Hunslet away

Batley Bob

Lunt and bowman play?

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Last season we had a very ordinary side (being kind) with a lot blame put on the coach, this season we have lost Bretherton, Gledhill, Joufret, lillycrop, Downes, Smeaton and Hemingway, not all supporters favourites but what have we replaced them with? One recent super league player + players from lower placed sides.

Its going to be a long season

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

But Ernieone, everybody on here keeps saying we can't afford to get better!! So where do you pick up players except by targeting who you think are the better ones of the bunch below in the hope that they will improve, but at the same time knowing that actually there's no difference in standard and ability between the bottom 5 of the championship and Most of League 1, as proved today, and don't give me the 'it's only a friendly' spiel, games are there to be won and with the likes of Scott, JC, Leak, Lunt, Manning, Morton and Browny we should be experienced enough to pull it off. The only hope for us is the pulling back together of the once-famed Bulldog spirit where everybody punches well above their weight. Am I the only one who is rather underwhelmed at the trumpeted return of Karl Harrison? With his pull and contacts I expected it to provide some fair return.

3 hours ago, phildog said:

But Ernieone, everybody on here keeps saying we can't afford to get better!! So where do you pick up players except by targeting who you think are the better ones of the bunch below in the hope that they will improve, but at the same time knowing that actually there's no difference in standard and ability between the bottom 5 of the championship and Most of League 1, as proved today, and don't give me the 'it's only a friendly' spiel, games are there to be won and with the likes of Scott, JC, Leak, Lunt, Manning, Morton and Browny we should be experienced enough to pull it off. The only hope for us is the pulling back together of the once-famed Bulldog spirit where everybody punches well above their weight. Am I the only one who is rather underwhelmed at the trumpeted return of Karl Harrison? With his pull and contacts I expected it to provide some fair return.

I take it you didn't go PD?

4 hours ago, phildog said:

Karl Harrison can only advise on appropriate signings Phildog - he cannot fund them. IMO Featherstone have been a good model of how to progress as a Club on the playing front. Every year they improve the quality in their squad by reinvesting prize money into better quality players, thereby improving their league position/share of the spoils. Yes, there are some risks involved, but that is the nature of business/sport to remain competitive.

10 hours ago, ernieone said:

Last season we had a very ordinary side (being kind) with a lot blame put on the coach, this season we have lost Bretherton, Gledhill, Joufret, lillycrop, Downes, Smeaton and Hemingway, not all supporters favourites but what have we replaced them with? One recent super league player + players from lower placed sides.

Its going to be a long season

Who says we’ve lost gledhill , Ernie 

IMG_0583.JPG

Yes gledders is showing interest in a return alongside cropper

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

In fairness, it isn't the forwards that particularly concerns me. I reckon the pack is capable of competing and holding its own with most teams in the division.

The back line however, sadly look like they are mid to bottom of the table in league 1 standard. Even the ultra reliable Scott has started to look shaky under the high balls, it seemed to start at the back end of last season and has continued in to this, where he is dropping at least one per game. A couple of seasons ago, it was nearly worthy of a flag day if he dropped one in the season. Let's hope he can regain his confidence quickly. 

From what I've seen so far, Graham's post about needing 3 players looks a bit generous on what we have, we look to need at least 4 or 5 new players from what I've seen so far.

On a brighter note, I thought Flynn went well.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 08:50, Bulldog Days said:

Karl Harrison can only advise on appropriate signings Phildog - he cannot fund them. IMO Featherstone have been a good model of how to progress as a Club on the playing front. Every year they improve the quality in their squad by reinvesting prize money into better quality players, thereby improving their league position/share of the spoils. Yes, there are some risks involved, but that is the nature of business/sport to remain competitive.

What a load of tosh Bulldog days. Featherstone have sold their soul in pursuit of the so called super league golden egg. They are now the Leeds rhinos reserve team . The worst part of that is they almost achieved promotion on the back of it. Remember when we played at their place last season. They allegedly signed 2 players from Leeds   + three DR from Leeds then to cap it all had a Huddersfield and a Cas !st team player to boot that made seven. Sorry I remember Fev when they produced their own. To finish where do you think Broadbent our on loan centre last season is playing this year. Yes you have it Rovers.

12 hours ago, Graham Greaves said:

What a load of tosh Bulldog days. Featherstone have sold their soul in pursuit of the so called super league golden egg. They are now the Leeds rhinos reserve team . The worst part of that is they almost achieved promotion on the back of it. Remember when we played at their place last season. They allegedly signed 2 players from Leeds   + three DR from Leeds then to cap it all had a Huddersfield and a Cas !st team player to boot that made seven. Sorry I remember Fev when they produced their own. To finish where do you think Broadbent our on loan centre last season is playing this year. Yes you have it Rovers.

There is a certain amount of 'soul selling' involved Graham, but in modern day sport and rugby league you can still retain a community spirit whilst showing some ambition and positivity by using all means to hand to improve the playing personnel, including ploughing money back into that area.

12 hours ago, Graham Greaves said:

One way to look at this Graham. While ever they are getting Leeds Rhinos players in they are leaving Batley and Dewsbury players alone ?

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 11:45, Bulldog Days said:

There is a certain amount of 'soul selling' involved Graham, but in modern day sport and rugby league you can still retain a community spirit whilst showing some ambition and positivity by using all means to hand to improve the playing personnel, including ploughing money back into that area.

I agree on some of your points Bulldog but as a little add on to the Featherstone story do you remember a couple of seasons ago when Fev could not even put a team out to fulfil fixtures as the super league teams providing their players needed them and Fev and Leigh playing a cup final had to beg steal and borrow to play the fixture. Disgraceful. Whatever happened to producing and having your own players. 

Archived