Raiders v Sheffield (league game)

Michael Ashton

What an amazing game. Sheffield started like a house on fire, the referee blew for endless penalties and Barrow made loads of mistakes,

All this was in the first half and Barrow looked well beaten at 18-0. Having said that Sheffield did look a very good side and were too fast for Barrow.

The second half was a different story. Barrow were a lot better after the break and also received a  lot more help from the referee and scored tries from Litherland, Bullock,DanToal and 3 from Shane Toal. The end result was 36-22. 

The gate was about 1,200. The downside is that Cresswell was carried off on a stretcher and taken to hospital.

started slow but once in there stride what a performance to nill them in the 2nd half (until last play of the game) was awesome thought Jono smith had his best game for barrow today and Alec Susino was off loading at will add to that  Shane toal's hat trick and a match to remember 1 to 17 were outstanding  tackled anything that moved.

the only down side was the injury to Luke cress well hope its not a serious injury. heard it was a break but hope not 

what a 2nd half performance......blew the Eagles away.

The forwards ... all of them ....were superb and totally overwhelmed the eagles pack.

Jono had his best game in a Raiders shirt..he did what everyone knows he can do and Alec is one dangerous offloader...we need to have a back shadow him every time he gets the ball as creates openings.

Hope Luke is ok? Doesnt look good tho :-(

Also Lithy looked to be struggling at the end.

Well done lads

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

Still trying to get my breath back. What a performance. I'll leave it to others to comment  but my point is, if this doesn't show teams how stupid DR is, then I fear for their future. Today Eagles had SIX DR players as opposed to their team last week. All from SL sides. Were we frightened? No, and i'll tell you why. There is a world of difference picking players who are used to training all week with SL sides, but not getting match practice. Then their is the fact they don't know the structures, they don't know the players around them, who can do what, ete, etc. I could go on. it was obvious today those DR players had given their all in the first half but were sadly lacking in the second half because they are not used to playing 80 minutes. Another point, how do those players who turned out for Eagles last week feel after being dropped this week? Know how I would feel. Way to go Aston in creating loyalty.

The look on the Raiders players faces when they came over to the popular side at the final whistle said it all to me. We are a TEAM and the coaches and board deserve all the credit we can give them for going against the grain a few seasons ago when others thought it was the way to go. Sorry, but I just hate DR with a passion.

I too dislike dual registration but it is in the rules and if other sides want to use it fully so be it.I certainly wouldn't complain if Barrow could pick up a decent stand-off to cover for Dallimore. Without doubt for the first 30 minutes today the side with the D.R. players was the one playing like a team. I think our forwards just got on top in the end when we started to defend off the line with more speed and vigour. Sheffield then struggled to get field position. We tackled everything that moved for the first 30/35 minutes of the second half. The defensive display in the first half especially on the Barrow left was atrocious. Some of our passing at times was woeful. Personally I would like to have seen Marwood given a chance. He tends to pass with more precision and gets the ball away from the play the ball  faster than anyone else so the benefit is reaped from a quick play the ball. Having said all that - what a comeback. Some superb tries and strong defensive efforts were justly rewarded with what in the end was a convincing win.

I thought the ref had a pretty good game. He blew for infringements at the play the ball early on so everyone should have got the message. I don't know what the penalty count was but I would guess we were more or less squeaky clean in the second half which allowed us to build pressure. 

The team spirit, fitness and determination not be be beaten saw us home in the end. Onwards and upwards.

I agree with 90% of your analysis of the match red square but you also make my point. For 30 minutes they played like a team. After that, well, we saw what happened and why. Also the team showed today we don't need cover for Dally. The TEAM showed their commitment. Or do you want us to go DR? No, I know you don't. Yep, it's in the rules, fine, but it's going to kill teams.

I have to admit I turned my internet feed off after that 3rd Sheff Try As it sounded like a total collapse & with a man down but glad I returned several mins later when my blood pressure reduced ?

What a thrilling comeback, Sensational stuff In Front of a healthy crowd of 1200...Hope it’s a few hundred higher next time out.

Chuffed for the loyal supporters who have seen some bad times but now get this current team to cheer on to victory at FORTRESS PARK

2 hours ago, wonderofwood said:

It was the Eagles right centre that caused all the havoc . Beat his man every time he got he ball. Decent St Helens prospect that kid 

Totally agree, Iv not really seen much of Jake Spedding until today but he was quality, the Eagles were impressive early doors but when Barrow started controlling the ball you could see the game turning, great game and all 3 three officials were good which is unusual to say! Usually there is a gripe if we don't get the decisions but were there any complaints with Dec Hulme's pass to Shane for his last try? The highlights will be on the Evening Mail online in the next day or so and the camera isn't level with the pass but it looked doubtful!

On 3/25/2018 at 6:25 PM, TMF said:

Still trying to get my breath back. What a performance. I'll leave it to others to comment  but my point is, if this doesn't show teams how stupid DR is, then I fear for their future. Today Eagles had SIX DR players as opposed to their team last week. All from SL sides. Were we frightened? No, and i'll tell you why. There is a world of difference picking players who are used to training all week with SL sides, but not getting match practice. Then their is the fact they don't know the structures, they don't know the players around them, who can do what, ete, etc. I could go on. it was obvious today those DR players had given their all in the first half but were sadly lacking in the second half because they are not used to playing 80 minutes. Another point, how do those players who turned out for Eagles last week feel after being dropped this week? Know how I would feel. Way to go Aston in creating loyalty.

The look on the Raiders players faces when they came over to the popular side at the final whistle said it all to me. We are a TEAM and the coaches and board deserve all the credit we can give them for going against the grain a few seasons ago when others thought it was the way to go. Sorry, but I just hate DR with a passion.

They are only permitted a limit of 5 dual reg and loan players in a matchday squad.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

You are right mate, I was wrong. Love your name though.

Archived