Regional leagues 2018

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDITED AND OVERHAULED:

OK, I've spoken with a friend about the draft West of England structure based on 12 teams.

Simple way of putting it:
PHASE 1 - Three regionalised pools of four playing a double round robin.  6 games.
PHASE 2 - Two groups of six - top two from each group in "Premier", bottom twos in "Championship" - single round robin.  5 games.
PLAYOFFS - Top four from each phase 2 group in a standard, single-elimination bracket.

1 minute ago, kev p said:

Is west of England league part of south west or different leagues? 

If you visit rugby-league.com, they display the West of England and South West under the same league structure.  In practice, they're two separate, autonomous leagues.  So, just your usual Rugby League cluster****.

On 25/02/2018 at 7:59 PM, bbfaz said:

West of England structure based on 12 teams

Swindon St George, Swindon St George A, Somerset Vikings, Bristol Sonics, Forest Bulldogs, Gloucester Warriors, Cheltenham Phoenix, Bath RL, Oxford Cavaliers, Southampton Spitfires, Portsmouth Seahawks

Who are the 12th team? Reading Raiders or are the Romans up and running again? 

Also, any changes in the 11 I think will be there

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

4 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Swindon St George, Swindon St George A, Somerset Vikings, Bristol Sonics, Forest Bulldogs, Gloucester Warriors, Cheltenham Phoenix, Bath RL, Oxford Cavaliers, Southampton Spitfires, Portsmouth Seahawks

Who are the 12th team? Reading Raiders or are the Romans up and running again? 

Also, any changes in the 11 I think will be there

The Romans are dead, so by process of elimination...

5 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Thought they wouldn't do a Lazuras even though they claimed they would

Maybe I'm way off but I thought that Bath RL split from them and took quite a bit of the playing staff with them.

TBH, the Romans have an identity crisis anyway.

12 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I heard Midlands was split into two groups of 4?

group A: Birmingham, Ravens, Telford, Lemaington

group B: Derby, Boston, Notts, Sherwood

I was basing it off Sherwood's fixture list so could be but with Loughborough added in

EDITED AND OVERHAULED:

OK, I've spoken with a friend about the draft West of England structure based on 12 teams.

Simple way of putting it:
PHASE 1 - Three regionalised pools of four playing a double round robin.  6 games.
PHASE 2 - Two groups of six - top two from each group in "Premier", bottom twos in "Championship" - single round robin.  5 games.
PLAYOFFS - Top four from each phase 2 group in a standard, single-elimination bracket.

Bumped into a mate in Asda, who informed me the Pools are...

Pool 1 - Bristol Sonics, Somerset Vikings, Bath RL and Swindon St George 1st XIII

Pool 2 - Forest Bulldogs, Gloucester Warriors, Cheltenham Phoenix and Swindon St George 2nd XIII

Pool 3 - Oxford Cavaliers, Southampton Spitfires, Portsmouth Seahawks and Reading Raiders 

Not sure if these have been officially announced yet so this could be either "hot off the press" or "completely wrong". 

Swindon St George fixtures plus dates for the later phases.

_20180308_112010.JPG

The new Cumberland League divisions, there is a six team premier division and an eight team division one:

http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/sport/rl/The-Iggesund-Cumberland-Amateur-Rugby-League-to-get-under-way-with-a-new-look-this-weekend-2a7b5b0d-6706-458f-8b75-d0336e26a972-ds

Also the new North West Men's League divisions are out: http://www.rugby-league.com/leagues__competitions/north_west_mens/league_table

Golborne Parkside, Bamber Bridge, Bank Quay Bulls, Bold Miners, Fitton Hill and Blackpool Stanley appear to be no more. New additions include Walney Central and Ulverston returning from the defunct Cumbria Men's League plus there is a new North Wales Crusaders Community team in division two.

21 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Some historic names falling out of the NW there, particularly in Warrington 

It's possible some of them are in the merit league, but that would seem more likely for the smaller clubs

Archived