Sheffield away.

Logic

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Yed17 said:

I'm not really sure how involved he was. Did he even show up at training? He was seen briefly on match days. 

I think the point being is that when they weren't being berated from the sidelines , they seemed to play with more freedom. Might be coincidence, might not

7 minutes ago, howardm1978 said:

I think the point being is that when they weren't being berated from the sidelines , they seemed to play with more freedom. Might be coincidence, might not

Scott is hardly ever on the sidelines. Spanner was getting more frustrated with officials than players. Pete Carey was on the touchline and still is. I think folk are forgetting the huge amount of injuries and how difficult it must be for new young players to come in and fill the gaps. 

Just now, Yed17 said:

Scott is hardly ever on the sidelines. Spanner was getting more frustrated with officials than players. Pete Carey was on the touchline and still is. I think folk are forgetting the huge amount of injuries and how difficult it must be for new young players to come in and fill the gaps. 

Should have been more specific, I meant from the stands not from the dugout as such. 

I don't believe anyone is under any illusion the impact that our injury list has had, more or less the entire nucleus of the side in dock. 

Oldham coach scott Naylor games played 23- wins 5- draws 1- loses 17.

league position 2nd from bottom.

Featherstone coach john sharp games played 22-wins 15-draws 1- loses 6.

league position 4th prize money £500.000 sharp gets sacked.

Featherstone chairmans reason team not playing well enough.

tell me any coach with a record like ours who would still be at the helm.

Oldham chairman c. Hamilton attempts to rectify the problem pitiful

I kind of agreed when Lewis Palfrey was allowed to go.I was seeing him as a player who was only going to allow us to get so far.I was hoping that we were going to get someone with the guile to get us a few places up the league.It didn't work out and we have gone backwards.I came in against Rochdale a couple of minutes in and saw Scott Leatherbarrow make 5 yards from a pen kick to touch and had that sinking feeling.

Whatever happens re the Next matches and survival/ relegation the CH airman has to maintain the standards now in operation re website, merchandise ground.

1 hour ago, tandle said:

Oldham coach scott Naylor games played 23- wins 5- draws 1- loses 17.

league position 2nd from bottom.

Featherstone coach john sharp games played 22-wins 15-draws 1- loses 6.

league position 4th prize money £500.000 sharp gets sacked.

Featherstone chairmans reason team not playing well enough.

tell me any coach with a record like ours who would still be at the helm.

Oldham chairman c. Hamilton attempts to rectify the problem pitiful

What about all the coaches who failed to get us out of league 1. Also look at the budgets and fan base of the clubs. Is it really like for like?

to yed the first part of your post is' history.to the 2nd part it is  the brutal facts of playing in the  championship, this season as been a disaster virtually from the start we signed players who very injured before we kicked the season off. our style of play is suicidal hence alt the injuries. Naylor should have gone after the Sheffield debacle and let some of the senior players take over or is it to late if we lose against Bradford I believe surely he as to go.  

l

1 hour ago, tandle said:

to yed the first part of your post is' history.to the 2nd part it is  the brutal facts of playing in the  championship, this season as been a disaster virtually from the start we signed players who very injured before we kicked the season off. our style of play is suicidal hence alt the injuries. Naylor should have gone after the Sheffield debacle and let some of the senior players take over or is it to late if we lose against Bradford I believe surely he as to go.  

l

Not going into the injuries issue again with you, we've had that before and his style of play hasn't changed from last year when we had no where near as bad an injury list. We've also had more physio's/rehab people on board. You are entitled to your opinion about him going or staying but in my opinion he shouldn't go. I'd prefer to get behind him and the lads and make a go of the last 6 games. 

last year we stayed up because we beat Whitehaven by 2 points in our next to last game if Whitehaven had won we would have gone down. do you honestly think if we keep playing this brand of rugby we will beat relegation this year.  week after week all I hear is get behind the team we do that's  why we go. I said on here change the halve back combination to gee and Tyson I got ridiculed I then asked you all how would you change the team to make it better I am still waiting for a reply. to me the next 6 matches will define if we will still have a semi pro. rugby team called Oldham next year.i for one at 75 years will never see Oldham in the championship again.

49 minutes ago, tandle said:

last year we stayed up because we beat Whitehaven by 2 points in our next to last game if Whitehaven had won we would have gone down. do you honestly think if we keep playing this brand of rugby we will beat relegation this year.  week after week all I hear is get behind the team we do that's  why we go. I said on here change the halve back combination to gee and Tyson I got ridiculed I then asked you all how would you change the team to make it better I am still waiting for a reply. to me the next 6 matches will define if we will still have a semi pro. rugby team called Oldham next year.i for one at 75 years will never see Oldham in the championship again.

I agree 100 percent.

The club is going NOWHERE without investment, i am absolutely not prepared to get into arguments with the dwindling number of LOYAL fans who go week in week out as THEY more than anyone else deserve better.

I cant go nowadays for various reasons but like the loyal fans of today i too went week in week out in the 80's especially.

IMHO half the reason Oldham did well was the club played in OLDHAM!! The sheddings was not a place away teams liked to come too, it was in many respects a fortress.

Anyway, the opportunity for change came when the team were promoted, Hamilton should have been ACTIVELY looking for investers (seeing as chairmen go he hasn't a pot to p in).The problem here is the man himself, he has run up so many enemies in recent years i doubt even the most ardent wealthy fan would go near with him in charge.I had a conversation last year with a well known local  fellow  ex-pro,(who sadly passed away not that long ago) who told me exactly what he thought of Hamilton( again i wont go into details but he told me why he had no time for Hamilton and i have no doubt at all what he told me was true).

