Team website hits

I'd really be interested to know how many clubs are keeping (if any) are checking where their website visits are originating. I'll bet there are a lot of Canadian fans checking out the clubs that the Wolfpack are going to be facing..that can only be good for the sport and if not translating into away fans visits at the moment i think it will in the long run. I know I plan on attending an "away" game in 2018 and I will dragging some mates with me. I trust I won't be the only one...

3 hours ago, John WP Fan said:

I'm interested in attending a Summer Bash or Magic Weekend one of these years...

Some people don't like it because of the unfairness of the fixtures, but the magic weekend is a cracking weekend. Never been to a summer bash but I can only assume it's the same. If you love your rugby league there's nothing better imo.

Terrific to see Wolfpack fans on here and to see their enthusiasm. I can only reiterate what MZH has suggested about the Magic Weekend events, it's the perfect way to see an entire round of SL fixtures in a fantastic stadium at a bargain price. It would depend on the RFL fixtures but if any Toronto fan is thinking of fitting in some away fixtures next season and their team is playing in this country around the time of the MW, that would be a great time to come across and fit in as many RL games as possible.

It would be a good idea to fit in some touristy type things to see and do while you're here but I'd avoid York if I were you. :D

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I have wanted to ask about this for a while. I'm firmly in the pro Wolfpack camp (breath of fresh air is becoming an overused cliché here but they really have been) it's a hugely positive story in a sport that has had so much negative press in recent years. But that aside, and whilst acknowledging the fantastic crowd figures the wolf pack have had so far; I'd be interested to know how immersed in the world of rugby league the average TWP fan is. Are they embracing the wider sport - and their presence on sites like this would suggest that they are - or are they just 'Wolfpack Fans' and largely ignorant or disinterested in what else is going on in rugby league. 

As a fan of a club in the championship my own loyalty is with my club like most people. But I am Rugby League mad so I'm constantly checking the websites for any scrap of news and watch every game and listen to every podcast I can get hold of. So I guess my question is: how many TWP fans consider themselves Rugby League fans in general and are as obsessive about it as people are in the UK and down under? 

49 minutes ago, Flagedgetouch said:

I have wanted to ask about this for a while. I'm firmly in the pro Wolfpack camp (breath of fresh air is becoming an overused cliché here but they really have been) it's a hugely positive story in a sport that has had so much negative press in recent years. But that aside, and whilst acknowledging the fantastic crowd figures the wolf pack have had so far; I'd be interested to know how immersed in the world of rugby league the average TWP fan is. Are they embracing the wider sport - and their presence on sites like this would suggest that they are - or are they just 'Wolfpack Fans' and largely ignorant or disinterested in what else is going on in rugby league. 

As a fan of a club in the championship my own loyalty is with my club like most people. But I am Rugby League mad so I'm constantly checking the websites for any scrap of news and watch every game and listen to every podcast I can get hold of. So I guess my question is: how many TWP fans consider themselves Rugby League fans in general and are as obsessive about it as people are in the UK and down under? 

Hi mate, not to be funny but 99% of UK fans are only interested in their own club. 10,000 Wire fans turn up at the HJ every fortnight but only a few dozen post on here or other general sites like RLFans.

I am sure that after 5 months the same is even more true of Toronto. Most won't yet have a view on the number of homegrown players should be in a World Cup squad or on whether Manchester Rangers are ready for League 1, but an impressive number have already joined our site to chat RL. They wont become a Featherstone or a Wigan any time soon though.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

36 minutes ago, Flagedgetouch said:

