Lets face it

Blue Pike

To be fair it's not just Sky, BT pump millions into Union. Not sure why either of the codes would want to combine to be honest.

i don't think they will combine, i think union will absorb the top league clubs.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we really care??? I suspect the majority of folk on here would always put club before country, and I suspect it's the same with most clubs? I've been to very few international matches over the years I've been watching the game, most of them when Fev players were involved, ie pre-1996. The last time I went was against the Kiwis last year when tickets could be bought as Christmas presents in December 2014, but I don't think the 2016 4 Nations Tickets were available for last Christmas?

Clubs' self-interest always come first, and quite frankly I would rather see Rovers do well than the game expand to be as big as Union as a national and international force.

If the RFL wanted to do anything they could, such as handing out loads of international tickets in lieu of a small proportion of central funding money, saying each club has to sell them, even if at a loss. Major Internationals would then be a sell-out, which would help sell TV contracts and the central funding would increase, so in the end clubs would be no worse off. But I doubt if they would do it because the big clubs run the game and they wouldn't take a cut in the Sky money. 

This has turned into a very confused thread. We now seem to be debating (all on the same thread):

1. How good England RU are. Not that good at all, but better than the other 6N dross and apparently the Aussies too. Bombed at the WC.

2. The two sports will become one. Maybe. No signs of that for the past 125 years, but you never know.

3. RL isn't played in as many schools as RL. See my point on which sport has more influence on the establishment and this seems very obvious.

4. Union is easier to play as an old bloke. Undoubtedly.

So, international RU is much bigger than international RL but if we ask ourselves why this is, it is nothing at all to do with how easy Union is to play as an old man or how convivial the clubhouse is after a game. These things would make it a popular participation sport beyond the reach of RL which requires much more skill and athletic prowess.

However, this does not translate into sell out crowds for internationals. For that, you need decades of unquestionably supportive TV & newspapers covering your sport, you need generous sponsorship packages from blue chip companies, you need to carry out a rugby Apartheid unchallanged by politicians and sports administrators. That's why Union fills Twickers.

This has turned into a very confused thread. We now seem to be debating (all on the same thread):

1. How good England RU are. Not that good at all, but better than the other 6N dross and apparently the Aussies too. Bombed at the WC.

2. The two sports will become one. Maybe. No signs of that for the past 125 years, but you never know.

3. RL isn't played in as many schools as RL. See my point on which sport has more influence on the establishment and this seems very obvious.

4. Union is easier to play as an old bloke. Undoubtedly.

So, international RU is much bigger than international RL but if we ask ourselves why this is, it is nothing at all to do with how easy Union is to play as an old man or how convivial the clubhouse is after a game. These things would make it a popular participation sport beyond the reach of RL which requires much more skill and athletic prowess.

However, this does not translate into sell out crowds for internationals. For that, you need decades of unquestionably supportive TV & newspapers covering your sport, you need generous sponsorship packages from blue chip companies, you need to carry out a rugby Apartheid unchallanged by politicians and sports administrators. That's why Union fills Twickers.

Unfortunately most League fans (and I include myself) believe that our game is infinitely superior to all others, particularly the other variants of 'football'. Clearly, the vast majority of the population do not hold the same view and IMHO until this is accepted our game in the UK will never grow and expand.

It is all down to successful marketing. If you don't know about a product and its merits then you don't buy it. Brainwash kids from an early age and you have them for life. Our product is not marketed properly, we don't have media or newspaper support so until that changes forget expansion and concentrate on improving the game in the areas it is in. Cas's recent problems with the RU show that they regard us as of no consequence. One hopes the law is upheld and they get a fair hearing. If the hearing goes against them then we have very serious consequences to face. Contracts will mean nothing.

Unfortunately most League fans (and I include myself) believe that our game is infinitely superior to all others, particularly the other variants of 'football'. Clearly, the vast majority of the population do not hold the same view and IMHO until this is accepted our game in the UK will never grow and expand.

You're right. I understand that. Each person likes what they like. And fair play to them. Quite a lot of folk like both league and union, odd as that feels to me. No worries.

However, the idea that Union dominates in the hearts and minds of rugby liking folk in the UK is nothing much to do with them seeing Union & League and then deciding they prefer union. If that was the case so be it.

And it's really not much to do with a lack of marketing nous from the current RFL compared to the current RFU. You play the hands you're dealt with, and the RFU enjoy massive historical advantages.

These advantages have been gained by fair but often foul means over 125 years. That's my point. Not that folk aren't entitled to watch whatever sport floats their boat. Or that RFL aren't incompetent anyway, or that the craic in Union clubhouses is better than League's.

Ive got a deep dislike for Cas but I hope they win their court case against Solimona ,his Agent and Sale r.u.f.c who shiw complete disrespect over legal contract and disregard of r l itself.I believe that they are representing all of us and sports far a field.Good luck hope you win.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't do to generalise though. London Welsh are going down the drain. They have no assets except players and most of them have gone. They owe around £10 million quid and whilst being operative their wage bill was £1.7 million. There is a cry for smaller clubs to be amateur again and this comes from the executive of London Welsh who says that other clubs are in difficulties. So not just us then as poor operatives at the top.  

Archived