What is happening to MY beloved club?

sheddingswasus

2 hours ago, HomeOfTheTubularBandage said:

Oh dear. Are we back here? Thought promotion solved all the problems? No? Well I for one never saw this coming. I'm astonished. I thought there were no underlying issues.

??

There are of course underlying issues, no home of our own, and no money.

Again, i dont hold CH 100% to blame, i dont know the ins and outs of how he runs this club, but i do know he hasn't got a pot to p in, so the club will simply limp on with a broken hind leg until the vet puts it down.

Thats the sad reality, whether people like it or not.

Perhaps some of the people who go on and on about how the club is so badly run could tell me when it has been run well . I have been watching since the early fifties and of the people in power have bought badly not invested in the ground etc etc 

6 minutes ago, Tangle said:

Perhaps some of the people who go on and on about how the club is so badly run could tell me when it has been run well . I have been watching since the early fifties and of the people in power have bought badly not invested in the ground etc etc 

Sheddings was a dump to be sure.. but it was our dump plus we had the dog track the clubhouse and a ruddy big car park.

Ive no doubt someone somewhere made a fortune when ORLFC was carved up.

4 hours ago, OLD YED said:

Sheddings was a dump to be sure.. but it was our dump plus we had the dog track the clubhouse and a ruddy big car park.

Ive no doubt someone somewhere made a fortune when ORLFC was carved up.

It was a dump,but it was fantastic. Some of my best memories are when I was there with my mates.And yes someone would've made a bob or two when the club was chopped up,they always do.

11 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

It was a dump,but it was fantastic. Some of my best memories are when I was there with my mates.And yes someone would've made a bob or two when the club was chopped up,they always do.

Absolutely, so many fond memories at sheddings, it was part of growing up in Oldham for thousands of schoolkids going to the sheddings on a sunday afternoon.

Who could forget the aussies in 1986, beating Wigan in the Challenge cup, and one of my favs, beating Bradford northern in the challenge cup quater final, 6-1 i think the score was.

I suppose its easy to wallow in self pity when harking back to the good old days, im sure there is not one of us who would not love to see a great Oldham side again.

I think on refection im just a bit bitter, its hard not to be when seeing this great club were it is 2day.

Whatever happened to Arthur Walker?

He was the Chairman back in the 1970s.....reputed to be well-heeled and parked his roller on match days in the corner by the old clubhouse. The club seemed to be in safe hands when he held the reins of power. Did he get bought out or popped his clogs? He was a proper old-school gaffer. Had charm,charisma and a bob or two.

I remember a story that he went on a secret road-trip to sign England RU winger David Duckham in the mid-1970s,and had a large envelope stuffed with cash in the car to sweeten the deal. On arriving at the given address,he was confronted with an opulent manor house with an impressive sweeping driveway. Realising his bundle of cash wouldn't cut the mustard,he drove home without even attempting to get DD to sign on the dotted line. The word was that Duckham was part of the Duckham Oil family and that they were minted beyond belief.Probably the only time that Arthur Walker ever felt like a poor man! At least he tried.

Archived