Flagedgetouch, firstly, appreciate the shout-out for the Wolfpack. Secondly, really good questions and not easy to answer I might add.  My wife and I have attended 4 of 8 home games at The Den so far, and looks like we'll get to 3 only of the 4 Super 8's games there.....other commitments kinda get in the way.  That being said I'd consider myself a genuine Rugby League fan (albeit for about 12 months only....since I got wind of the TWP), as I have sourced out websites such as this one and try to keep on top of things daily.  And not just TWP things, but other topics such as....expansion.... NYC/Dublin/Montreal/Jacksonville joining possibilities....the apparent doping scandals currently.....League 1 relegation discussion....and even the imminent relegation of Bradford to League 1.  This last one because in the 1960's before emigration to Canada I worked for a Mill in Elgin who's Head Office was in Shipley.  Now I am not quite as "obsessive about it as people are in the UK and down under" are.  And I hope I won't get that way. Some people it would seem to me are posting 24/7/365.  I now even know that there are Rugby League World Cup competitions that I will follow with great interest with the 2025 one being held jointly by Canada/USA.  But by the law of averages it will be touch and go if I'll be around to witness that one!!!

Now to your question...."how many TWP fans consider themselves Rugby League fans in general"....that's really difficult to assess.You may have gathered that the Toronto sporting crowds are somewhat "different" from UK ones. Many go to games (NHL, NBA, MLB, etc.) for more than just the game. The stadiums have large concourses between levels and thousands of people just wander the concourses, drink in hand, socializing and having a good time.  At TWP games there are at any given time perhaps 1,000+ just wandering the grounds and when you add the probably 700+ perpetually in the beer garden at one end and another 2-300+ in the VIP tent at the other end, then at any given time there are likely 2,000+ bums not sitting in seats.  Which also contributes to the reason for the howls (non-wolf variety) from some posters on these forums questioning the TWP games attendance figures at the Den. That being said, I'd estimate that slightly more than 60% are really "into" the Wolfpack and will not be "fair weather only" fans. Hopefully the remainder will gravitate to also be real fans and will also become genuine long term fans.  Regrets for the length of thisresponse. 

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

whats wrong with York? I love the place..still miss it even after decades over here.

You should really think about what I said before you post.

Just over a week ago, York became the first team to beat Toronto Wolfpack in the league this year.

So it was said in jest, nothing wrong with York as a city, it's a beautiful place.

ah Ok OF, slow on the uptake I suppose..yes it is a lovely place and I;m proud of it..heading over there in sept/oct to see some family and show some Cdns around. 

with respect to how many Cdns are true RL fans..more than you would imagine but it was latent and took the advent of the WP to boost interest. As an expat and former RU player as a teenager I was an easy sell but I can go along with the earlier statement that of the average 6500 crowd at games circa 65-70% are fanatics with that set to grow.

21 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

ah Ok OF, slow on the uptake I suppose..yes it is a lovely place and I;m proud of it..heading over there in sept/oct to see some family and show some Cdns around. 

with respect to how many Cdns are true RL fans..more than you would imagine but it was latent and took the advent of the WP to boost interest. As an expat and former RU player as a teenager I was an easy sell but I can go along with the earlier statement that of the average 6500 crowd at games circa 65-70% are fanatics with that set to grow.

Great stuff, really hoping the whole Toronto Wolfpack effort and brand is a massive success and they help spread RL to the rest of Canada and wherever in the States it's not heard of.

The important thing about expansion is getting fans in and keeping them coming. Of course a winning team always helps attendances but the attendances they've been getting, higher than 3-4 SL clubs? Is hugely impressive. I've spoken to a few TWP fans and while some aren't 100% sure of the rules theyre still coming and enjoying the best sport in the world, and thats massive. 

At Canada Day celebrations in Trafalgar square there was TWP representatives there promoting the club. Before TWP really became a club Perez's RL TV show showed games, laying the foundations for the game there and getting interest up. 

And on MW I'd recommend ANYONE to go as its abolutely class. Great, fun atmosphere, blown up palm trees and bananas getting thrown around :laugh: and fans talking to each other. Get the odd player around aswell, Gaz Ellis was sitting a few rows away from me. 

You can buy little radios for £5 so you can listen to the Sky commentary, they clip over your ear.  You can sit there watching 3 games in a row of good footy, listening to the commentary with a coke in your hand loving life 

19511433_1375790279214260_3955754964281790455_n.jpg

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Hi mate, not to be funny but 99% of UK fans are only interested in their own club. 10,000 Wire fans turn up at the HJ every fortnight but only a few dozen post on here or other general sites like RLFans.

