Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
saddleworth

Scrumless

Recommended Posts

Some of the suggestions being made are just ludicrous. A tap restart, as we now do after a 40/20, makes logical sense.

The notion that a scrum takes 12 players out of the game so enabling the backs to have more space is really not in evidence in most games. I like the restarting the 6 tackles has its merits but I feel the 6 "new" tackles should be added to what remains from the previous six tackles. Unfortunately, some referees would find that difficult and holding a whistle at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your suggestion that a scrum doesn't take 12 players out of a game is also ludicrous. When the ball come out of a scrum the twelve are mostly still together. A quick passing movement would take the ball at least 15 yards from them and they wouldn't be there to tackle as they would be in just a tap with no restriction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be good for the game, but as far as the rest of this season goes it will probably better suit those sides with a lighter, faster and fitter, pack of forwards, and squads are already built and paid for so some may be disadvantaged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jamescolin said:

Sorry the computer went wrong. What I was trying to say was without some sort of a scrum with the forwards gathered together then we are going to have 13 v 13 all the game in every circumstance. That means mainly forwards five scuffles and a kick every time and very little rugby. I still think when a scrum is called  for a knock on a forward pass etc that there should be a substitute way of gathering the forwards together. Make the game less of a slog out with more open play.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thought. IF we have no scrums and a tap to restart how about reducing teams to 11 players and having just 2 substitutes. That way there would still be open play and no tight binding amongst players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which Union do you belong to Andrew?  You will be asking for 8 forwards next. Nearly as bad as that suggestion that RU were going down to 13 players. Was there any more on that does anyone know? Hope you are keeping well also Andrew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/06/2020 at 17:58, jamescolin said:

Which Union do you belong to Andrew?  You will be asking for 8 forwards next. Nearly as bad as that suggestion that RU were going down to 13 players. Was there any more on that does anyone know? Hope you are keeping well also Andrew.

Colin there used to be line outs in Rugby League, they were eliminated just after the turn of the 20th century. 

 

Not too bad, yourself? 

Edited by Andrew Vause

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

    The talk of scrums or no scrums is pretty pointless.The Championship Clubs are almost equally split on when or if the Season will resume.The can keeps getting kicked down the road so before long there will not be enough time left to restart with meaningfull fixtures.It is quite obvious that Super League will not have relegation this season.How could they with teams having to surrender Home advantage to play at a neutral ground.Hope i am wrong because i miss my Rugby League but i fear this season may have to be written off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

Colin there used to be line outs in Rugby League, they were eliminated just after the turn of the 20th century. 

 

Not too bad, yourself? 

Ticking over. As one of my staff used to say. Middling to ######. One day I am cold and the next boiling. Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

    The talk of scrums or no scrums is pretty pointless.The Championship Clubs are almost equally split on when or if the Season will resume.The can keeps getting kicked down the road so before long there will not be enough time left to restart with meaningfull fixtures.It is quite obvious that Super League will not have relegation this season.How could they with teams having to surrender Home advantage to play at a neutral ground.Hope i am wrong because i miss my Rugby League but i fear this season may have to be written off.

I think the Wakefield and 5 towns area is one of the next down the list after Leicester. We'll be lucky if there's not another imminent local lockdown TBF. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/07/2020 at 00:37, Andrew Vause said:

I think the Wakefield and 5 towns area is one of the next down the list after Leicester. We'll be lucky if there's not another imminent local lockdown TBF. 

Whatever gave you that idea ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...