Getting to Old Trafford

yanto

Ok been out of the country for twenty years ..been to watch United a lot of years ago, driving in via Salford Docks back then , but never been to a SL GF.

So if you have a city center hotel near Victoria Station how easy (or difficult) is it to get to Old Trafford and back ??

1 minute ago, yanto said:

Ok been out of the country for twenty years ..been to watch United a lot of years ago, driving in via Salford Docks back then , but never been to a SL GF.

So if you have a city center hotel near Victoria Station how easy (or difficult) is it to get to Old Trafford and back ??

The metro is good to get to OT from the city centre. Getting back can be a pain though. They never seem to have enough carriages on the trams for the volume if people who use it after the match. That’s why I now either stay in the other direction (Sale, Altrincham etc.) or around Salford Quays. I personally wouldn’t attempt to go for a drink near the stadium either. The pubs nearby are usually rammed or charge for entry.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

The metro is good to get to OT from the city centre. Getting back can be a pain though. They never seem to have enough carriages on the trams for the volume if people who use it after the match. That’s why I now either stay in the other direction (Sale, Altrincham etc.) or around Salford Quays. I personally wouldn’t attempt to go for a drink near the stadium either. The pubs nearby are usually rammed or charge for entry.

Just looking at prices Salford Quays !!! .."cough cough"......Maybe better staying near the airport..Train into the city then Metro ??

1 minute ago, yanto said:

Just looking at prices Salford Quays !!! .."cough cough"......Maybe better staying near the airport..Train into the city then Metro ??

We got in early at Holiday Inn but it’s still a bit pricey for what it is. There are usually buses parked up near the cricket ground after the game which go back to Piccadilly if I remember rightly.

rldfsignature.jpg

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

I have actually walked it back to the City centre a few times after the Grand Final because I cant be bothered with the hassle and waiting plus its often quicker!

Walked back from Ethiad a few years ago after a Kiwi game (I think) I suppose OT is about the same distance  but maybe asking a lot of an eight year old.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I have actually walked it back to the City centre a few times after the Grand Final because I cant be bothered with the hassle and waiting plus its often quicker!

Lots actually do the walk for the reasons given. There used to be the odd pub to pop into to break up the journey, but I think most of them have closed over the years.

21 minutes ago, yanto said:

Stay futher away to get a better price then Drive to Old Trafford cricket ground or Trafford bowling club (almost next door).

Parking cheap and less than 10 minutes walk to ground. 

5 minutes ago, yanto said:

Football Hotel seems great ..right outside the ground then I see they want to book two rooms (at full price)  for me the wife and an eight year old ??? 

How crazy is that ...maybe the wife will have to stay at home ?

If you thought the prices around SQ were steep I’m surprised you looked at the football hotel. We looked last year and the price was astronomical.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, John Rhino said:

Stay futher away to get a better price then Drive to Old Trafford cricket ground or Trafford bowling club (almost next door).

Parking cheap and less than 10 minutes walk to ground. 

Fly Saturday in Fly out Sunday ...unless I get a hire car thats not an option as the cost would then be no different than an expensive hotel closer to the city .

How much do the kids charge now to "Watch your car mister" ?? 

6 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

Lots actually do the walk for the reasons given. There used to be the odd pub to pop into to break up the journey, but I think most of them have closed over the years.

Yeah its pretty barren along there now and not many places to stop at. The pubs I have seen I would be wary about going in!

7 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

If you thought the prices around SQ were steep I’m surprised you looked at the football hotel. We looked last year and the price was astronomical.

Saturday night double room 241 Getting cheapest on the Quays at 284 to 426 ??

10 minutes ago, yanto said:

Fly Saturday in Fly out Sunday ...unless I get a hire car thats not an option as the cost would then be no different than an expensive hotel closer to the city .

How much do the kids charge now to "Watch your car mister" ?? 

Ha ha!

Sorry, my suggestion useless to you!

49 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

The Quadrant pub is usually ok before matches, gets full but not so full that you can't get served and they don't charge for entry. After the game a service bus goes back to the city centre from right outside and there's usually very few on I,  but I think they ony go every hour.

As others have said about 40 minute walk to Deansgate

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah its pretty barren along there now and not many places to stop at. The pubs I have seen I would be wary about going in!

Ha ha... Going back a few years and travelling back the other way from Main Road (the semi that Wigan beat Wire... the Lydon drop goal) we walked back to city centre. Stopped at a pub, in all innocence, and the first thing to see was a massive photo of Danny La Rue. 

Hmm.  It was an interesting pub, but we stayed for a second pint.

9 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Just a thought but Travelodge's are generally cheaper at the surrounding towns, you may get a good deal somewhere else that's on the tram route

Yes but if you are the wrong side of the city centre you still have the problem of a packed OT metro station and not enough trams. That’s why we used to stay in Sale and Altrincham.  Does anyone know if the situation is the same on the metro when United are at home or do they put more trams on to cope with the extra people but we don’t get that privilege for the GF?

rldfsignature.jpg

To be honest its the getting to and getting back that concerns me more than the hotel prices (within reason)

I understand they bang them up on nights like this.

I dont mind paying a little over the odds as long as I can get to and from OT, within reason, especially with an eight year old in tow .

Archived