A few years earlier i spoke to another well known local man (ex teacher) who has also sadly passed away, and i can honestly say he NEVER had a bad word to say about anyone, and i mean anyone.When the conversation turned to Roughyeds and their plight and the owner, he said, 'he comes across as arrogant', that said it all for me.

PS oldham rugby is in my blood, i remember CRYING at central park in 86, and remember being FUMING against Warrington in 90.

hi old yed remember the swinton  debacle geof robinson scored in extra time in the cup semi final abandoned  against h.k.r. and Oldham had told the. rfl do not play a night match no floodlights. went on my motor bike ripped my l plates off and took my mate so don't tell me about supporting Oldham. coming back from leeds after spending a night in jim windsers club and in wakefield in the aces club coming back over nont sararhs  rat legged at 2-oclock am. do not tell me about supporting Oldham.

11 hours ago, tandle said:

I have to admit that i thought our halves would fair better than they have. But can't agree with Gee & Tyson. Unfortunately with the injuries we have we can't even consider playing our hookers in the halves. I too dread the drop and i'm sure we want the same end result, that a thriving Oldham team. At the moment I just get behind whoever is involved, be that the Chairman, Coaches or players. They give their best I can't ask for more. Unfortunately there may have been a couple of games this season when I came away feeling they possibly give it their best! But hey ho! I'm an Oldham fan in good times and bad. 

I for one don't pretend everything is great with our club, far from it! I came away from the Sheffield game on Sunday completely despondent HOWEVER not once even for a second did I contemplate not going next week. In my opinion the half backs have been a disappointment this season. I wasn't Palfrey's greatest fan but what he may have lacked in skill he made up for in commitment, enthusiasm and graft. He was Oldham RLFC through and through and you cannot expect the same amount of commitment from loan and duel reg players. We are missing team spirit and togetherness which in my opinion counts for a lot. We have been cripled by injuries unlike anything I've witnessed in the last 30 years. There is nothing we can do about that. As supporters let's just do our bit for the next 6 weeks. After that, whatever happens I know I'll still be there I just hope the club will be

2 hours ago, Oldham Forever said:

I for one don't pretend everything is great with our club, far from it! I came away from the Sheffield game on Sunday completely despondent HOWEVER not once even for a second did I contemplate not going next week. In my opinion the half backs have been a disappointment this season. I wasn't Palfrey's greatest fan but what he may have lacked in skill he made up for in commitment, enthusiasm and graft. He was Oldham RLFC through and through and you cannot expect the same amount of commitment from loan and duel reg players. We are missing team spirit and togetherness which in my opinion counts for a lot. We have been cripled by injuries unlike anything I've witnessed in the last 30 years. There is nothing we can do about that. As supporters let's just do our bit for the next 6 weeks. After that, whatever happens I know I'll still be there I just hope the club will be

Aye, injuries no doubt haven't helped but i cant help but feel this mindset suits Hamilton's narrative, because that's exactly what he is going to say come the end of season if the club is relegated..

The truth is you cant have a settled team with loanees and duel reg players, where would a duel reg players loyalty and commitment come from when plying for Oldham? When he is not even an Oldham player?

This is not a dig at you, as i said in an earlier post the LOYAL fans deserve so much better.

46 minutes ago, OLD YED said:

Aye, injuries no doubt haven't helped but i cant help but feel this mindset suits Hamilton's narrative, because that's exactly what he is going to say come the end of season if the club is relegated..

The truth is you cant have a settled team with loanees and duel reg players, where would a duel reg players loyalty and commitment come from when plying for Oldham? When he is not even an Oldham player?

This is not a dig at you, as i said in an earlier post the LOYAL fans deserve so much better.

Agreed,how can you have a loyal and committed team when they don't know each other?.As I've said in previous posts my positivity has now run out,we're back in league 1 next season. If we pull something special out of the bag I'll be just as happy and proud as any other fan.

1 minute ago, moorside roughyed said:

Agreed,how can you have a loyal and committed team when they don't know each other?.As I've said in previous posts my positivity has now run out,we're back in league 1 next season. If we pull something special out of the bag I'll be just as happy and proud as any other fan.

Its logical, i know this duel reg thing isnt just restricted to Oldham, i dont agree with it, never have never will.

Hopefully the team can avoid relegation - i too hope they do,i just worry the way the club is run means its a case of treading water until the inevitable happens..

I believe that we stayed up last year due to the team spirit with everyone working for each other and a never give up attitude. This was in no small part due to the leadership on the field - Lewis Palfrey - which has been sadly missed. There have been too many times this year when heads have dropped and no-one has shown the right qualities to get everyone going again.

As has been said already Palfrey might not have been the greatest haflfback to ever wear the Oldham shirt but looking back I think he was one of the best captains.

If someone can stand up over next 6 games and pull the players together then survival is possible but it might mean they also have to play what is in front of them and deviate from the gameplan at times. That maybe too big an ask.

18 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Team spirit, togetherness and a decent captain was the nucleus of last season.

Absolutely,when you have no cash for marquee signings team spirit and togetherness is vital, whilst Palfrey was not the most talented half back he was a good captain and motivator, well it looked tha way the games i saw.

Anyway, big games coming up,fingers crossed for a win or two.

Archived