Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trojan

Lance Todd Trophy

Recommended Posts

Which small ex mining village in West Yorkshire boasts three Lance Todd winners. Who are they?


“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Which small ex mining village in West Yorkshire boasts three Lance Todd winners. Who are they?

Carl Dooler, Steve Nash and David Hobbs. Featherstone 1967, 73 and 83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Carl Dooler, Steve Nash and David Hobbs. Featherstone 1967, 73 and 83

Nash and Hobbs from Featherstone, Dooler was from Sharlston, two miles away! All Great Britain Internationals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Nash and Hobbs from Featherstone, Dooler was from Sharlston, two miles away! All Great Britain Internationals.

The question is open to interpretation lol. I suppose it would then be Fox N, Fox D and Dooler during the 60s and 70s?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scubby said:

The question is open to interpretation lol. I suppose it would then be Fox N, Fox D and Dooler during the 60s and 70s?

Yes they were all from Sharlston, so that is the correct answer. Many great players from such a small area.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Yes they were all from Sharlston, so that is the correct answer. Many great players from such a small area.

Sharlston Juniors was a feeder school to the High School I attended. Lots of great rugby players played there. Still do I imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Carl Dooler, Steve Nash and David Hobbs. Featherstone 1967, 73 and 83

Try again


“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the same theme I get 8 St. Helens born I bet both Widnes and Wigan will beat that comfortably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

On the same theme I get 8 St. Helens born I bet both Widnes and Wigan will beat that comfortably. 

Don't think Widnes will - I can only think of George Nicholls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, JonM said:

Don't think Widnes will - I can only think of George Nicholls.

Get about four not as many as I thought. Wigan will be in the late teens I reckon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Get about four not as many as I thought. Wigan will be in the late teens I reckon. 

Scarp that Prescott and Dutton for some reason I thought Mick Burke was a Widnes lad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Scarp that Prescott and Dutton for some reason I thought Mick Burke was a Widnes lad. 

Ray Dutton was from Runcorn, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are three winners from Oldham, two of them are Marc Sneyd.  The other is Kevin Sinfield


“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bobbruce said:

On the same theme I get 8 St. Helens born I bet both Widnes and Wigan will beat that comfortably. 

Looking at Wigan winners, Matty Smith, Jeff Lima, Gary Connelly, Jason Robinson, Dean Bell and Martin Offiah, six of the last seven Wigan players to win it, aren’t Wigan born. Radlinski the exception. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To claim Wigan born is not really comparable with Sharlston born.  To be the same you'd have to say Lower Ince, Higher Ince or Platt Bridge born. Sharlston is part of Wakefield Met, and off hand I can think of 6 other "Wakefield born" Lance Todd winners - Harold Poynton, David Topliss and David Hobbs, Steve Nash, Mal Reilly and Mark Aston.


“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trojan said:

To claim Wigan born is not really comparable with Sharlston born.  To be the same you'd have to say Lower Ince, Higher Ince or Platt Bridge born. Sharlston is part of Wakefield Met, and off hand I can think of 6 other "Wakefield born" Lance Todd winners - Harold Poynton, David Topliss and David Hobbs, Steve Nash, Mal Reilly and Mark Aston.

Mal was born very close to our friends in Barkston Ash.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of interest Wigan born I get 

McTigue

Collier

Ashby

Lydon

Gregory

Gregory

Long

Radlinski

Long

Long

so 10 with Helme x2 and Martyn both born in Leigh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...