comeback they completed against Denver from 21-3 down.

Just a pity we’re in the same division as the Cowboys and Eagles who are both loaded with talent this year.

In another Super Bowl from our glory period rematch we entertain the Bills next week at FedEx field.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The Athletic have reminded me that Washington have started a season 2-0 for the first time since 2011(!) and hadn’t scored 35 point in a game since 2019(!!)

Just a pity we’re in the same division as the Cowboys and Eagles who are both loaded with talent this year.

In another Super Bowl from our glory period rematch we entertain the Bills next week at FedEx field.

The Cowboys looked very good last night.

• Like 1

Nick Chubb, probably in the top five running backs, out for the season after aserious knee injury last night. The TV producers wouldn't show the state of his knee and he left on a cart. He's out for the seasonI wish him all the best for his recovery.

Bad day for the Browns, who should have won.  De Shaun Watson capped a  pretty much rubbish performance by gifting  Pittsburgh their winning touchdown.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 18/09/2023 at 12:44, Gerrumonside ref said:

Looking at our fixture list after today’s sorry rout by the Bills, it is going to be a long old season for Washington fans.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Looking at our fixture list after today’s sorry rout by the Bills, it is going to be a long old season for Washington fans.

Could be worse. You could be a Jets fan. In the history of Hard Knocks the featured team has never played a home play-off  game. That record will be continued this year. Jets won't even play an away play-off game😂

• Haha 1

This week's trivial fact. The Bengals just like last year started the season 0-2. No team has ever started consecutive seasons 0-2 and made the play-offs.

• Thanks 1

On 24/09/2023 at 21:36, Irish Saint said:

Could be worse. You could be a Jets fan. In the history of Hard Knocks the featured team has never played a home play-off  game. That record will be continued this year. Jets won't even play an away play-off game😂

Judging by the start, the Jets are going to end very similar to last year. 6-11 or 7-10 I reckon.

I think my favourite Jets team era was definitely the team of the mid 80s with players like QB Ken O’Brien, RB Freeman McNeil and WR Al Toon.

They also had pro bowl defensive end Mark Gastineau.

It was definitely the best balanced Jets team in my lifetime, although of course Joe Namath lead a Super Bowl winning team previously.

Going back to that 1980s Jets team they were unlucky really to emerge at the same time as Dan Marino’s Dolphins and also the Patriots of that era.

• Like 1