The demise of the forum

Andrew Vause

Having recently had time, through work restrictions to revisit the forum I've noticed how, shall we say impotent it has become. As a non Facebook user is it different media that has superceded it?

When I joined in 2006 , Rovers in the equivalent of the 3rd division then were ranging 600-1200 home fans, yet the forum was thronging with debate, humour, nostalgia, hope and rumour.

But why so little activity now?

Well, plenty have moved on to Facebook, for better or worse. There's an official club FB page that people can comment on, plus several fans' FB pages. In 2006 this forum was probably the only game in town if you wanted to discuss Fev. I think this page is probably widely seen as a bit old-fashioned, and certainly you get the impression the average age of people on here is fairly high.

Personally I still like this format as you can actually have a proper discussion - if you post more than a couple of lines on a FB group it looks a bit out of place. People like their discussions a bit snappier these days, hence the popularity of Twitter (which also features a large congregation of RL fans), WhatsApp etc.

But i'm not sure I agree with it being "impotent". Yes it's been quiet lately but that's because not only is there no rugby to discuss, there has been very little off-field activity too. When the games are on, there is still plenty of activity on here, especially the match threads, which regulalrly get plenty of contributions and 3 or 4 thousand views.

I think the novelty of the internet was still around in the early days you were talking about. In the same way that people have moved on from emails to texts to WhatsApp etc, I think a lot of people can't be bothered with making the effort to put posts on forums. I do think we have a large number of "lurkers" here, though, as the number of views for some subjetcs indicates.

49 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Well, plenty have moved on to Facebook, for better or worse. There's an official club FB page that people can comment on, plus several fans' FB pages. In 2006 this forum was probably the only game in town if you wanted to discuss Fev. I think this page is probably widely seen as a bit old-fashioned, and certainly you get the impression the average age of people on here is fairly high.

Personally I still like this format as you can actually have a proper discussion - if you post more than a couple of lines on a FB group it looks a bit out of place. People like their discussions a bit snappier these days, hence the popularity of Twitter (which also features a large congregation of RL fans), WhatsApp etc.

But i'm not sure I agree with it being "impotent". Yes it's been quiet lately but that's because not only is there no rugby to discuss, there has been very little off-field activity too. When the games are on, there is still plenty of activity on here, especially the match threads, which regulalrly get plenty of contributions and 3 or 4 thousand views.

I think the novelty of the internet was still around in the early days you were talking about. In the same way that people have moved on from emails to texts to WhatsApp etc, I think a lot of people can't be bothered with making the effort to put posts on forums. I do think we have a large number of "lurkers" here, though, as the number of views for some subjetcs indicates.

Despite my age i can assure you i am not Impotent,not important either.I miss Andrews contributions.

1. Facebook has impacted, for better or worse. 

2. The current limbo. It's neither in season, with games to discuss nor off-season with signing rumours to discuss. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

There are other places now. Facebook must have at least three different Facebook pages. 

For eample... for cultural views, exchanges of exciting badinage and polite social discourse.... the featherstone rovers banter page is a lively arena for the more discerning rugby fan.....

?

52 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

There are other places now. Facebook must have at least three different Facebook pages. 

For eample... for cultural views, exchanges of exciting badinage and polite social discourse.... the featherstone rovers banter page is a lively arena for the more discerning rugby fan.....

?

Robin, society today cannot, on the whole, exist without its daily portion of false news and sleaze. When on the forum, think of thi sen sat in tap oil. Keep safe owd lad.

When the season starts again, I will still be here.  I think our contributions and thoughts are valuable. The only thing missing from our MOM is a prize at the end of the season for the winner. I have had conversations with Steve about this  and I feel we will stay independent in the end with our own MOM procedure. I strongly feel that we can survive in spite of the opposition.  Further our independence gives us outlets the others don't have. Keep up the good work.   

Archived