The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

He went to Toronto for the money and he wants to stay there for the money.

I can't think of any reason why LiVolsi should be trusted and I hope he is told no thank you.

I'd be more than happy for them to be replaced by Toulouse where the whole thing is built on firmer foundations.

You are aware that money is the motivation for everything in professional sports, right?

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fashion is immensely powerful. Alongside sport its the new religion. Combining the two is a majorly powerful force.

You just need to look at the caps people are wearing to see how that works... the New York Yankees must make a fortune out of all the caps you see with their logo on 

46 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So very true, my job took me into offices all over the country and I was never slow in coming forward in wanting to spread the RL gospel,  would it surprise you how many could not distinguish or even didn't realise there were two forms of rugby!

But the most galling part was the total apathy and complete ignorance of lots and lots of people right in what we describe as the 'Heartlands'. 

Wow, Harry and I just agreed on something!!! That's a first. Maybe there is hope for peace in the Middle East. 😄😄

17 minutes ago, RP London said:

You just need to look at the caps people are wearing to see how that works... the New York Yankees must make a fortune out of all the caps you see with their logo on 

I put it on the ISC pulling out thread but virtually every football shirt by top brands like Adidas Nike etc that you see being released now are released as fashion items as much as sport kits. Often the release includes just the shirt now not even the full kit. 

Even ISCs own tagline was "look good feel good play good" or something.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I put it on the ISC pulling out thread but virtually every football shirt by top brands like Adidas Nike etc that you see being released now are released as fashion items as much as sport kits. Often the release includes just the shirt now not even the full kit. 

Even ISCs own tagline was "look good feel good play good" or something.

Got to hope whoever came up with that tagline was sent back to re sit GCSE English!

I seem to remember the reason England had the grey away shirt in 1996 was because it looked good with Jeans.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

So very true, my job took me into offices all over the country and I was never slow in coming forward in wanting to spread the RL gospel,  would it surprise you how many could not distinguish or even didn't realise there were two forms of rugby!

But the most galling part was the total apathy and complete ignorance of lots and lots of people right in what we describe as the 'Heartlands'. 

Quite a few posters have mentioned having that experience in trying to spread the RL gospel.  The sport seriously needs a way to break through all that lack of awareness.

32 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

BUT WE STILL HAVE ALOT MORE TO GIVE.

G`day Kayakman, I was wondering whether there was much attempt by TWP in its first incarnation to engage with fans much outside the game day experience ? Was there any attempt to establish Touch or Tag comps to introduce people into playing Rugby League?

Was there , if you are aware , attempts to introduce the game into schools, modified versions of the game are a good way to introduce kids and adults into playing RL, some may then want to go onto play the tackle version.

One other thing , do you yourself live in the Toronto region?

5 minutes ago, RP London said:

Got to hope whoever came up with that tagline was sent back to re sit GCSE English!

I seem to remember the reason England had the grey away shirt in 1996 was because it looked good with Jeans.

Tbf they are an Australian company 😉 it wasn't exactly that though haha!

Exactly, but "tHeY aReN't SuPpOrTeRs ItS oNlY fOr FaShIon".

That attitude is a shame because my Superdry made "fashion heritage shirt" is a real classic. RL and Rugby in general has some classic designs and fashionable looks. The old adidas KR or Trin shirts are very nice for example. Its a bit more "grown up" fashion than an NBA vest I'll admit but its still an area of growth.

42 minutes ago, RP London said:

I hate the Yankees. Go Jays!

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

G`day Kayakman, I was wondering whether there was much attempt by TWP in its first incarnation to engage with fans much outside the game day experience ? Was there any attempt to establish Touch or Tag comps to introduce people into playing Rugby League?

Was there , if you are aware , attempts to introduce the game into schools, modified versions of the game are a good way to introduce kids and adults into playing RL, some may then want to go onto play the tackle version.

One other thing , do you yourself live in the Toronto region?

Well there were attempts and a few of the bigger Union clubs were involved with kids playing during halftime etc., so it was beginning to catch but as you will appreciate this takes time.  There are a few local teams etc. and it was starting to work its way into some youth sides.

