Back to the future?

glemiln

54 minutes ago, glemiln said:

https://youtu.be/qHDIiGWpRck

Another “must win” (for both sides) and hopefully Hornets can perform for 80minutes for our much needed victory. The video from 1994 records a rare Hornets 46-16 win at Barrow.  Some impressive rugby made to look simple.

Can anyone name the Hornets team - I think Steve Gibson was our coach at the time?

Sadly we are light years away from the quality of that team.

Odd this, according to the Rothmans rugby league yearbook we played at Barrow on  21 Aug 1994 winning 48-22 attendence was 870.  So cannot explain how the commentator has the score as 46-16 unless it was before the game had finished and more points were scored.

I dont have access to my records at the moment but should be able to locate the full team when I do

try scorers were Churm (2), England (2), Stewart (2), Gibson and Hilton with Strett kicking 8 goals

15 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Odd this, according to the Rothmans rugby league yearbook we played at Barrow on  21 Aug 1994 winning 48-22 attendence was 870.  So cannot explain how the commentator has the score as 46-16 unless it was before the game had finished and more points were scored.

I dont have access to my records at the moment but should be able to locate the full team when I do

try scorers were Churm (2), England (2), Stewart (2), Gibson and Hilton with Strett kicking 8 goals

Martin Strett, as good a goalkicker as any we've had over the years.

3 hours ago, spanishknight said:

2 teams getting promoted from league one is the idea.

Unless it’s one promoted only, plus Ottawa? Any link to the idea or preferably facts?

Ps.  I was wondering about the maths -  below is the full quote from SK off the York forum;

‘one team being relegated (from championship) this season and two being promoted from league one and Ottawa  going straight into the Championship,”

And from elsewhere..... the future for League 1 ?

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/hints-at-more-championship-expansion-clubs-could-merge/

Plus from Love RL:

Number of pro clubs to cut to 30? It’s looking unlikely that League One will exist post the 2021 funding/broadcast split, with Championship clubs already preparing for negotiations for their own TV deal with the likelihood they will be cut out of the funding via Super League. There is now a scramble for the clubs who think they can maintain semi-professional rugby league in its current form, with fears clubs will cease to exist.

Let us be honest the aptly named Ralph Rimmer and Big Nige savaged our sport creating the Gloucester All Golds and the rest of those self styled expansionist clubs.  The reality was Hornets, Swinton and the other established clubs and players could barely survive as it stood without those ridiculous away games. 

I am all for controlled expansion and Coventry and the Skolars are solid and could be added to within time, I even think an Isle of Man club could be viable and bring real opportunities for the wider game.

Super league is now a very different game and brand of rugby league but we should ensure heartland towns always have a path for young people to play and be a part of our collective heritage that the RU would see savaged and left to die, hoping we would all end up at Sale Sharks.  

Archived