Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wiltshire Rhino

Growing up "back in the day"

Recommended Posts

who went chumping? and slept in bonfire stack to keep guard all night so nobody nicked yer old doors, thinga the past now chumping as fumes were too strong for snowflakes.:kolobok_punish: they used to have a massive bonfire up park and on a morning of the fire they used to set up a big spit with a full ox on it, it went round all day until about 7 at night and you got a big sarnie for a bob. could you do that today who knows. it had a que all way to bottom of park gates.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

Running down 't'bonk and t'buttress to school and then walking up again after. Usually with some spogs to keep us happy. One day hafway up t'buttress getting stopped by some older lads who wanted my Action Man stars. They weren't avin' em, so they kept my mate hostage until they gave up.

Yes, my stars were probably worth more than friendship. And wasn't I reminded of it....

Spogs and spice. My kids love these old words. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Damien said:

We used to play that too but called it knifey. Also everyone seemed to have some sort of pen knife back then. All innocent and used for making things like dens and bow and arrows from tree branches and string. Nothing like why people have them today!

We used to call it chicken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

We used to call it chicken.

Chicken for us was an entirely different game involving running across roads as cars came.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, silverback said:

and slept in bonfire stack to keep guard all night so nobody nicked yer old doors, thinga the past now chumping as fumes were too strong for snowflakes.:kolobok_punish: they used to have a massive bonfire up park and on a morning of the fire they used to set up a big spit with a full ox on it, it went round all day until about 7 at night and you got a big sarnie for a bob. could you do that today who knows. it had a que all way to bottom of park gates.

I was just about to say raiding other kids bonfires.

We used to have a massive one that often consisted of wood we'd nicked form other bonfires not mention anything else that folk hadn't secured once we'd start our collecting phase.

Edited by Vambo

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vambo said:

I was just about to say raiding other kids bonfires.

We used to have a massive one that often consisted of wood we'd nicked form other bonfires not mention anything else that folk hadn't secured once we'd start our collecting phase.

you wouldent have got owt from ours, we had a den in middle and a look out tower,even table inside to have our pop and sarnies as we were in for the long haul,

 plus we had cumming,s brothers to help and theres a lot of em.lol.:kolobok_punish:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

swarms of kids in a playground playing bulldog , the bigger kids putting big hits in like Adrian morley 

  • Like 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

swarms of kids in a CONCRETE playground playing bulldog , the bigger kids putting big hits in like Adrian morley 

Edited for accuracy 

  • Like 1

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2020 at 21:25, GUBRATS said:

Alf Tupper 

I still have some of his 'ware'!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2020 at 21:32, Mister Ting said:

Action Man stormtrooper uniform.

I still wear mine to fancy dress parties, especially if I think that Prince Harry might be there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2020 at 03:18, Damien said:

Chicken for us was an entirely different game involving running across roads as cars came.

There was a pretty good hill by us where we'd combine that with sledging in winter.  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...