As posted previously with Lamport Life I had to state it out for him about the schools.   There was a nasty strike last year with sports suspended.  To get into the highschools it has to be approved by the various regulatory bodies etc. and this is a long complicated process with insurance companies etc having a say.  Since the strike the Covid has come in and all highschool sports are suspended until further notice.   The success of the Wolfpack was driving this and progress was looking good but of course 'the troubles' have put a kink into that.   The Ottawa area is more set up to get youth involved if the Union clubs get onside....there is great potential in Ottawa for growth (both male and female).

I would never live in the Toronto area under any circumstances whatsoever....no amount of money could entice me there....I need big open spaces with few people or I would go insane....a daily dose of nature is to me like food to a normal person.

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Well there were attempts and a few of the bigger Union clubs were involved with kids playing during halftime etc., so it was beginning to catch but as you will appreciate this takes time.  There are a few local teams etc. and it was starting to work its way into some youth sides.

As posted previously with Lamport Life I had to state it out for him about the schools.   There was a nasty strike last year with sports suspended.  To get into the highschools it has to be approved by the various regulatory bodies etc. and this is a long complicated process with insurance companies etc having a say.  Since the strike the Covid has come in and all highschool sports are suspended until further notice.   The success of the Wolfpack was driving this and progress was looking good but of course 'the troubles' have put a kink into that.   The Ottawa area is more set up to get youth involved if the Union clubs get onside....there is great potential in Ottawa for growth (both male and female).

I would never live in the Toronto area under any circumstances whatsoever....no amount of money could entice me there....I need big open spaces with few people or I would go insane....a daily dose of nature is to me like food to a normal person.

Thanks for your detailed response K`man,  I have to admit I was a bit shocked when you mentioned kids playing union at half time, but I suppose if there is no established League teams, having the crowd watch at least something similar is better than nothing. And sounds like the `bug` put a stop to schools stuff at least for a while.

The thing that kind of surprises me though K`man, with them big crowds they were getting, why wouldn`t the club be handing out fliers to everyone who attended about coming down to a RL clinic or maybe setting up even just Tag or Touch comps just to capitalise on that interest. I can`t help but think If they had got SBW down to some sort of intro day they could have really pulled a crowd. Over here in OZ Touch/Tag is massive and it gives people an extra connection to a club and the sport.

I know what you mean about open spaces K`, I grew up on a farm and soon as I had kids moved straight back up here so they could grow up in the fresh air and open spaces. You can`t beat it. The reason I ask though about Toronto though because I reckon you would be an excellent person to development work for TWP, in schools or running TTRL comps. You should seriously think about getting your referees license for starters. Won`t go on, but love your enthusiasm, Regards Rocket.

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

Thanks for your detailed response K`man,  I have to admit I was a bit shocked when you mentioned kids playing union at half time, but I suppose if there is no established League teams, having the crowd watch at least something similar is better than nothing. And sounds like the `bug` put a stop to schools stuff at least for a while.

The thing that kind of surprises me though K`man, with them big crowds they were getting, why wouldn`t the club be handing out fliers to everyone who attended about coming down to a RL clinic or maybe setting up even just Tag or Touch comps just to capitalise on that interest. I can`t help but think If they had got SBW down to some sort of intro day they could have really pulled a crowd. Over here in OZ Touch/Tag is massive and it gives people an extra connection to a club and the sport.

I know what you mean about open spaces K`, I grew up on a farm and soon as I had kids moved straight back up here so they could grow up in the fresh air and open spaces. You can`t beat it. The reason I ask though about Toronto though because I reckon you would be an excellent person to development work for TWP, in schools or running TTRL comps. You should seriously think about getting your referees license for starters. Won`t go on, but love your enthusiasm, Regards Rocket.

You missed my point totally in the first paragraph...its the Old RL mindset that creates a tunnel vision (not your fault).  What I meant was that large Union clubs were having the kids play LEAGUE...we were slowly tuning over the Union supporters to the superior code!...its was the Union sides/clubs playing League at halftime!  The progression would be full adult sides playing soon (mens and womens).

