Sign in to follow this  
Bedfordshire Bronco

Feet inches stones and pounds

48 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

If you worked in any technological discipline it would have been madness to insist upon retaining imperial measurements when  your international customers, suppliers, standards bodies, technical legislation etc was operating under a metric system. At a parochial level its fine but that is all.

And I severely doubt that, post-Brexit, even companies owned by the most ardent Leavers will suddenly go Imperial-only.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

I have been intrigued to notice a number of signs, stressing the continued importance of social distancing, that say that you should keep 2 metres apart, or 6 feet.  Examples include the Co-op store nearest me (in Downton) and all over Salisbury city centre in open space, such as the outdoor part of shopping malls.

Would 6 ft 6 inches have been too much to hope for on these signs?

On 26/09/2020 at 11:07, Griff said:

The change to metric was relatively recent.  The parameters were originally set in yards.

So were they para-yards?  Just asking!

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Its correct that the EU did not force people to use metric, but it was the jobsworths in local govt who needlessly implimented it to the nth degree.

The building industry went metric in 1970, before we joined the EEC.

They obviously did, or at least that’s what they set the UK a deadline for, which they only abandoned in 2007 and allowed dual imperial-metric marking on goods to continue indefinitely. I’ve linked the BBC source on this.

On 26/09/2020 at 11:07, Griff said:

The change to metric was relatively recent.  The parameters were originally set in yards.

When did the 10 metre lines in rugby come in? Both codes have it I believe.

45 minutes ago, DC77 said:

Dunno.  Look it up on Google if you're interested.  I'm sure it'll be there. But we had 25 yard lines when I was a lad.  They changed to 22 metres for a bit before we rounded it off to 20.  Union still behind us with their 22s.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

They obviously did, or at least that’s what they set the UK a deadline for, which they only abandoned in 2007 and allowed dual imperial-metric marking on goods to continue indefinitely. I’ve linked the BBC source on this.

At the start of 1993, as you can see from ARL matches played then.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

At the start of 1993, as you can see from ARL matches played then.

Union was definitely earlier.  Late 1970s.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Union was definitely earlier.  Late 1970s.

1993 wasn't the start of metric, just the start of the lines all being 10 metres apart with numbers.  RL went metric down under before then as can be seen in match videos from the late 1980s and early 1990s.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

1993 wasn't the start of metric, just the start of the lines all being 10 metres apart with numbers.  RL went metric down under before then as can be seen in match videos from the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Ah right - so you answered a question that wasn't being asked.