Sign in to follow this  
Wiltshire Rhino

Happy Wiltshire Day

Thanks for the thread, Wiltshire Rhino.

I must confess, I had overlooked the fact that it is Wiltshire Day today. 

No cider, I'm afraid, but some Wiltshire brewed real ale.  Today, I have made my - by now - regular, lockdown Friday 'drinks' run to get fresh, full-fat farm milk from a dispensing machine at Nunton (just off the Salisbury -  Bournemouth road) and four pints of beer from the off licence at Downton Brewery.

I shall raise a glass shortly to the great bustard!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I've often been told that part me of me is wilted ... does that make me a part moonraker ?

A semi-moonraker ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I have checked to see what Wiltshire is famous for ......

Wiltshire is famous for its ham, white horses and, above all, for its many prehistoric monuments. In fact, it's got more than any other county in England.

Well, we in here are all aware of the Dragon and the Rhino.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wiltshire is known for chalk hills in the south and rich pasture dairy land in the north, and cheese production was once a well established part of Wiltshire life. Wiltshire is where the phrase "as different as chalk and cheese" ordinates from. 

If you like your cheese and you'd like to try the Wiltshire Loaf...

https://www.brinkworthdairy.co.uk/product/wiltshire-loaf/

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I have checked to see what Wiltshire is famous for ......

Wiltshire is famous for its ham, white horses and, above all, for its many prehistoric monuments. In fact, it's got more than any other county in England.

Well, we in here are all aware of the Dragon and the Rhino.

The point about prehistoric monuments is particularly well made; we've got 'em by the barrow-load.

I'll get my hat and coat...

While I am very happy for you, we should also praise the bigger picture.

Being from Wiltshire is not OK. Nor is Swindon, nor being from Swindon.

I write this as a friend. Unless you are from Wilshire. Or Sweden, #dirtySweden.

• Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

It’s also got a lovely cathedral which is especially popular with Russian agents 

8 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

While I am very happy for you, we should also praise the bigger picture.

Being from Wiltshire is not OK. Nor is Swindon, nor being from Swindon.

I write this as a friend. Unless you are from Wilshire. Or Sweden, #dirtySweden.

Jealousy is a terrible thing Bob. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Jealousy is a terrible thing Bob. ?

That post smells of Swindon.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It’s also got a lovely cathedral which is especially popular with Russian agents 

Thanks for mentioning that, David.  I didn't as it would seem as though I was bias, which, as I work there two days a week (in 'normal' times!), of course I am!

Credit where it's due; the Russian agents had done their homework, and knew it had the tallest spire in the country!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

That post smells of Swindon.

My favourite Swindon anecdote relates to the time a few years ago when I was approaching my 65th birthday and wondering about the practicalities of getting an old fogey's travel pass, so went on the Wiltshire County Council website.  At the time, bus pass schemes were a local matter, with the format determined by each local authority charged with the responsibility.  The Wiltshire website helpfully noted that "the pass can be used throughout Wiltshire (this includes Swindon)"

Then the government standardised the offer and made sure that there was a scheme in all parts of England (though there may have been already) and hence, although it was still your local authority that issued and funded the pass, it could be used throughout the country.

Some bright spark at County Hall, Trowbridge, opted for minimal change to the Wiltshire website, which, when I revisited it, now read "the pass can be used throughout England (this includes Swindon)".  I was really grateful for this clarification!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

...the pass can be used throughout England (this includes Swindon)".  I was really grateful for this clarification!

We're very exclusive up here in the North of the Shire ?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks for mentioning that, David.  I didn't as it would seem as though I was bias, which, as I work there two days a week (in 'normal' times!), of course I am!

Credit where it's due; the Russian agents had done their homework, and knew it had the tallest spire in the country!

Since when known as a spy-re !

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

You sure it's not Swinton ?

People from Swinton have no idea how rubbish things can be. Because, they have not been to Swindon.

Just now, Johnoco said:

Are The Wurzels from Wiltshire? 
if so, it’s not all bad.

I am the first to stick up for Wiltshire whenever it would have done anything good.

But, no, not even them.

• Haha 1

Supergrass were from near there? Perhaps?

Just now, RL does what Sky says said:

Supergrass ?  Are you talking about those spies again ?

You are right. Not even them.

Well, look I am sure there are many wonderful things to be said about Wiltshire that just happen not to be true.

• Haha 1