The club was handing out flyers etc. and doing everything you state in your second paragraph (plus lots more).

I've seriously thought about what you said in para 3...I previously did it for this region for Union many years back (also in some other places also)....but all highschool sports/development are on permanent hold at the moment....who knows what the future holds?

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

You missed my point totally in the first paragraph...its the Old RL mindset that creates a tunnel vision (not your fault).  What I meant was that large Union clubs were having the kids play LEAGUE...we were slowly tuning over the Union supporters to the superior code!...its was the Union sides/clubs playing League at halftime!  The progression would be full adult sides playing soon (mens and womens).

The club was handing out flyers etc. and doing everything you state in your second paragraph (plus lots more).

I've seriously thought about what you said in para 3...I previously did it for this region for Union many years back (also in some other places also)....but all highschool sports/development are on permanent hold at the moment....who knows what the future holds?

(1st para) Wow! Man that is f...ing amazing. Crikey I sound like Cheech and Chong !! 

In OZ , there are 680 000 people who play the non contact version of the game and 170 000 who play tackle. As you can see a lot of people like the sport but for whatever reason don`t want to play tackle. And let`s face it it is a bloody tough game. So TTRL are great ways to get people involved without necessarily having to go the whole hog. And of course some people will want to then come over to the tackle version.

That second paragraph sounds fantastic. I hear from so many different sources about the fantastic response TWP got and from the way it is portrayed on here it is like they were doing absolutely nothing for the game.

You should have a look at the RFL website, there is a lot of on line courses and stuff. Bloke like you to get in on the ground floor at a new sporting organisation  could be very rewarding. Anyway enough talk, I will let you guys get back to your banter. Rocket.

6 hours ago, RP London said:

Yes , they dump old out of date stock into Europe , much like we had a shop in Ashton in Maker field full of old stock Aussie RL shirts 30 odd years ago 

It obviously works given the massive upsurge in Baseball in the UK and Europe ? , 😂

44 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , they dump old out of date stock into Europe , much like we had a shop in Ashton in Maker field full of old stock Aussie RL shirts 30 odd years ago 

It obviously works given the massive upsurge in Baseball in the UK and Europe ? , 😂

NFL shop europe is all the latest gear. Sainsburys do a range of clothes for the London series every year,

Its amazing how many people are walking round with american sports clothes on.

Next rugby game you go and fingers crossed thats soon look around and there will be several with the bob caps/ baseball caps!

11 minutes ago, yipyee said:

NFL shop europe is all the latest gear. Sainsburys do a range of clothes for the London series every year,

Next rugby game you go and fingers crossed thats soon look around and there will be several with the bob caps/ baseball caps!

You didn't comment on my last line ?

12 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Yes NFL shop Europe sell the latest ' gear ' , and loads of other stuff is dumped into Europe , where people buy and wear it without even knowing or caring what sport it is from 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes NFL shop Europe sell the latest ' gear ' , and loads of other stuff is dumped into Europe , where people buy and wear it without even knowing or caring what sport it is from 

Money for old rope although clearly people know what sport its from, maybe not which third world country its made in mind

6 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Money for old rope although clearly people know what sport its from, maybe not which third world country its made in mind

No people clearly don't , often a question on various TV quiz programmes , rarely do they get it right 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

No people clearly don't , often a question on various TV quiz programmes , rarely do they get it right 

What you on about? Did the people on the fictional quiz show have a yankees hat on and was asked a question about the yankees?

On another thread only like 16 or 19 pointless answers on a RL question FFS

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

What you on about? Did the people on the fictional quiz show have a yankees hat on and was asked a question about the yankees?

On another thread only like 16 or 19 pointless answers on a RL question FFS

As I put , that's why we have a massive upsurge in Baseball 😂

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So UK RL clubs a massively missing out due to NYY ' gear ' ? 😂

Every Yankees cap sold is one less possible Saints or Giants cap bought. It all adds up. Especially now that baseball caps have become ubiquitous, worn everywhere by everyone.

And admit it, who doesn't have half-a-dozen different caps hanging up somewhere?

Archived