Draws

Eddie

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Wasn`t that long ago we awarded a point for losing by 12 or less and that didn`t go down well either ...........Personally a wins a win and a draws a draw award points for just that.............golden point is just as big a farce as penalty shoot outs in football .

I agree that golden point needs tweaking and more emphasis should be put into scoring a try and not a drop goal.

I suggested an alternative similar to NFL or drop goals could become obsolete in GP ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/09/2020 at 23:05, Niels said:

I like golden point. 

For me tonight would have been an anti climax as a draw. The extra time period is always great viewing and real pressure for the players. 

I am used to them from the Championship, and I prefer the losing side to get 1 point. 

Used to them from the Championship ?🤨

There's only ever been one !

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

If I can correct , the golden point was used before this year in championship play off matches 

In 2013 Batley reached the grand slam final winning both the quarter and semi finals by golden point.

Batley were also involved in the one you, I think, are referring to against Sheffield.

They also lost one in the Challenge cup in an all championship affair at Dewsbury. 

So 4 so far just for my own team.

50 minutes ago, Niels said:

If I can correct , the golden point was used before this year in championship play off matches 

In 2013 Batley reached the grand slam final winning both the quarter and semi finals by golden point.

Batley were also involved in the one you, I think, are referring to against Sheffield.

They also lost one in the Challenge cup in an all championship affair at Dewsbury. 

Batley beat my team Featherstone on a Golden Point in the Play Off Semi Final. But, that was a knock out game, having it for League games is ridiculous. A draw is a draw for me.

On 13/09/2020 at 15:18, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I do not like GP extra time, unless, as DavidM reminds us, it is a necessity in a knock-out competition, or stage of a competition.  

Further, if, however, you are going to have it, I struggle with the logic of giving a point to the losers and two to the winners, as was planned for the championship.  If losing on a GP is not as bad as losing after 80 minutes, then my brain says that logically winning after GP is not as good as winning after 80 minutes.  The solution would be to play each match for three points, with 3 for a win and none for a defeat in 80 minutes, and a 2/1 split for a match determined by GP.  A consequence of that, incidentally, is that you must play on to get a winner.

However, as I say, except in elimination matches, I would prefer to have a draw for level scores after 80 minutes.

Yipyee, some responses to points you make:

Because not all games have the same outcome; some result in a team's elimination from further involvement in that competition, some don't.

Why and how?  Presumably your suggestion precludes 'sudden death' overtime, such as GP, and requires a set number of minutes of play - five, ten or whatever.  What happens if there is still a draw after that?

What you need to solve that problem is silver point which as I’ve said before is perfect for RL. Then the team who scores first in extra time (silver point) wins if at the end of extra time the scores are level. You play out extra time to the end (so you don’t get that weird unfinished feeling you get at the end of golden point). That way once the first penalty/drop goal goes over both teams know what they have to do to win. 

On 17/09/2020 at 23:17, Niels said:

They've been with us for knock out matches for a long time, true.  But I'd still dispute that four instances in ten years is "used to them".

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived