Scrumless

saddleworth

Some of the suggestions being made are just ludicrous. A tap restart, as we now do after a 40/20, makes logical sense.

The notion that a scrum takes 12 players out of the game so enabling the backs to have more space is really not in evidence in most games. I like the restarting the 6 tackles has its merits but I feel the 6 "new" tackles should be added to what remains from the previous six tackles. Unfortunately, some referees would find that difficult and holding a whistle at the same time.

Your suggestion that a scrum doesn't take 12 players out of a game is also ludicrous. When the ball come out of a scrum the twelve are mostly still together. A quick passing movement would take the ball at least 15 yards from them and they wouldn't be there to tackle as they would be in just a tap with no restriction. 

Could be good for the game, but as far as the rest of this season goes it will probably better suit those sides with a lighter, faster and fitter, pack of forwards, and squads are already built and paid for so some may be disadvantaged. 

Just now, jamescolin said:

Sorry the computer went wrong. What I was trying to say was without some sort of a scrum with the forwards gathered together then we are going to have 13 v 13 all the game in every circumstance. That means mainly forwards five scuffles and a kick every time and very little rugby. I still think when a scrum is called  for a knock on a forward pass etc that there should be a substitute way of gathering the forwards together. Make the game less of a slog out with more open play.. 

Another thought. IF we have no scrums and a tap to restart how about reducing teams to 11 players and having just 2 substitutes. That way there would still be open play and no tight binding amongst players.

Which Union do you belong to Andrew?  You will be asking for 8 forwards next. Nearly as bad as that suggestion that RU were going down to 13 players. Was there any more on that does anyone know? Hope you are keeping well also Andrew.

On 28/06/2020 at 17:58, jamescolin said:

Which Union do you belong to Andrew?  You will be asking for 8 forwards next. Nearly as bad as that suggestion that RU were going down to 13 players. Was there any more on that does anyone know? Hope you are keeping well also Andrew.

Colin there used to be line outs in Rugby League, they were eliminated just after the turn of the 20th century. 

Not too bad, yourself? 

The talk of scrums or no scrums is pretty pointless.The Championship Clubs are almost equally split on when or if the Season will resume.The can keeps getting kicked down the road so before long there will not be enough time left to restart with meaningfull fixtures.It is quite obvious that Super League will not have relegation this season.How could they with teams having to surrender Home advantage to play at a neutral ground.Hope i am wrong because i miss my Rugby League but i fear this season may have to be written off.

9 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

Colin there used to be line outs in Rugby League, they were eliminated just after the turn of the 20th century. 

Not too bad, yourself? 

Ticking over. As one of my staff used to say. Middling to ######. One day I am cold and the next boiling. Cheers. 

15 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

The talk of scrums or no scrums is pretty pointless.The Championship Clubs are almost equally split on when or if the Season will resume.The can keeps getting kicked down the road so before long there will not be enough time left to restart with meaningfull fixtures.It is quite obvious that Super League will not have relegation this season.How could they with teams having to surrender Home advantage to play at a neutral ground.Hope i am wrong because i miss my Rugby League but i fear this season may have to be written off.

I think the Wakefield and 5 towns area is one of the next down the list after Leicester. We'll be lucky if there's not another imminent local lockdown TBF. 

Archived