Told You So

However they sell it, the 'loop fixtures' will be cherry picked games to drive up attendances and ratings. It's not fair, and does mean overkill of particular rivalries, but it's also a fairly simple business decision to fill the extra 6 games with the most appealing derbies. Particularly at a time when they're trying to stop declining attendances and boost their bargaining position for the next TV rights, it does make sense.

36 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/loop-fixtures-hull-fc-kr-2078900

When the loop fixtures were first mooted I was down by certain posters for suggesting that the Hull derby would be one of them. 

I think most posters knew it would likely be worked out on an odds vs evens basis, as the article suggests. It gives an even spread.

What I don't understand is, if it is that, then didn't Hull finish 6th/8th and Rovers 10th? Unless they're going by the fact Rovers finished 3rd in the 8s?

The suggested idea for Magic Weekend is bloody stupid though. Why pick a format that guarantees a fourth fixture? Odds should play odds and evens against evens at Magic. It's not a difficult concept!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Just now, ghost crayfish said:

However they sell it, the 'loop fixtures' will be cherry picked games to drive up attendances and ratings. It's not fair, and does mean overkill of particular rivalries, but it's also a fairly simple business decision to fill the extra 6 games with the most appealing derbies. Particularly at a time when they're trying to stop declining attendances and boost their bargaining position for the next TV rights, it does make sense.

Did you read the article?

10 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What I don't understand is, if it is that, then didn't Hull finish 6th/8th and Rovers 10th? Unless they're going by the fact Rovers finished 3rd in the 8s?

Maybe they used the rankings that gave yet another derby. Sometimes less is more. With the chance (remote but still a possibility) of Challenge Cup and play off games we could see five derbies in one season.

rldfsignature.jpg

13 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think most posters knew it would likely be worked out on an odds vs evens basis, as the article suggests. It gives an even spread.

The suggested idea for Magic Weekend is bloody stupid though. Why pick a format that guarantees a fourth fixture? Odds should play odds and evens against evens at Magic. It's not a difficult concept!

they are going by finishing positions in the middle 8s as can be seen by the hull loop fixtures not including Leeds who finished 9th in the regular season but after the 8s were in 10th place so avoiding a loop fixture with hull fc. In effect rovers finished in 11th place at the end of the season .

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

9 minutes ago, southstand loiner said:

they are going by finishing positions in the middle 8s as can be seen by the hull loop fixtures not including Leeds who finished 9th in the regular season but after the 8s were in 10th place so avoiding a loop fixture with hull fc. In effect rovers finished in 11th place at the end of the season .

That’s consistent with awarding the LLS.

10 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Maybe they used the rankings that gave yet another derby. Sometimes less is more. With the chance (remote but still a possibility) of Challenge Cup and play off games we could see five derbies in one season.

I'm more concerned that they're considering a guaranteed 4 fixtures because it Magic Weekend.

Saints v Warrington could be 3x in the league + 1 extra at Magic + in the cup and with the return of the old playoffs, could be twice in the playoffs. That's 7 times. And there's a very good chance that could happen given they're two of the top teams.

12 minutes ago, southstand loiner said:

They may also decide that Saints finished 3rd, Castleford 4th and whoever wins the Grand Final is 1st.

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

They may also decide that Saints finished 3rd, Castleford 4th and whoever wins the Grand Final is 1st.

They should do. Saints finished third in the SL comp this year. But if they go off table position after 30rds then fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

As I said above, the ranking at the end of the 8s is how the LLS is awarded so I would suggest that is how all the final rankings are decided.

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I'm more concerned that they're considering a guaranteed 4 fixtures because it Magic Weekend.

Saints v Warrington could be 3x in the league + 1 extra at Magic + in the cup and with the return of the old playoffs, could be twice in the playoffs. That's 7 times. And there's a very good chance that could happen given they're two of the top teams.

The bit that worries me about Magic is the move to 'ranked' games. The last time they did this they were rewarded with the lowest crowd ever.

Whilst I think they need to be more creative, this is the entertainment business and I have little issue with hand picking games.

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

you never know but they did say its based on finishing positions in the league .

now on your little theory can I add that if Toronto win the million quid game they may decide to give them 2 points and put them above rovers in the league . thus giving rovers a even number finishing position.mind you that would put them at the top of the middle 8s but hey ho gives plenty more chances to the more negative rugby league supporters to claim fix I suppose.

I'm just joining in the fantasy possibilities that seem to be running wild 

33 minutes ago, southstand loiner said:

you never know but they did say its based on finishing positions in the league .

now on your little theory can I add that if Toronto win the million quid game they may decide to give them 2 points and put them above rovers in the league . thus giving rovers a even number finishing position.mind you that would put them at the top of the middle 8s but hey ho gives plenty more chances to the more negative rugby league supporters to claim fix I suppose.

If they go off final league positions because they have stated it, then that is fine, but if London get promoted then They wouldn't even have a finishing league position as they would be 13th so doesn't work.

The point about who would be 1st, 2nd 3rd etc is probably irrelevant as they will be grouping in 4s I believe and then drawing out.

So we will end up with something like:

Wigan v Saints

Wire v Car

Wakey v Hull

Catalans v Hudds

Leeds v Salford

Hull KR v Toronto/London

50 minutes ago, southstand loiner said:

That would be stupid though. They'd have played an extra game for points. That would be a fix.

It wouldn't just put them above Rovers either. They'd be top of the group.

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The would be stupid though. They'd have played an extra game for points. That would be a fix.

It wouldn't just put them above Rovers either. They'd be top of the group.

hey when has stupidity stopped something been done .

just imagine the outrage from the flat earth brigade if it promoted Toronto to the top of the middle 8s . its almost worth doing it just for that 

Just now, Dave T said:

That would make the number of home and away games unbalanced.

well make one of the loop games an on the road game and that would even up the numbers

1 minute ago, southstand loiner said:

well make one of the loop games an on the road game and that would even up the numbers

They are playing this number of games because they believe they need this income. Your idea just scraps a couple of games. They could just play 28 games if they wanted.

10 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Why is Magic Weekend not one of the 6 loop fixtures rather than an extra round? 

It's technically a 7th loop fixture.

There needs to be an even number outside of Magic to give a fair share of home games to all 12 teams.

It used to be 6 extra before Magic, but dropped to 4 extra to accommodate Magic.

I guess club owners have l gotten greedy again to go back to 6 + Magic.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

They are playing this number of games because they believe they need this income. Your idea just scraps a couple of games. They could just play 28 games if they wanted.

indeed they could also play more games if they want to but mine was just a solution to an unbalanced number  that including the magic games as loop fixtures would bring up .

oh for the days of 40 plus games a season 

Archived