rugby league history quiz

4 - Balmain Tigers.

I remember hearing the story of few years ago. From memory I think the gist was they were due to play South Sydney in the final but agreed not to play it after the newly formed NSWRL arranged a match against the Wallabies (RU) on the same day.  For whatever reason that match didn't go ahead, South Sydney turned up for the final, Balmain didn't and the Rabbits won by default.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Railway End said:

4 - Balmain Tigers.

I remember hearing the story of few years ago. From memory I think the gist was they were due to play South Sydney in the final but agreed not to play it after the newly formed NSWRL arranged a match against the Wallabies (RU) on the same day.  For whatever reason that match didn't go ahead, South Sydney turned up for the final, Balmain didn't and the Rabbits won by default.

Yes, it's a fascinating story. It was claimed for years that South Sydney had also agreed to boycott, but reneged, leading to bad feeling between the clubs for a long time. But there's no evidence to suggest Souths had agreed to any such thing. 

The game that was to take the main billing was a hastily arranged 4th match between the Kangaroos and the Wallabies, and it did go ahead. The Roos won to square the series at 2-2. It was a series of games which effectively saved the code's bacon in Australia.

Tim Sheens' great uncle, Joe Regent, captained Balmain back then. And he knew all about his career when I spoke to him! 

12 - Ken Hirst (I think he got both Wakefield tries that day).

Struggling to add any more without consulting my phone a friend Mr Google

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

19/ Murphy?

I looked that up on Wikipedia.

I hadn't realised that Big Jim Sullivan coached Wigan for 20 years and that Kel Coslett had coached them.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Ah I think I know another one!

22 - Ex French Flat Capper himself - Freddie Banquet (sp?) playing for Paris SG.

21. Steve Pilgrim?

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left