12 Mar: SL: Widnes Vikings v Castleford Tigers KO 3pm

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Lovely quick hands all day from Cas on the left side , they constantly flicked the pass from Shenton to Eden with barely a touch . Class act. They remind me very much at the moment of the great Widnes team of the late 80's , you just know they are going to tear you apart at some point, it is just when.

BTW Widnes were very poor , defended gamely particularly early on but with the ball in hand , oh so pedestrian.

Going to be a long season , I look at the squad and really cannot see where any improvement will come from . Even Betts will have to start looking over his shoulder soon.

8 minutes ago, Colly said:

Going to be a long season , I look at the squad and really cannot see where any improvement will come from . Even Betts will have to start looking over his shoulder soon.

Having a halfback on the pitch will make a difference. Having two would be even better. Realistically, the 2017 season for Widnes starts when Mellor returns,  probably too late to avoid the middle eight.

Widnes have gone backwards from the average form of the second half of last season - putting to one side the halfback injuries, we are poor in the centres and lightweight in the back row. If Betts thinks this squad can make the top 8, he's deluded

Cas played some good stuff and really picked up the speed of play for the tries. I enjoyed watching em (kind of) and they sent plenty of fans for a long trip. I hope they can upset some of the top teams

Was thinking of going to Hull on Friday, but not sure now.....erm.....

13 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Widnes have gone backwards from the average form of the second half of last season - putting to one side the halfback injuries, we are poor in the centres and lightweight in the back row. If Betts thinks this squad can make the top 8, he's deluded

Playing with Danny Craven at scrum-half - an out of position player who was told he could leave last year, only neither Halifax nor London eventually gave him a contract. Fair play to him, he's obviously worked hard over the winter, made the most of his opportunity and doesn't look out of place, but he's not the same as Kev Brown. Likewise Chris Bridge at stand-off, he's played 17 seasons of SL in other positions.

You could blame Betts for not signing another half-back over the close season, but it's hardly his fault that none of the halfbacks in the squad made it past the first week.

14 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Cas played some good stuff and really picked up the speed of play for the tries. I enjoyed watching em (kind of) and they sent plenty of fans for a long trip. I hope they can upset some of the top teams

Yes, some really special tries from Cas and great to see a couple of thousand away fans. I think Cas are one of the top teams right now.

16 hours ago, JonM said:

Having a halfback on the pitch will make a difference. Having two would be even better. Realistically, the 2017 season for Widnes starts when Mellor returns,  probably too late to avoid the middle eight.

And we will loose another for the next few weeks when Craven gets his ban ?

Convention seems to indicate that for a successful Superleague team you need combinations of size, power, guile, ability and pace.

Widnes seem to be going against convention by putting out sides containing none of the above.

Convention seems to have the upper hand at the moment but time will tell if we are on to something.

Cas were very good yesterday and their following looked around the 2,000 mark from were I was sat.

Bet they hanker after the Ian Millward days, not.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

2 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Convention seems to indicate that for a successful Superleague team you need combinations of size, power, guile, ability and pace.

Widnes seem to be going against convention by putting out sides containing none of the above.

lol

Archived