rugby league history quiz

Just for a bit of fun. Questions relate to some of the stories in my new book, which is out this week, more details of which are here: http://shop.totalrl.com/product/100-days/

1 Rugby’s first British Lions captain drowned on tour in Australia in 1888. He played for Swinton. What was his name?

2 Which Northern Union team walked away from the sport in 1903 and won the FA Cup eight years later under a different name?

3 Which Welsh rugby star strangled his wife on Christmas night in 1906 and then killed himself?

4 Which team forfeited the Australian Premiership by not turning up to the final?

5 Name one of the seven 1927 Rugby League All Blacks who went on strike during the tour.

6 Which Australian halfback had a try contentiously disallowed at the end of the deciding Ashes Test in 1930?

7 Which Kangaroo tourist died in Malta en route to England in 1933?

8 Who captained the 1946 British Lions, who were nicknamed The Indomitables?

9 The exclusion of which Australian from their 1948 touring squad led to accusations of sectarianism?

10 Which joint 100 metres world-record holder signed for Leigh in 1953?

11 Which former Kangaroo tourist was poisoned in 1953 by his mother-in-law, with whom he was having an affair?

12 Who scored the Wembley try which led to Don Fox’s infamous missed conversion in 1968?

13 About which match did a national newspaper write “Get these thugs off our TV screens!” in 1970?

14 Which 1972 World Cup Finalist became one of Queensland’s most wanted men for numerous armed robberies after he retired? Clue: It’s not Stevo!

15 Which Australian first grader was sentenced to death in Thailand in 1978, before his punishment was reduced to life imprisonment?

16 How did Mal Meninga celebrate his 20th birthday?

17 The supporters of which club burned down their stadium in celebration in 1981?

18 Whose sending-off led to the Bradford Northern players walking off the field at Hull KR in 1982?

19 Who stunned late-night TV viewers in 1983 by telling his Wigan players to “f*** off somewhere else” if they didn’t want to train?

20 Who was sacked in 1989 and then survived an earthquake weeks later?

21 Which Wasps player was banned for 12 months in 1993 by the RFU for playing an unpaid trial match for the Leeds Alliance team?

22 Who scored Super League’s first-ever try?

23 The front page of Sydney’s Daily Telegraph told which player to fly 16,981km back to England in 2001?

24 Who was imprisoned in 2015 for introducing Rugby League to the United Arab Emirates?

25 Whose try forced extra time in the 2016 Million Pound Game?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.10 must be McDonald Bailey, right?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think everyone knows #24 (Sol Mokdad).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived