Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

New club born in West Oxfordshire

1 hour ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Oh my God. Another false dawn. I went to watch Oxford and Oxford Cavaliers before that. I had hope for Oxford Cavaliers but it fizzled out. I never expected the Oxford semi-pro club to last. I won't be letting myself get excited about this one. My programme collection includes dozens and dozens from teams I have been to watch since 1971 that no longer exist. Everyone of them was heralded as a bright new dawn. Rl clubs are dying off in droves in the heartlands every season but we still have people that get excited when somebody tells them Santa is coming. More chance of a team succeeding from Brigadoon than Oxford.

Are you Tommy from ‘Early Doors’? 

• Haha 2

Even if they only last a few years (and im sure they'll last many more) at least it means 100s of kids are introduced to the game and many will be lifelong fans.   Well done to them.

• Like 8

I’ve had enough of people trying to start teams outside of the M62 corridor, and even worse trying to get kids playing the game - just who do they think they are?

• Haha 2

I like their moxie already!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

5 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

If you read this thread, it's pretty obvious that the biggest weakness of rugby league is rugby league fans. 

There is no RU fan that thinks less of the game than the people who comment on here. 

Their not fans mate.

Their clinically depressed at best and reptilian psychopaths at worst and they've attached themselves to our game like leeches.

Trying to find sustenance by sucking the life blood, out of genuine fans.

They have nothing positive to say about our great game.

We should connect them to the national grid and zap them with 40,000 volts for an hour or so,  then shake them off once and for all.

Exposing newcomers to the sport to these malevolent spirits is sure to drive them away. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

It that ginger haired lad from Halifax still involved? Can't remember his name but he was very passionate. I first saw them away at Ipswich Rhinos many years ago.

Bulldog/Mark?

No idea but he was involved with the fans bus/minibus at Oxford RL..

• Like 1

I don’t get people who have such little appetite for the sport but still have the time to come on forums to tell us the end of the world is nigh. It’s like some of the letters to League Express announcing to no one in particular that they are done with the sport, like anyone cares what a stranger doesn’t want to do any more. Weird. 
A new club in Oxfordshire - what’s not to like? I love this sport!

• Like 4

On 29/10/2019 at 21:09, Futtocks said:

I like their moxie already!

We, bearing in mind I live in Oxfordshire, have now moved from being Cavaliers  to Roundheads? Seems an identity crisis. And it's a double identity crisis since Cromwell, as indicated by the roundhead logo, executed a number of levellers.

And the Leveller Movement ended in disaster.  Good luck to the endeavour nevertheless. But it looks like a silly nickname.

40 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

And it's a double identity crisis since Cromwell, as indicated by the roundhead logo, executed a number of levellers.

In West Oxfordshire of course though...

If I was  going to put a rugby league club down in Oxfordshire though (as a resident of the county) I'd be aiming for East Oxford city or North Oxfordshire - personally and demographically... Best of luck to them of course though, I'll try and get over and have a look before too long,

Actually, now I've read the RLW article I see that the Cavs have moved to North Oxon, which I didn't know, so fair enough. Still seems a bit of a sell to the West Oxon natives but good luck and he's obviously a man with a (doable) plan.

To be fair to Celtic Roosters (apparently now plural), he had to pause his usual rants while Salford were en route to the Grand Final, so has a lot of pent-up frustration to get out of his system.

• Haha 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

54 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

We, bearing in mind I live in Oxfordshire, have now moved from being Cavaliers  to Roundheads? Seems an identity crisis. And it's a double identity crisis since Cromwell, as indicated by the roundhead logo, executed a number of levellers.

And the Leveller Movement ended in disaster.  Good luck to the endeavour nevertheless. But it looks like a silly nickname.

i quite like the idea of a "civil War" match between the levellers and cavaliers.. 

to be fair if you look too closely at many "nicknames" you could find something wrong with them.

I still think "Luddites" is an under used name and would fit perfectly with many within the game :kolobok_ph34r:

15 minutes ago, RP London said:

i quite like the idea of a "civil War" match between the levellers and cavaliers.. 

to be fair if you look too closely at many "nicknames" you could find something wrong with them.

I still think "Luddites" is an under used name and would fit perfectly with many within the game :kolobok_ph34r:

I quite like "Levellers" - although there's a nod to the "dog on a string and special brew" aesthetic (which is presumably not what you want for a juniors team... 

• Haha 1

Just now, iffleyox said:

I quite like "Levellers" - although there's a nod to the "dog on a string and special brew" aesthetic (which is presumably not what you want for a juniors team... 

oh i dont know.. Special Brew is a better paint cleaner than terps so can always sell it to the junior teams as helping with their homework?

23 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

Only if you're of a certain age, surely?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, RP London said:

Well yes.  In a wider but probably only semi accurate claim I'd guess several who know me would say I am a luddite.

Oxford was the base of the Royalist armies so there is a connection with the Cavaliersl.  I'm not sure the term Levelers has much traction. 

As it happens I do remember the Oxford Sharks as well as the Cavaliers.

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Well yes.  In a wider but probably only semi accurate claim I'd guess several who know me would say I am a luddite.

Oxford was the base of the Royalist armies so there is a connection with the Cavaliersl.  I'm not sure the term Levelers has much traction. 

As it happens I do remember the Oxford Sharks as well as the Cavaliers.

I suppose it depends where they are based (i dont really know) as could be seen as a reference to the Banbury Mutineers who were part of the Leveller movement? 

(i wasnt implying you were a luddite but there are a few on here who would go around smashing anything new up just for the sake of it)

• Thanks 1

On 29/10/2019 at 21:52, fighting irish said:

Their not fans mate.

Their clinically depressed at best and reptilian psychopaths at worst and they've attached themselves to our game like leeches.

Trying to find sustenance by sucking the life blood, out of genuine fans.

They have nothing positive to say about our great game.

We should connect them to the national grid and zap them with 40,000 volts for an hour or so,  then shake them off once and for all.

Exposing newcomers to the sport to these malevolent spirits is sure to drive them away. 

If I'm not a fan why am I sat here looking at the 2006 fan of the year trophy for Celtic Crusaders, presented to me by John Devereux on the pitch at Brewery field, Bridgend at half time during the Wales .v. Scotland international? Truth is, I doubt very much if any of you posters on here have visited as many different RL grounds as me, travelled as many miles watching the game or watched as many games in total. I am all for expansion and I actively go and support expansion clubs, not just sit at my computer writing fantasy messages. I just know that I am wasting my time. I had great hopes for Cardiff City, Carlisle,Kent Invicta, Scarborough, Blackpool, Prescot and my beloved Celtic Crusaders and North Wales Crusaders but, after so many failures, I just don't get so excited about new clubs any more. London Broncos are doing a great job and Newcastle appear to be on the up because they are reasonably wealthy, whilst North Wales Crusaders supporters are keeping their club alive. For what it's worth I think North America is ripe for RL if Toronto can sustain carrying on without taking their share of the funding but that in its self is embarrassing for the game. The greatest game in the world is a minority sport. No real money, but I can get my entertainment watching lads who pay to play on a Saturday.

Edited by Celtic Roosters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Footage just in of Celtic Rooster going for a pre match pint. 

He's got more teeth than me and I usually wear a RL shirt at games, usually Aberavon Fighting Irish or Kilkenny Wildcats (If you see somebody wearing those at games it's probably me so come and buy me a Guinness). If you want to see a photo of me look through Maurice Bamford's books. I can't remember which one now but there is a photo of me and Maurice in one of them. If anybody has a spare copy I would like buy it from you. I loaned mine out to somebody in South Wales and never got it back.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

If I'm not a fan why am I sat here looking at the 2006 fan of the year trophy for Celtic Crusaders, presented to me by John Devereux on the pitch at Brewery field, Bridgend at half time during the Wales .v. Scotland international? Truth is, I doubt very much if any of you posters on here have visited as many different RL grounds as me, travelled as many miles watching the game or watched as many games in total. I am all for expansion and I actively go and support expansion clubs, not just sit at my computer writing fantasy messages. I just know that I am wasting my time. I had great hopes for Cardiff City, Carlisle,Kent Invicta, Scarborough, Blackpool, Prescot and my beloved Celtic Crusaders and North Wales Crusaders but, after so many failures, I just don't get so excited about new clubs any more. London Broncos are doing a great job and Newcastle appear to be on the up because they are reasonably wealthy, whilst North Wales Crusaders supporters are keeping their club alive. For what it's worth I think North America is ripe for RL if Toronto can sustain carrying on without taking their share of the funding but that in its self is embarrassing for the game. The greatest game in the world is a minority sport. No real money, but I can get my entertainment watching lads who pay to play on a Saturday.

I'm very sorry to hear that you think you're wasting your time.

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Oxford was the base of the Royalist armies so there is a connection with the Cavaliersl.  I'm not sure the term Levelers has much traction

Oxford was the Royalist HQ, the Levellers were executed in Burford churchyard, West Oxfordshire (admittedly by Parliament) - if you’re going to manufacture a rivalry through names I suppose it will sort of do 

Edited by iffleyox
  • Like 1