I am sure that after 5 months the same is even more true of Toronto. Most won't yet have a view on the number of homegrown players should be in a World Cup squad or on whether Manchester Rangers are ready for League 1, but an impressive number have already joined our site to chat RL. They wont become a Featherstone or a Wigan any time soon though.

Yeah, fair point mate; I think I am at a special level of RL anorak to be fair! I just love to see new fans discovering the sport wherever they are. 

2 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Flagedgetouch, firstly, appreciate the shout-out for the Wolfpack. Secondly, really good questions and not easy to answer I might add.  My wife and I have attended 4 of 8 home games at The Den so far, and looks like we'll get to 3 only of the 4 Super 8's games there.....other commitments kinda get in the way.  That being said I'd consider myself a genuine Rugby League fan (albeit for about 12 months only....since I got wind of the TWP), as I have sourced out websites such as this one and try to keep on top of things daily.  And not just TWP things, but other topics such as....expansion.... NYC/Dublin/Montreal/Jacksonville joining possibilities....the apparent doping scandals currently.....League 1 relegation discussion....and even the imminent relegation of Bradford to League 1.  This last one because in the 1960's before emigration to Canada I worked for a Mill in Elgin who's Head Office was in Shipley.  Now I am not quite as "obsessive about it as people are in the UK and down under" are.  And I hope I won't get that way. Some people it would seem to me are posting 24/7/365.  I now even know that there are Rugby League World Cup competitions that I will follow with great interest with the 2025 one being held jointly by Canada/USA.  But by the law of averages it will be touch and go if I'll be around to witness that one!!!

Now to your question...."how many TWP fans consider themselves Rugby League fans in general"....that's really difficult to assess.You may have gathered that the Toronto sporting crowds are somewhat "different" from UK ones. Many go to games (NHL, NBA, MLB, etc.) for more than just the game. The stadiums have large concourses between levels and thousands of people just wander the concourses, drink in hand, socializing and having a good time.  At TWP games there are at any given time perhaps 1,000+ just wandering the grounds and when you add the probably 700+ perpetually in the beer garden at one end and another 2-300+ in the VIP tent at the other end, then at any given time there are likely 2,000+ bums not sitting in seats.  Which also contributes to the reason for the howls (non-wolf variety) from some posters on these forums questioning the TWP games attendance figures at the Den. That being said, I'd estimate that slightly more than 60% are really "into" the Wolfpack and will not be "fair weather only" fans. Hopefully the remainder will gravitate to also be real fans and will also become genuine long term fans.  Regrets for the length of thisresponse. 

Thanks for the response Cameron; to be honest I'd never really considered the difference in wider sporting culture between North America and the uk! Here people tend to rush to the bar and rush back - juggling the desire to get Trollied with the ever present fear of missing a try; or worse still some "biff"! This whole marketing the game as part of a wider entertainment package is something we do generally very poorly at over here and we can definitely already learn from TWP on that score. It's just great to see so many Canadians embracing the sport; and yes, the World Cup in 2025 it's extremely exciting (I'm sure you'll make it - no sweat!) In the nicest possible way I hope we don't play you next season (im hoping we'll be back in super league by then) but if we fail to gain promotion I'm going to start saving for a trans Atlantic away day immediately! 

On 08/08/2017 at 6:13 AM, Old Frightful said:

Terrific to see Wolfpack fans on here and to see their enthusiasm. I can only reiterate what MZH has suggested about the Magic Weekend events, it's the perfect way to see an entire round of SL fixtures in a fantastic stadium at a bargain price. It would depend on the RFL fixtures but if any Toronto fan is thinking of fitting in some away fixtures next season and their team is playing in this country around the time of the MW, that would be a great time to come across and fit in as many RL games as possible.

It would be a good idea to fit in some touristy type things to see and do while you're here but I'd avoid York if I were you. :D

And to meet a number of TRL forum members, too. On the other hand....:)

Archived