Sign in to follow this  
graveyard johnny

chinese animal/food markets

someone showed me a video today of filming at one of these places , I have never been so repulsed and disgusted at footage from anywhere in my entire life, I could barely look at the footage of dogs, cats, snakes, bats and god knows what else been treated so cruel by so called humans, the dogs were alive in cages ready to be thrown on the grill , floors full of filth , no hygiene , well as I said - could hardly bare to watch it- china needs taking to task and now , what an awful country this must be to have mindset that thinks this is normal 

• Like 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

9 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

someone showed me a video today of filming at one of these places , I have never been so repulsed and disgusted at footage from anywhere in my entire life, I could barely look at the footage of dogs, cats, snakes, bats and god knows what else been treated so cruel by so called humans, the dogs were alive in cages ready to be thrown on the grill , floors full of filth , no hygiene , well as I said - could hardly bare to watch it- china needs taking to task and now , what an awful country this must be to have mindset that thinks this is normal 

They are currently banned.  They got banned after SARS too, but local traditions/money slowly prevailed.  Not sure they will be back after this.

Bush meat in Africa is also a source of nasty viruses.  

• Sad 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

They are currently banned.  They got banned after SARS too, but local traditions/money slowly prevailed.  Not sure they will be back after this.

Bush meat in Africa is also a source of nasty viruses.  

I doubt the tradition will have just disappeared, pushed in to the underground and back rooms in side streets , its time to wake up to how we treat nature cos its coming back to bite us big style now

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

I was in Wuhan in 2016 and yes, it is not the cleanest of places - here are some photos ....

386489999_4Wuhan(1).thumb.JPG.bf5d9b283393bdcd80d5df8d0537ec16.JPG2073695641_4Wuhan(2).thumb.JPG.ba94b684dd18628dcea1cc5064f31fbf.JPG2133016751_4Wuhan(3).thumb.JPG.02a1cc1769636d59669d33a5a691115c.JPG

I've been to Hong Kong many times and the markets are pretty disgusting. I've seen snakes decapitated and they still wriggle about. Other animals are slaughtered in the market and then taken away to people's homes. I 've not been to mainland China but I would imagine it has even lower standards of hygiene!

1 hour ago, bazzzz65 said:

I've been to Hong Kong many times and the markets are pretty disgusting. I've seen snakes decapitated and they still wriggle about. Other animals are slaughtered in the market and then taken away to people's homes. I 've not been to mainland China but I would imagine it has even lower standards of hygiene!

In the main cities of China it's OK but when you go to the more remote places then it becomes less hygienic.

The most outlandish I have seen was "duck egg fetus" (crack open an egg and eat the pre-born chick inside) or "beating snake's heart" (kill a snake and immediately cut out the heart; put it in a drink and swallow it while still beating).

• Sad 1

On 18/03/2020 at 16:30, graveyard johnny said:

This is what will happen in this country if the vegans win.

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

On 19/03/2020 at 07:45, RL does what Sky says said:

In the main cities of China it's OK but when you go to the more remote places then it becomes less hygienic.

The most outlandish I have seen was "duck egg fetus" (crack open an egg and eat the pre-born chick inside) or "beating snake's heart" (kill a snake and immediately cut out the heart; put it in a drink and swallow it while still beating).

I’ve had whisky mixed with some goo squeezed out of a cobra. A bit gross really.

This is the menu on the wall of a Chinese restaurant in Indonesia.. it has python, monkey, monitor lizard, bat plus a few other things. Snakes were killed fresh in front of the customer.

20,000 rupiah is roughly £1. So fried cobra is £1.

£3.4 for the fried monkey.

C88A372F-9BAF-4239-A7F5-70498376EF79.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’ve had whisky mixed with some goo squeezed out of a cobra. A bit gross really.

This is the menu on the wall of a Chinese restaurant in Indonesia.. it has python, monkey, monitor lizard, bat plus a few other things. Snakes were killed fresh in front of the customer.

20,000 rupiah is roughly £1. So fried cobra is £1.

£3.4 for the fried monkey.

C88A372F-9BAF-4239-A7F5-70498376EF79.jpeg

I see that every dish says "Goreng" ... that probably means "Only serve it to the ENGlish".

2 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I see that every dish says "Goreng" ... that probably means "Only serve it to the ENGlish".

Goreng means “fried”.

So monyet goreng means fried monkey.

It was nowhere near any tourist trail. It was a locals only place. They’d just had a live python delivered and it was in a bag in the middle of the restaurant.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Copa said:

Goreng means “fried”.

It was nowhere near any tourist trail. It was a locals only place. They’d just had a live python delivered and it was in a bag in the middle of the restaurant.

So just like the locals in Wigan .... a large meal there is a "pie-athon". 😉

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Copa said:

Goreng means “fried”.

Where was it?

The meat markets in North Sulawesi offer some mysterious fayre of different shapes and sizes. Usually with skin charred making identification difficult. 

Locally, here in the south, pet dogs which are surplus to requirements are the plat du jour.  If sold it's known as RW or neighbourhood meat.  Wild boar is more of a delicacy.  

Yorkshire show had a long que for the squirrel pie/mouse stew/shark or gator burger. i tried the kangaroo burger and it was super, ostridge seemed to be the best seller on the day.any worse.

23 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Where was it?

The meat markets in North Sulawesi offer some mysterious fayre of different shapes and sizes. Usually with skin charred making identification difficult. 

Locally, here in the south, pet dogs which are surplus to requirements are the plat du jour.  If sold it's known as RW or neighbourhood meat.  Wild boar is more of a delicacy.  

Bandung.

I’ve had some great buffalo in Sulawesi, satay horse in Java and all sorts of mystery meats elsewhere..

4 minutes ago, silverback said:

Yorkshire show had a long que for the squirrel pie/mouse stew/shark or gator burger. i tried the kangaroo burger and it was super, ostridge seemed to be the best seller on the day.any worse.

We get kangaroo as a regular meat in many of our supermarkets .. mostly steak or mince. I like it.

I went to a restaurant in Thailand that had a bear in a cage and a pit of spitting cobras..... that was weird. Not sure what was gonna happen to the bear. I’d previously eaten black bear in the US.

• Like 1